It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
(male)

dublad23 HB User
Eye Won't Open - 3rd Cranial Nerve Damaged

Hi Guys!

I wasn't sure where to post this so I hope it is ok to post here. I am really just hoping that someone might have some experience of it or know anything that might re-assure me or share an experience / story.

About 3 weeks ago I started getting headaches out of the blue which got gradually worse. 2 weeks ago went to A and E and after a CT scan was taken to Beaumont.

That Saturday (13 Days ago) my left eye completely closed and I have been told that my third Cranial Nerve is damaged. This I think is the nerve that allows the simple function to open my left eye.

The Dr's are all a little "it may heal but will be a long time" but the optician who I know is not an eye Dr was more along the lines of "they generally don't heal"

The sight is still there if I hold the eye open.

The reason it happened was due to an aneurism which has since blocked itself and is trapping my optical nerve. That is the Dr diagnosis although nothing definite showed in any of the scans I had and it would be too risky to operate to find out for 100%.

I just want to know if anyone has experienced this as it is getting me a little depressed and I don't even want to go out. I feel really self conscious and wonder how it is going to affect my life. I know people will always stare and wonder etc. Also in work I wonder if I can work with Computers with the one eye for 8 hours a day.

Thanks in advance guys

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Eye Won't Open - 3rd Cranial Nerve Damaged

have you had any second or third opinions from any other neurosurgeons?from what you stated,i am assuming this aneurysm has not actually been treated itself yet?this really sounds like a kind of odd sort of dx of your situation.they can do other more definitive types of testing to really see exactly whats going on in there.i see where you actually had a CT done but what othwer types of scans or testing have they done on this so far?MRI,MRA,angiograms?there is also a scan called a 3T or 3 tesla scan which uses three times the magnestism of a regular MRI.i had to have this one done after my aneurysm dx just so they could see things more clearly.i have kidney disease as well and the contrast dye is very bad for damaged kidneys so i have to decline it when it is needed.have they even done an actual MRI WITH contrast on you yet?this one really would be most defintely needed in your case.they really do need to see just how this aneurysm sits with that nerve in order to find the best way to actually treat it.

i also have a very noticeable droop to my left eyelid(along with a permanently constricted pupil) but mine was from sympathetic nervous system damage done during my spinal cord surgery.i have what is called horners syndrome now because of just the SNS damage.you know what?just live your life and get thru your day trying to pretend it doesn't exist.i know thats hard considering your situation,but when projecting a self awareness of any actual flaw we have or defect,it really does show itself in the way we act around other people,you know what i mean?i just think of my eye as normal and that is what i project to other people.it did bother me at first as when it first happened it was much more pronounced and i was very much aware of it all the time,but after a while,i just decided i wasn't going to agknowledge it anymore to my head.it does take a while but you can do this.the thing is,when we 'feel' not perfect in some way,it does affect us in that it makes us feel somehow 'less' of ourselves when we very clearly are not.something has just changed on the outside and it creates that in our heads.if we don't agknowledge that it even exists and we interact with people that way,they really don't notice it either after a bit of time with you.YOU come thru to them,not the 'flaw'.if you keep on agknowledging it to people or draw attention to it by keeping your head turned you are making a much bigger issue out of it than it really actually is,you know what i mean?

hopefully getting another opinion and consulting with what are called interventional neuroradiologists,you can come up with the best possible solution and or treatment plan.but you DO need to know exactly what this thing looks like totally and completely before anyone does anything to it or you.knowing who you have actually consulted with(the types of docs) and just what scans you have had would really be a big help here for me.Marcia

Old 10-13-2007, 04:38 AM   #3
(male)

dublad23 HB User

Hi

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I probably should have been more clearer.

I started getting Headaches this day 3 weeks ago now and was admitted to A and E on the Wednesday where I had my CT Scan done. I was originally told they thought it was a meningioma at the Hospital but they had sent my scans over to another hospital where the Neuro Team there requested that I be transferred there straight away as their conclusion was that it was an aneurism.

