It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User
Brain Fog Question?

I am wondering if what i am experiencing is consider brain fog. I suffer from daily headaches. Dr. thinks they are tension type from what I have described. I have been suffering with these headaches on a daily basis for years now. I also lightheadedness/dizziness with these headaches. vertigo but not spinning vertigo, it's more motion.. I feel like I am swaying or tilting and at times I get a sinking to the ground feeling. My question is lately I have this mental fog feeling, like I have been drinking all day.
(when I haven't) I wake up in the morning and I feel really out of it. As if my mind is working slower then it should and I find myself getting confused. The same feeling you would get if you were drinking or taking cold medicine. Sometimes it lasts all day, sometimes it wears off some throughout the day.. But mostly I feel like I floating around all day, if that makes sense. Is this brain fog that I am experiencing and can it be related to the daily headaches and vertigo?
Thanks in advance for any advice.. Boxerlover227

Old 02-22-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User
Re: Brain Fog Question?

Get your red blood cell count, testosterone, & estradiol E2 tested.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

boxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB Userboxerlover227 HB User

thanks for your input.. but I am still wondering is this some type of brain fog I am feeling?

Old 02-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

If your red blood cell count is very high it can cause brain fog, headaches, muscle aches, & dizzyness. Too many Red Blood cells to flow through the small areteries & veins. They get plugged up. It can be serious.

Too low testosterone and/or too high estrogen can cause brain fog. This applies to males & females.

Last edited by JinL; 02-22-2007 at 05:56 AM.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

there could realistically be many possible causes for your headaches and the brain fog,having certain body systems not working properly is just one of those possibilities.it wouldn't hurt at this point to just have some basic metabolic labs run to see if everything is where it should be,at least then you can move onto something else as far as testing depending on what pops up or dosen't,on the labs.its just part of the diagnostic process,test and eliminate and move onto the next step.

when you stated the 'doc' is this your primary or another type of doc?have you ever seen a good neurologist for these?they really are the best type of doc to see regarding headaches.for anything else i would always reccomend an actual neurosurgeon,but honestly,when it comes to treating and diagnosing headache issues,an neurologist is just the go to person for this.

have you ever had any sort of scan like MRI to try and determine if there is some sort of actual very real generator of these stemming from inside your brain?

considering your symptoms,an MRI with contrast would really be the best way to start here.if that shows nothing remarkable,an MRA which only highlights the actual arterial structures within the brain and nothing else would probably be a good step after that.or you could possibly have the two tests done at the very same time.an MRI and MRA are done the same way you would normally do an MRI,the changes are at the tech end,all you have to do is lie there,they do the rest.if you want the best possible overlook of your brain the MRI/MRA really would tell you alot all at one time.the MRA is needed to basically check fpr any possible vascular malformations that could be causing your type of symptoms.this is the only test really that actually picked up my brain aneurysm,just because it was at a bend inthe artery and could not be seen on the MRI i had done about three weeks before the MRA.the MRI would look at all of the more soft tissue structures and could possibly find something up there you have never been aware of.there are all kinds of congenital crap that a person can have inside their body and just not really know it til it is found upon testing it for some reason.this was how my spinal cord cavernoma was found,by accident when i had an MRI done on my c spine for a herniated disc.it had been there since before i was born but just never knew it even existed til it was found upon having the MRI for another reason.they call this an 'incidental" finding.

i just think if you have not even had a basic MRI with contrast by now,given your symptoms and the continuing brain fog you are having,well,its time to take a good look inside the old brain.seeing whats going on in the c spine wouldn't hurt either.some c spine problems(this i know from alot of personal experience,going on right now)can also cause you some pretty nasty headaches and the same type of brain foggy issues.the c spine will most likely show up on any brain MRI so you probably wouldn't need an extra test just to see that.if the rad tech sees something while they are looking at your brain that is actually going on within the c spine,they would make sure to note it and follow it up with a scan or two.but you need to start getting more aggressive here with your doc about getting answers.you shouldn't have to keep suffering without someone actually working with you here to try and find the cause of your symptoms.

your primary can actually order the MRI/MRA thing so you would have these films already when you see the neuro,but you really need to start seeing a doc who deals with headaches,and that would most definitely be a neurologist.good luck and please keep us posted,K?marcia

Old 02-23-2007, 01:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Have you gone for therapy for these headaches? Your symptoms are most likely all related to each other. If you are tense, this tenses up your muscles in your neck causing your headaches and affecting the blood vessels going to the brain. I had all of this explained to me when I went to the physical therapist. Try getting treatment for your headaches, not meds., but hands on therapy, and I bet your other symptoms go away.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kasey~

