It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2005, 09:06 PM   #1
(male)

Craiger HB User
Not Lucky - Very Lucky ?

Oct of 2004 I had a aneurism burst bleed into my brain. It was a traumatic blow to myself and family. Headaches, mem.loss, unsteady walking, didn't know people or places I had been, the whole 9 yards. Long story short they managed to coil and after about 3 months of working hard I was very fortunate to end up with very little deficit. At this point I have astounded my doctors and am poster boy on how well you can still be after aneurism. I smashed all the poor statistics given to me on surviving alone and I managed to come back way better than anyone said I would beating again all the statistics on recovery. That's the lucky part. After 3 months a regular cerebral angiogram follow up put me back to the OR then and there. Coils had compacted and they needed to insert more. Got through that OK with the usual set of headaches it seems to trigger. Yes, after another recent angio they have advised me I have to go for the 3rd re-coiling of my aneurism. They are bringing in a Dr. from TO assist on the coiling this time, apparently highly respected and experienced on coiling.They are warning me the OR is reserved for the whole day rather than the typical 1/2 and they may have to use balloons and stents on this go around. I have to admit that surviving the bleed with 2 sets of coiling sure feels lucky. 3rd time around is worrying me. How long can my luck hold out? Has anyone heard of having coiling done 3 times? Dr estimates they have done aprox. 50 of the coiling procedures but 3rd time around is a first for him. They seem to want to avoid clipping at all costs. Does coiling eliminate the option of clipping down the road? I'm thankfull that they feel reasonably safe enough to wait until after Christmas to take another turn at the bat but three strikes and ........ Not going there. The little time bomb in my brain just won't seem to quit. It's just not happy accepting coils as it's final battle. Each coiling seems to cause about 3 months of headaches so at least I can hope for a reasonably pain free holiday. Lucky or unlucky?

Last edited by Craiger; 11-16-2005 at 09:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2005, 02:34 PM   #2

bastila HB User
Re: Not Lucky - Very Lucky ?

Did your memory and areas of deficeces continure to improve? I had a blood vessle break in my brain about 2 months ago. I am at home now recovering. I am very scared of what is going on because of the areas of my life that are effected. I am in my mid. forties. I am receiving some therapy. I am experencing a great deal of anger and sorrow.

Old 11-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #3
(male)

Craiger HB User
Re: Not Lucky - Very Lucky ?

I also mid-forties. My recovery has certainly been, and I expect it to continue, up and down. There are some days I remain optimistic and others where I am completely fed up with the whole friggin mess! My good and bad days are easily recognized by my family. I don't notice it but I can repeat things, get hung up on words, appear confused and "lost" on some days yet feel and act better the next. My family is convinced on these bad days that I am doing too much and I will agree with them sometimes. By far the 1st 3-6 months after the bleed is where I made huge progress in recovery. Just a few weeks after the bleed I would get lost in my own neighborhood, have wild fantasys and sincerely beleive them, annoying urge to shake my arm, could not fathom how a entry pad could unlock car doors, wake up at 4am constantly..... Strangely enough I could read income statements and balance sheets but not unlock a car door - bizzare. I could go on and on but I have almost fully recovered except for some days where I go back a few steps, not many but some. My biggest problem is severe hedaches which seem to be set off when I have a coiling done. They settle down after a few months but very annoying.

Closed Thread