It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
(female)

rsvl.kathy HB User
Question Buzzing at base of head

I have been having the strangest "headache" for almost one week straight. Although there's not any pain, I have a strong buzzing sensation at the back/base of my head. It almost feels like I have static electricity in my head. It varies in intensity during the day, but is always there. It seems the worst when I lay down to go to sleep at night. My neck is a little tight & sore as well. The only thing that seems to help is shaking my head around a little, or applying pressure to the base of my head. I've tried to stay hydrated, and I've been exercising regularly & eating well, but nothing seems to help. I'm 33 and otherwise healthy (although I am in pre-menopause).

I had the same buzzing/vibration headache last Christmas, and it lasted almost two weeks, then suddently disappeared. It's extremely distracting. Can anyone offer suggestions on what might be causing this, or what I can do to make it stop?

Old 08-27-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: Buzzing at base of head

Have you contacted your DR.?

If this is accociated with electric shock type pain,it could be considered Lhermittes.It can come from paramenopause,pinched nerve in the neck,and other neurological disorders.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #3
(female)

rsvl.kathy HB User

Thanks for your fast response! I haven't had any electrical impulses like you describe. I looked up Lhermittes on the web, and it doesn't sound like what I'm experiencing. The "buzzing" I have is constant. I notice it more sometimes, like the intensity has been turned up, but it's always there. I don't have any other symptoms - no nausea, fatigue, fever. Even when I get a slight headache from it, it's in the back/base of my head. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Old 08-31-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
(female)

brainygirl HB User

Actually I know exactly what you are talking about. I often suffer this but it is a symptom of my brain tumor. It is not a single symptom I suffer though, so I wouldn't want you jumping to conclusions about this. I also have pc seizures, can't add worth a poop any longer and have many visual disturbances which keep me from driving. The buzzing stays mainly at the bottom base of my head now, sometimes I feel as though there are a hundred bugs crawling just under my scalp there and other times I feel as though someone is holding a power tool against my head and won't stop. My seizure med (Trileptal) is the only one which has helped this sensation (and I have tried most of them!). The med doesn't much help my seizures, but I can live with them much more than I can the buzzing in my head which is typically severe without the meds. You definitely need to go to Dr. It could be nothing, or it could be something you shouldn't let go. That old saying... "knowledge is power" holds a lot of meaning.

I wish you well!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
(female)

mehappy2 HB User

If you are on soy, do a g..gle search of soy and parkinsons and altsheimers and other nerve damage type things. You will be very surprised. New data coming out.

Also a link to the chinese melamine scrap and soy protien story that is in the news..

Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
(female)

gdschillins HB User

I have a disorder called Chiari. You might look it up. I too have that sensation and in the last year it has actually gotten worse. Mine doesn't stay for days it stays for hours and sometimes I Feel the need to grab something because I'm afraid I'm going to shake myself to the floor. I also have a type of seizures caused by stress and my nuero said that the stress could easily cause this sensation too.
Good l uck on figuring it out. There is so many 'brain' realated things that if your not looking for one specific such as Chiari they'll miss it with a blink of an eye.

Closed Thread