It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
(male)

Spadexcore HB User
Brain Damage Question?

Throughout my life i've had a few concussions and a lot of serious blows to the head. I've been knocked out several times before, but never seen any serious change in myself.

This time however, was considerably different.

I seem to no longer be able to pick up on sarcastic remarks; when people say things to me such as, "YEAH WHY DONT YOU LEAVE!" in a negative yet joking way, i take offense to it. I take them seriously and have trouble distinguishing the truth from sarcasm. Other embarrassing examples such as "Nice Hair" when its actually messed up i beleive them and don't go to fix it.

I would think it to be impossible for someone to lose the ability to pick up on sarcasm, but this is becoming a serious problem when i nearly became physical today. Everyone asked what was wrong, and why i didn't take it as a joke.

How can we fix this situation? Is there permenant damage? Or is the cause something else entirely.

Last edited by Spadexcore; 02-19-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
(female)

Janster HB User
Re: Brain Damage Question?

Have you researched around about concussions & such?

Concussions are strange & powerful things... can change a lot and including personality changes.

I was in an auto accident, concusssion, knocked out, skull fracture...etc.

I do things now (3 years later) that I found unusual and blame the accident/concussion for it...or, perhaps its old age?

Sometimes while talking to poeple - I get all tonque tied (never used to do that before). I still find my concentration can shift from one thing to the other and not even realize it.

And yes....You can experience personality changes - mood swings, etc. I've had people tell me that *I'm not as nice as I used to be*....
My new personality wants to grab their neck and strangle them!! (laugh) does that confirm what they said? (laugh)

Try researching more about concussions and sports injuries.... YOu might learn alot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Brain Damage Question?

Have you ever actually had an MRI done after any of these concussion events,espescially the last one?the thing about concussions is they can cause "cumulative" damage,meaning any new ones are possibly creating more definitive brain injury or issues.it does appear that your personality has been somewhat affected here.did this change occur after this last concussion?were you anything like this before the concussion?from what you have explaned regarding your reactions it sounds like your brain is just having a hard time interpretting actual meanings of sentences not an actual strange reaction to just sarcasm,you know what i mean?you are thinking more in literal terms now.my son was in this very same phase,for him it was a phase that was part of his brain injury,for about three months or so post TBI.

it appears that when you hear comments,you just take them for what they are,and fail to interpret the fact that they are not actual litteral or "on purpose" type of statements.

just what caused the last concussion?were you actually "out' or did you stay awake and alert and oriented thru out the whole experience?were you actually evaluated post concussion by a neuro?did they do any sort of scan of your brain like MRI or even a CT to check for possible bleeds?i really really would highly reccomend you getting an MRI with contrast to see if there is actually any noticeable type of damage there.brain injury doesn't always show itself in any sort of scan or will immediately then dissipate over time.but you are having problems here that do need to be addressed with a thorough eval and therepy.my son had excellent cognative therepy at the rehab hospital he was sent to right after his accident,it all happened to be located at the level one trauma center they took him to.but you most definitely need to see whats up in your brain and also be evaluated by a good rehab therepist,they are highly trained at picking up on differences in thinking patterns and assessing issues like yours.luckily,some of these types of issues can be somewhat corrected to a point with good cognative therepys.

but getting that MRI with contrast really does need to be done first.you just need to see if there IS something there before doing anything else.i wish you lots of luck with this.i do know how frustrating this is for you.i watched my son go thru this and it was not always easy for him or me to watch him struggle with really simple things that most people just take for granted.please get that MRI done and let me know how you are doing,K?Marcia

Closed Thread