It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
(female)

navymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB Usernavymid HB User
Problem awaking from Anesthesia

I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this on, but I thought I might try...

This is kind of a long story, but here we go:
I am 18 years old and injured my jaw in a sports game in September and because of the injury, have been unable to chew and eat normal foods. At certain points, I have been anemic(sp?) and lost over 25 pounds. I am 5'10" and weighed 147lbs before the injury and was 120 before my recent surgery. I had my fourth jaw surgery three weeks ago under general anesthesia. I had problems awaking from the anesthesia and was in a coma-like state for 10 days. What I mean by that is that I could hear everything that was going on around me, but I couldn't move at all and I couldn't open my eyes. I had problems breathing on my own as well and actually stopped breathing a couple times and had to be put on a ventilatior. The doctors said that my muscles were extremely rigid and that I never had a fever. Over 30 doctors saw me and they could not figure out what was going on other than I could have had a reaction to pain medication they give during surgery?
To me, it sounds like they overdosed on the pain meds and the anesthesia. I had an MRI, CT scan and two EEGs and the neurologists said they were slightly abnormal, but nothing that lead them to any conclusions. Have any of you heard of this happening before? All the doctors said this is a very rare reaction and they are not sure exactly what happened. They are just calling it an atypical neurological reaction to sedating agents.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread