It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

annabee HB User
Question 13 y/o diagnosed with Intraventricular Cyst

Hi,

My 13 y/o son has been having severe, progressive headaches over the temple, mostly on the right side, and they come & go about every other day. But, they are unpredictable. His pediatrician asked him a series of questions, and he ruled out migraine. He decided to order an MRI just to be on the safe side.

My son had an open MRI, and it had severe artifact because he has braces. However, it showed "significant dilation of the posterior horn of the right lateral ventricle". The radiologist suggested a high field magnet MRI with diffusion sequences. So, we had that scan done about 3 weeks later. That scan was stopped midway due to artifact from the braces, and also because the radiologist found the cause of the dilation. My son's scan showed a large, ovoid ependymal cyst in the right lateral ventricle in the posterior horn. The cyst measures approximately 1.7 x 2.5 x 3.7 cm.

Anyway, we were referred to a pediatric neurologist. The neurologist said the cyst is probably congenital, and that the headache is probably unrelated to the cyst. She referred us to a ped neurosurgeon. The ped neurosurgeon said it appears to be a Choroid Plexus cyst, in the right lateral ventricle, and it does not show signs of obstruction at this time. She wants to be conservative, and follow it for several months. She has referred us to an ophthalmologist for an eye exam, and also suggested we get 2 more opinions from other surgeons.

As of today, my son is going to an ophthalmologist on Saturday, and we are scheduling a ped neurosurgeon appt in Miami for the week of July 5th.
Does anyone out there have experience with this same type of cyst, (ependymal or choroid plexus), with a child (he's 13), or any other advice or experience? I would love feedback. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User
Re: 13 y/o diagnosed with Intraventricular Cyst

Hi,
I see no one has responded to your post yet. I don't have this experience with a child, but my husband had a similar situation.
He was daignosed 3 years ago with a coloid cyst of the third ventricle. He was set up for surgery within 2 weeks, as the cyst had probably been growing most of his life, and was causinig much distortion of the brain, along with fluid build up and many, many sypmtoms.
He had what he thought were migrane headaches beginning in his late teens, right up unitl the surgery (gone now).
Also, panic attacks, anxiety, memory issues, eye sight trouble, etc... He actually had prostatitis - (pain in the prostate area - many usual tests, and no medical explanation - but now it's gone). So, we don't really know what other symptoms he may have had over the years, due to this cyst.
He had to have it removed, because it would have just kept growing, and could have caused a stroke, or even death. It's been 2 1/2 years since his surgery, and he is doing great - even better than before.
And, thankfully, it's a totally benign occurance - any very rare also.

I don't know if this is similar to what your son has - but it could be. Good luck with your appointments. I'm sure your son will come through fine.

marymk

Closed Thread