It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

pottselady HB User
Question 10 year old son has an AV malfunction possibly

Hi all - I took my 10 year old son to the ER Friday afternoon and the ER doctor said he may have an AV malfunction. I have searched a little on this but everything I find says it has to do with pacemakers! The doctor said that if he does have it (scheduled for MRI in 2 weeks) he will more than likely have to have surgery done to his brain to correct the problem!

My son passed out at school in late March - the coach said it looked as if you cut down an oak tree. He didn't go limp or anything just fell straight back. When we asked him about it he said he just fell asleep. I took him to the doctor and they did a CT scan that showed nothing abnormal. We just started watching his time in the sun, made sure he had plenty to drink at all times and telling him to play in the grass instead of on concrete (he fell on gravel and cut the back of his head open as well as scratched up his back and arms).

Since late March when he passed out he has complained of being dizzy and headaches after playing outside about 1/2 hour to 1 hour. He usually just relaxes on the couch or his bed until he feels okay again.

Well Friday the county had a childrens day to help make awareness of child abuse and I took my children. Within 1 hour he was complaining of dizziness so I had him sit in the shade at a picnic shelter for a while. Within 1 hour of his leaving the shelter area he was complaining of a slight headache - again I had him cool off in the shelter with more to drink. By the time we had been there for three 1/2 hours he was lying on the ground in pain from a headache. We took him home - gave him a drink and air condition in my car on the way home. He fell asleep on the way home (10 minutes) and then went inside and fell asleep for another half hour. When he awoke he was crying and asked to go to the doctors, when he tried to get out of the bed to walk to me- he fell and couldn't keep his balance. I called the doctor who was booked solid the remainder of the evening so I was told to take him to the ER. As we were driving to the ER he vomited twice and then fell asleep again (about 30 minutes). Once at the ER, I woke him up to go inside - he almost fell out of the car and could not keep his balance. Once inside the ER they looked at him during the initial intake process and he was still complaining of a headache. By the time we saw the ER doctor he was able to walk fine and did not have a headache anymore. He wanted to eat as it was past his normal dinner time. The ER doctor after examining him and explaining about the AV Malfunction and saying he probably has migraines as well and suggesting having him wear sunglasses anytime he is outside brought him a glass of water. The ER doctor then went to call his doctor to find out what he wanted to do next - as he was doing this my son took a drink of the water and began vomitting uncontrolably. They brought in a suppository to control his vomiting. He fell asleep again waiting for the ER doctor to return with release papers (about 30 minutes). He slept all the way home (45 minutes) and then all night.

Anyone had any problems like this please let me know.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
(female)

pottselady HB User
Re: 10 year old son has an AV malfunction possibly

Thank you so much for the correction on the correct term for this. I knew I might have had it wrong but was not sure as I was trying to remember everything the ER doctor said while my son was lying on the table half asleep. I also hope that nothing shows up on the MRI, although I would like to know what is causing his "dizzy spells" and such.

Thank you again!

Old 06-20-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Are you sure he said malfunction and not malformation?Just what does the AV stand for?Try looking up AVM or arteriovenus malformation and see if this fits his symptoms.Marcia

Old 06-22-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

pottselady HB User
Smile Re: 10 year old son has an AV malfunction possibly

Thank you to everyone that gave me suggestions on this condition. I was very upset that the ER doctor even explained the surgery to my son as it upset him very much. We did have the MRI done on Monday and by Tuesday evening we got the results that it looked good - no abnormalities. I was relieved to hear this and so was my son. We will have to repeat the MRI in a few months to make sure everything is doing well since he has had problems.

Again thank you all and God bless.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:29 AM   #5
(male)

nsmatch HB User

Glad to hear your son was ok! ER doctors tend to scare everyone, especially when it comes to matters in the brain. Best of luck.

Closed Thread