I used to have massage therapy before the headaches got this bad and you are right it did help a lot. I definitely tense my shoulders throughout the day. Mostly from anxiety!!
I find that just touching my muscles (such as shoulders) are so sore.
I also clench my teeth, and have some TMJ issues, so I am wondering if there is a connection to this as well. A few months ago I saw a physiatrist, that specializes in pain management and physical therapy. He mentioned that all these headaches are more tension type, especially the feeling of pressure behind my eyes, and my jaw makes some clicking, and clunking sounds upon opening and closing. He suggested medication but I was hesitant. I hate feeling spacey as it is and taking muscle relaxers and antidepressants I am sure will lead to more space!! I just worry about the vertigo end of it. It's really strange, I don't feel like I am spinning, I feel like I am floating, or falling, For example last night I was in the kitchen making dinner and I turned around quick to get something and I felt as if I was going to pass out for a
split second But I NEVER do Or DID, or I feel as if I am sinking, If that makes any sense???
And I also notice if I turn my head and then turn it back I feel an after effect of motion.. If that makes sense as well?? I know if I am having a very anxious/stressful day the symptoms become 100 times worse. I have had this now for 9 years on and off. I thought maybe it was a heart problem but I was sent a few years ago for all kinds of cardio test and everything came back normal. Then I thought inner ear
I do notice if I am sitting or standing I feel so much discomfort in my shoulders and neck almost like a pulling sensation. so maybe it is all related. And just about all my symptoms subside if I lay down. As if all the pressure in my shoulders and neck subside.
I really appreciate all the input and advice. I get really frustrated and scared at times feeling this way. Did you have the same type of dizzy feelings or were yours more a spinning? As for the headaches some days they aren't so bad just a constant pressure feeling and like I mentioned that pressure is relived when I lay down. And other days they are so bad all I want to do is sleep. I also do notice if I lean my head back all the way I can feel the tension!! Thanks again for any advice.. Boxerlover

Feelbad~ I thank you also for all the information you sent me as well.
I haven't had a brain Mri in years. When I mentioned it to My Dr. sometime ago she was hesitant at sending me saying my symptoms would be a lot worse if it was serious. At the current time I don't have insurance that would cover such a test, so yeah I guess I am going to have to wait on that one.
I had a physical less then 2 years ago while I was pregnant and everything seemed good then, even though I had these symptoms, but maybe you are right perhaps a simple blood test is needed. I started giving up on Dr's when they started to not take me serious and looked at me like am a nut case, said I am having anxiety and sent me on my way!! Just gets frustrating because I know what I am feeling is real!
As I mentioned to Kasey I am thinking there is a relationship between my TMJ and all this as well.. Thank You again for all your advice.. Boxerlover

Old 02-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

Your symptoms sound like some I have with Meniere's disease. Have you been checked for that? Good luck!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Sammi2
No actually I haven't. Can you tell me alittle bit more about it. I always thought with that your symptoms (flare up) and come and go. Mine seem to be all the time 24/7 except when not sleeping! Thanks for any info!

Old 02-24-2007, 04:04 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Boxerlover, you really should go to a therapist and get your neck and upper back worked on. It's very obvious by all your symptoms that they are all related. Not all PT's are alike and the one I went to was one of the very few who was trained in the deep soft tissue work. This is what you need. If you just put a little pressure on your neck and it hurts, that shows your muscles are very bad, and if you lay down and they subside, that is because they are just more relaxed then. Try putting way more pressure on your own neck, give yourself a firm massage, and out into your shoulders also. Just doing this will bring some of these symptoms on. I didn't have dizzy spells that made the room spin, I felt like I was floating half the time, I almost fell over a few times but always caught myself. It is common that sometimes the symptoms will be better because your muscles aren't as tense then. But this does not go away on its own, a PT will tell you this, our muscles have a memory, and these symptoms will just keep moving around and changing, not go away. I had it for 6 months before i found out what the cause was, my regular doctor couldn't even figure it out. A trained physical therapist in soft tissue massage can help you. Your doctor can refer you or if your insurance allows it, you can go on your own, I have gone myself when I knew this is what I needed. And yes, this is considered brain fog. I hate it, I have had it twice for months, and I was so out of it mentally, that it took me 6 months of running to the doc taking meds ( with no relief ) before I figured it out on my own ( a little pain in neck ) and went back to the therapist. Many therapists just to the exercise therapy and very little hands on deep tissue work, you need the deep tissue work done, exercises right now can aggravate this. Let me know what you find out. Good luck

