It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

kathleen21 HB User
electric pulses/shocks in my brain

for the last month or so, I have been having these sharp brain zaps/pulses that hit my brain every five minutes or so. They don't feel like a headache, and they last for less than 1 second and then its over; five minutes later, I get another one- almost like biting on tin foil with a filling-except worse. Probably will have a fifty/day... I have had an MRI that is clean and an EEG that is abnormal, but not enough for an epilepsy diagnosis. They HURT and I can't do anything to make them stop. I was on nortryptaline and just got a script for topamax. My neuro thinks they're migraines, but they feel like a seizure! Anybody heard of this??

Old 10-14-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
(female)

greeneyed girl HB User
Re: electric pulses/shocks in my brain

Kathleen Have You Recently Came Off An Antidepressent? The Reason For Asking Is I Get Them When I Forget To Take My Cymbalta. Also I Heard That Several Others Will Do That For Several Weeks. Just A Sugestion,[ Spell]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

tiresome HB User

What you described is very much like I what experience except mine does not hurt at all. I do get confused after too many or have word finding difficulties. I was told it was complex partial seizures but when I have had EEGs (a 24-hour and a 5 day video EEG) nothing showed up. I had MRIs to check blood vessels, still nothing showed. I have seen many neuros and all have differing opinions from migraine, complex partial seizures, depression, to nothing the matter at all. I have an appointment at Mayo Clinic Nov. 14th, I am hoping they can figure it all out as I have many varying symptoms that come and go as they please.
Are the "odd sensations" (as the docs like to refer to them as) always the same? Mine differ in intensity but always last about the same amount of time, just a quick flash. But I can have several in a row, go days without one, once they lasted 39 days (everyday all throughout the day). I have been on all kinds of anti-seizure meds but none of them affected them. I have one kind that I have only had while laying down and with that one, I kind of think I hear a noise with it but it is so fast I can't tell for sure. But that one can wake me from sleep. How did yours start out? Mine started in 2002, so few and far apart that I didn't think much about it untill they gradually became more often and more irritating.
Laura

Old 10-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

kathleen21 HB User

I am on no medications prior to these zaps. They so not cause confusion. THey are merely pulses/ or zaps of electricity that envelop my brain; not my head as a headache or a hangover does. I feel it envelop the lining of my brin as if a shealth around the brain has just fried off. Gross huh? I have been on the topamax for about a week now and it seems to be leesening them. The doctor said these would take a while to build up in my system to have any effect. I am inclined to think these have been small convulsions/seizures brought on my stress. If any one has any thoughts please feel free to post. Thanks.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
(female)

kathleen21 HB User

bump bump bump

Old 01-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
(female)

kathleen21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen21
bump bump bump
Hey laura,

Any news from the mayo clinic? After some research, I found that these mind "pulses" "shocks" can be related to anxiety. There have been some posts about people suffering from anxiety getting them...Thoughts?

Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
(female)

tiresome HB User

Nope the Mayo Clinic was not of much help, clean MRI, EEG and blood work so he is thinking either complex partial seizures or migraine. He also mentioned perhaps stress related but I can have them when not stressed at all. My primary doc heard "something" while listening to my chest the last couple times I was there so she ordered a holter monitor for my heart and I am supose to hit the button when I have one and see if it is related to irregular heart beat. Sorry I haven't been of much help for you.
Laura

Old 01-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

Could you be electrically sensitive? I am and when I am sitting under flourescent light, near an electrical appliance, or outside near or under an electrical line I have what I think you're describing. It's a sharp pain, not like a headache pain, it's hard to describe. If you haven't, do research on electrically sensitivity. Good luck!

Closed Thread