It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2005, 01:30 PM   #1

Bjork HB User
Question Hyperreflexia -- What is it??

Hello,

I recently got a script from my doctor, ordering an MRI and it said something under it about my seizure disorder and then under that it said "Hyperreflexia". No one has ever mentioned this disease to me, so I was concerned. I looked it up on the internet and it seemed to have something to do with the brain. So, what is Hyperreflexia? Any ideas how I might have developed this disease? How might it be treated?

Bjork

Old 10-21-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Hyperreflexia -- What is it??

hyperreflexia is actually more of a symptom of either nerve damage or just something that is affecting the nerves.I have this everywhere in all those reflex spots that the docs usually check?(due to spinal cord injuries).tap the area right under your actual kneecap,where your doc usually taps it with that little hammer thing?instead of just that 'normal" littlequick bop out of your lower leg,you will have a much quicker,bigger,or more pronounced type of reflex.All it means really is that your reflexes are hyper,or more exagerrated than the norm.i am also much more easily startled than I used to be before my sp cord damage was done.don't worry,this is NOT an actual disease or a "real' illness of some sort,it is merely a symptom.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2005, 12:53 PM   #3

Bjork HB User

Oh okay.. I know that my reflexes were a bit more pronounced last time...he tapped me under the kneecap and I kicked him in the leg! I don't know about nerve damage or anything... I haven't had any injuries. I read somewhere on the internet that it could be due to medicine I think?????

Bjork

Old 10-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

can you tell me a little more about your seizure disorder?What exactly IS it or what caused the seizures to start to happen?is there something inside your brain(tumor or something like one?)that is causing them?

I guess anything is possible(regarding the meds causing the HR?)but I cannot think of anything off hand that would cause someone to suddenly develop hyper reflexes.Perhaps some sort of stimulant maybe??what meds are you currently taking/have you researched those meds to see if it is maybe a possible side effect?Marcia

Old 10-24-2005, 08:04 AM   #5

Bjork HB User

I have Anorexia Nervosa, and they're not quite sure what caused the siezures, but it is something related to my disorder.They said maybe low blood sugar or whacked out electrolytes, but they don't know for certain. Nothing came up on the MRI and EEG. I'm getting another MRI today because my head hasn't been feeling well lately. I'm on numerous prescription drugs for my Anorexia, depression, and for the seizures. I'll ask about the hyperreflexia when I go get the MRI done today too. Heck, I've been asking everyone about it. I'm just curious. I don't think it's serious, I just want to know.

Bjork

Old 11-05-2005, 03:45 PM   #6
(female)

Sassafrass627 HB User

Anorexia nervosa leads to hypomagnesia (low magnesium levels), and one of the symptoms of hypomagnesia is hyperreflexia (exaggerated reflexes). Any imbalance of the body's electrolytes can cause serious problems. Among other things, magnesium also acts as an anti-convulsant. Abnormalities of magnesium levels can result in disturbances in nearly every organ system and can cause potentially fatal complications (eg, ventricular arrhythmia, coronary artery vasospasm, sudden death). The fact that you've had a seizure and also have hyperreflexia tells me that your magnesium is pretty low. I'm glad to see that you're getting the much needed help for your anorexia and I wish you the very best of luck!

Closed Thread