It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User
Question question about brain mri does anyone know?

i have a question about having a brain mri i just had one lastnight and the neurologist said it was normal besides tumors what does the brain mri show does it show how the blood flows through the brain if there was a blood clot would it show it or an anuerism? they didnt want to use contrast unless they saw an abnormality that they needed to see clearer like i said what about a blood clot or aneurism? cant he mri without contrast detect that

Old 07-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User
Re: question about brain mri does anyone know?

mri's see the physical stuff..like tumors, different parts of your brain. mra (same test just different software) sees your arteries and vessels. they can do both with or without contrast. you can see something of the arteries on mri's just not much and you cant see blood flow. i know they pointed out to me my abnormal basilar artery on an mri then later showed me it on angiogram. if they are worried about your blood vessels they will do a angiogram but not unless the mri suggests sonmething as an angiogram is pretty invasive and not without risks.
contrast just makes abnormalities show up better.
hope this helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

thanks for the info i was just curious about anuerism or blood flow so they dont do the anagram unless the mri shows something abnormal is that right? this is the mri report

non contrasted mri of brain

normal gray white differentiation ventricles an sulci arent dialated. there is no intercranial hemorrage, infract,mass effect,or extra axial collection. flow voids are seen from all major vessels. Cerebellar tonsils are normally positioned. paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells are well phneumatized. the orbits bones and soft tissues are intact...

conclusion...normal noncontrast exam of the brain

Old 07-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User

looks like everything is normal. but if they are concerned about vessels they will do a cerebral angiogram. it is quite invasive and i find very unpleasant.
i believe they can also do a doppler for some of the vessels which isnt invasive. i think that is mostly for the ones in the front and back of the neck. but good thing is you havent got any infarcs so if there is something screwy with your vessels they havent caused any damage.
janet

Old 07-18-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

ya when are doctors usually concerned about blood flow what symptoms do they look for ///for what symptoms would they send someone for that kind of test do u know>?

Old 07-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User

it depends on which vessel is having the problem. for myself it was one of theback vertebral arteries and my basilar artery. these two feed the brain stem, vision, and movement. i was losing chunks of vision, i had viscious vertigo and i was falling down all the time. i eventually also started to have strokes. at 38 years old strokes isnt particularly the norm. so depending on which vessel is in trouble will dictate which symptons are going on. a good neuroloist doing a full exam and listening to symptons should be able to narrow down which vessel if any or what part of the brain is having problems. for example if you have vision problems they would look at the back of your head...if you are having problem regulating your temperatur they would look at your thalamus etc.
janet

Old 07-18-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

nikigrl8883 HB User

great im afraid of that too about blood flow my symptoms are lightheaded all the time blood pressure goes up and down including heart rate unpon moving or standing it increses my heart rate...tired little spasms at times in diffent parts of body body pains at times when this statred blood sugar dropped very low one day since then its been ok one night i woke up with my right arm numb shook it off and then i felt my blood circulating through my body for awile after ive had nausea changes in bowel pattern not bad headaches but once in awile i get slight ones overall i cant do anyhting anymore becasue i feel so out of it....chest pains heart races palps sometimes..im 22 yrs old and scared to death im going to see another neuroligst this friday ive already seen one who i didnt like at all...he did an eeg and a basic nueroligcal exam and i had the mri recently but im not convinced yet that its not myhead

Old 07-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

janet119 HB User

hi sorry it took me so long to answer you. for me, there was something drastically wrong with me. i was in the hospital with speech problems, couldnt walk, kept choking etc. they did an mri. the mri showed several strokes and they could see my basilar artery a little bit and saw something not right with it. so they did an angiogram and found the arteries in my head were really messed up and that is what what causing all my problems.
janet

Old 07-27-2006, 06:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi niki,i have to say that given your symptoms i am rather suprised that they didn't do this with contrast,thatw as just kind of a stupid thing to do when you are trying to detect any abnormaliteis within the arterial structures.the contrast would have helped alot in highlighting possible problem areas.i just don' get that decision not to use it when you were right there and it was availiable.

the best way to really see the arterial structures without going invasive like with an angiogram,which IS the best possible way to check actual blood flow thru the brain,would be with whats called an MRA.this just highlights strictly the arterial bloodflow by looking at only just the arteries themselves and nothing else there to actually get in the way of seeing everything.all you see on the films is a bunch of arteries,no soft tissue oranything else,so it would be very hard for any vascular abnormalities to actually "hide" behind another structure.

this was the way my aneurysm was actually found.it never showed up on my MRI.it was almost missed on the MRA too only because it is located at a bend in the cerebellar artery and it is also very very close to the junction with the vertebral artery as well.but they DID find it,thank god.

But if you really really do need to actually have the blood flow itself checked,the angiogram would be the test of choice.i am due for my post coiling follow up angio here like right now.i had my aneurysm coiled back in november last fall and now they just do follow up angios to make sure everything is still okay with the coils(they can herniate back out of the anerysm sometimes(don't even want to go there)or to also see if any new fun and exciting aneurysms have deveoped along the way.oh yippie.

what exactly is your doc trying to really look for here anyways?I would definitely discuss the possible MRA,with contrast in order to really get the best possible look without the invasiveness of angio.but that can still be done if needed.by why do that if you dont really have to ya know.they do carry inherent risks.just speak with your doc.

I would start seeing an actual neurosurgeon Vs neurologist as the neurologists just really don't have the overall knowledge and expertise that a NS does of having actually worked within the brain and the spinal cord,ya know?my NSs werealays much more knowledgeable than any of the neurologists I have had to see for continuing issues.they would be able to give you ansers to some questions that most neurologists really have no clue as to how to answer as they have never been there,ya know?if its for anything more than a headache you have,seeing an NS would definitely be much better than yet anther neuologist.thats my opinion anyway and i have had to see plenty of both types of neuros over the years.

i just wanted to ask you too,have you actually had an MRI done on the c spine area as well?there are a couple of nerves that travel down from the head and into the c spine and go down to around the c 8 nerve then loop back up into the head again,so it is defintiely possible to be having what appears to be brain problems but with the cause being a problem in the C spine that is affecting one of those cranials that loop back up.just an FYI.it wouldn't hurt to obtain a c spine MRI when you should have to possibly go back in for either a contrsted MRI or that MRA,they can be done at the same visit without you ever having to actually get out of that tube.they can do one and roll into the next type of test by just changing a few things with the MRI settings.so it would not be any sort of an inconvenience for you to have both done at that same time.like I said,just a thought.

please let me know how things are going and what you find out.Good luck,marcia

Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #10
(female)

fallenleaf HB User

When my s/o had his MRI done I asked them if it was going to be done w/contrast. The hospital staff replied that it is ALWAYS done with contrast if it is an MRI on the head. I felt good about that. But apparently, not all hospitals do it that way. When he got his done it was w/wo contrast. Pictures with contrast and without. I'd insist if I were you. Especially since they are so expensive.

Closed Thread