Old 02-24-2007, 06:23 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just an FYI,but your doc was really rather wrong in telling you if something was indeed serious,your symptoms would be worse,believe me,and this comes from experience and alot of research done on alot of my rather ***arre and off the wall type symptoms,it all depends on what the "serious' actually IS that will dictate the severity of symptoms.my brain aneurysm never gave me any actual headaches of any sort just odd feelings inside my head with heat 'flushes" that started about midway down the back of my head and then would slowly 'flush thru my c spine and be gone.these were my only symptoms,nothing else.

there are just so many possible medical issues,alot of them actually congenital,that can be occuring almost anywhere in side your body at any given time that will actually show no symptoms at all til something just causes it to 'present" itself in some way.my spinal cord cavernoma had been in my cord since sirth,but i never had actual symptoms of this thing and it was only upon MRI for another reason that it was actually found there lurking right below the area where my herniated c 6-7 was.no clue it was there at all.i really do think that you should,at this point when nothing appears to be explaining some of the more obscuretype symptoms,that an MRI/MRA would really be the best next step here.some of the problems you are having can very well be attributed to over tight muscles in the back of your neck area,but in alot of cases,the tight muscles can be stemming from some sort of inflammatory response(this is my particular case)within another area.mine is from my c spine mess.

this has just gone on for too long now and getting anMRI would at least help to rule in or out many possibile causes.if everything comes up clear with having both the MRI/MRA done,well then you have probably excluded alot of the more erious types of causes for your symptoms and can work with a good therepist to try and relieve that constant tension that is causing the muscle prblems and headaches.but you just NEED to be sure it is nt from something else.there are just so many possible malformations and other types of issues you can have within the brain and the cord that honestly just wont show themselves unless something actually triggers them to show themselves.alot of aneurysms,when still small,will be whats called 'silent' they are not yet to the point where they are seriosly impacting any structures or nerves so they just sit there and grow til they finally DO start affecting things around them.

just finally obtaining the needed look inside the brain will help alot in many ways.ithink your doc should really want to do this for you since she doesnt appear to really know whats up either ya know?all she has to do here is write the referral and her involvement for this is done.i would really just tell her you want this done in order to just see or make sure that these symptoms are not stemming from the brain,at least it would lessen your stress(which is actually adding to the problem) and give you peace of mind if nothing shows up.i hope she will finally send you for this.please keep us posted,K? good luck,marcia

Old 02-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

With Meniere's some people experience brain fog, memory loss, very tired, dizzy, sometimes full blown veritgo, 24/7 especially when it first starts. I have tiredness & brain fog a lot of the time. Hope you're better soon.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
(female)

wendyjcs HB User

boxerlover227, have you found an answer?

I have your exact same symptoms: tension in neck and head, not really vertigo but what I call "wooziness". I can especially identify with: "As if my mind is working slower then it should and I find myself getting confused. " Like all my thoughts are going through a funnel. Seems to be gone if I lie down for a while. Feel my best in the morning but seems to kick in shortly after I rise. As if my neck is too stressed to hold my head. Not really pain, more like I feel like I have heavy books on top of my head. It also, when especially bad, seems to come forward into face and eye muscles. My MRI was negative. Chriropractic on the neck SEEMED to help for a while, now is not. Physical therapy exercises seemed to help for a while, now not. PT had me (among other things) walking down a hallway while turning head from side to side but also focusing eyes ahead. I found/find it very challenging to do; I wobble and my eyes don't want to stay on the one spot. (But he also said he didn't see nystagmus, although my primary care physician said he did.) Allergy meds (ENT) and reflux meds (PT thought it might be silent GERD getting up into inner ear area) did not help. Massage didn't do anything. Placing a hand under my chin and the other at the base of the skull in back and lifting seems to bring a bit of relief, but when I let go it comes back and I can't walk around like THAT all day... It's been going on for months.

Where do I turn next?

Old 03-09-2007, 08:00 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Wendyjcs~
No I haven't but I can tell you this, everything you described is exactly what I feel as well.. I usually post on the headache board. I have a post there called Chronic Tension Headaches By Boxerlover227. Go there and read over this thread. You will find myself and others, feeling the same thing.
Keep me posted either on this thread or that one, and I will do the same!
I feel your frustration in all of this as well, it's a horrible feeling, and makes daily life such a challenge! Talk to you soon Boxer

Old 03-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #15
(female)

wendyjcs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerlover227 View Post
Keep me posted either on this thread or that one, and I will do the same!
I feel your frustration in all of this as well, it's a horrible feeling, and makes daily life such a challenge! Talk to you soon Boxer
Thanks, I will check your other posting and let you know if I find out anything. Isn't it awful how it just takes over your life! Having a mysterious syndrome become the main focus of your life is quite the drag... Wendy

Closed Thread