It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #1

lexdc1 HB User
Cat scan question

Last monday my husband had a cat scan of his brain. If there was a problem, do you think the doctor would call him in?? He has an appt scheduled for the end of Feb, but if it was something serious, wouldn't the doctor want to see him before that? I don't want to get my hopes up, but does anyone know about this? How long does it take to get cat scan results for the doctor? I just want him to be ok.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
(male)

Greentreesquid HB User
Re: Cat scan question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdc1
Last monday my husband had a cat scan of his brain. If there was a problem, do you think the doctor would call him in?? He has an appt scheduled for the end of Feb, but if it was something serious, wouldn't the doctor want to see him before that? I don't want to get my hopes up, but does anyone know about this? How long does it take to get cat scan results for the doctor? I just want him to be ok.
I just had a CT Scan myself. it was yesterday. i called my doctor today. and was told that it takes about a week to get the results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
(female)

mayansun HB User

In my experience, the radiologist reviews the scans briefly immediately but then it takes 3-5 days to get results from your doctor. I have had several CT or MRI scans in the past year and with one exception had to wait a short time for results.

They will contact you immediately if something serious appears. Last May I had an MRI of my head and I got a call that evening to let me know had found a suspected aneurysm (not what I was looking for). You can always call your primary doctor (or whomever ordered the scan) and ask.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:01 PM   #4
(male)

Greentreesquid HB User

After the CT scan, I had an mri and all my results came back normal.

Last edited by Greentreesquid; 06-01-2008 at 05:38 PM.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:19 AM   #5

DEEZELL HB User

Hi my question is, if you have had a ct scan and they came back fine, but you are still having head pains, not a headache a specific pain on top of my head, should you have your doctor do a mri or is it the same as ct scan?

Old 04-19-2005, 07:57 PM   #6

mama8 HB User

No, CT scans and MRI's are different in what they show. MRI's show the soft tissues, whereas the CT scans show the structural areas, if I am remembering correctly. CT scans will not show brain lesions, for instance, in the white matter.

Also, do NOT rely on the doctors to call you if something is wrong. I have had numerous MRI's, etc. and I cannot tell you how many times the lab doesn't send the reports to the doctor and they don't call and ask for them. Over and over I have had doctors tell me to call and check back on reports, to make sure they came in.

Best wishes,
Ramona

Closed Thread