When I got there I had a Lumber Puncture which showed clear which cast doubt over the aneurism. I then had another CT scan the following morning and also a MRI. Nothing conclusive showed up here either although they did speak about the meningioma again.

That Saturday - 2 weeks ago today - my left eye just closed and the pupil was not responding and had increased in size compared to the right eye.

On the Monday I had an angiogram. This resulted in them not finding one of the blood vessels which I guess would normally appear. This resulted in them telling me that nature had taken it's course and that the aneurism had probably blocked itself - they said if they had seen it sooner they would have put a balloon in to block the aneurism.

They went on to say that the Optic Nerve was probably trapped and the third cranial nerve may be damaged and it is a case of wait and see what happens. I was on steroids but there was no change so I have been taken of them now.

I am waiting to see the Eye Dr again but I do fear that I have complete Third Nerve Palsy. The eye does open though a very slight bit and I still have vison in it although this can be doubled at times.

I know it is a case of getting used to it and I am trying and I know in everyday life people always look at others for no reason but paranoia does set in a little.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i have to say that i am really a bit baffled as to how in the heck they thought doing a lumbar pucture would either rule in or out,and actual aneurysm??thats just not possible,really.it would only show increased or decreased CSF pressure and not any sort of difinitive type of real Dx.CSF pressure changes for alot of things but not actually with or without the presence of aneurysm.mine did not actually change from mine.they never did a lumbar puncture,they can tell using other ways too.its kind of invasive so they don't usually go there if they don't have to ya know?

i really do think you need a more in depth type of full MRI scan on your brain.there are actually two different forms of vascular malformations,one is arterial and the other is venous.any actual venous fed malformation WOULD NOT actually show on any type of actual arterial scan.this is what i had inside my spinal cord.when i had to have an angiogram done on this thing it was to try and determine if it was an arterial fed AVM or a venous fed cavernous hemangioma.i was told that if it did NOT actually light up once the dye was added,it was not the more feared high pressure AVM.well,it did not light up,so i was Dxed with it as venous fed,which was good since it was not going to 'pump' out blood when it bled,all i had was little oozes becasue it was low pressure.i do think this may be the case for you too.you just really DO need to find out for CERTAIN what is actually compromising that nerve,then find out any possible treatment options.

its just from what you have stated,they are using terms like it is 'probably' something?you need definites here when this is in your brain and affecting YOU.you know what i mean?i would seriously keep pushing this with whoever you have to in order to really find out what you are actually dealing with.in some cases,a good neurointerventional radiologist can work thru the vascular structures and remove any type of clots or crap within the structures.you would be amazed at what these interventional rads can do inside arteries and veins.you just need good solid facts here in order to try and releive that pressure off that nerve,and do it before that nerve becomes permanently damaged in some way.i seriously would keep pushing this.if your current docs are not willing to give you the answers you need,move onto someone who is willing to go there for you.unfortunetly sometimes when it comes to our health and dealing with docs,we have to take matters into our own hands in order to get the best possible care for us and our children too.i have been there.start demanding the right answers.they owe you that much as a patient.don't stop til you know for certain whats up,not probably whats up,you know?please keep me posted onhow things are going,marcia

Old 10-15-2007, 03:32 AM   #5
(male)

dublad23 HB User

I am not sure why they did the Lumbar Puncture, perhaps it was just to rule out other things but I was sure that when the fluid was clear that they said it more than likely wasn't an aneurism.

I think they are fairly sure with their diagnosis of it having been an aneurism and that nature took it's course.

They did say that to do anything else would be too risky

I just feel I have lost the motivation to chase it, I have to wait another few weeks for an out patients appointment and it is just getting me down. My eye is in constant pain and it is really getting to me.

I don't feel I can live a normal life like this. I am pretty certain that it is Third Nerve Palsy that I have - I just can't find out much about it or healing times or even similar stories.

I am living in Ireland and it is really hard to see someone here once you have been discharged from Hospital - you are talking weeks

Old 10-31-2007, 03:42 AM   #6
(male)

dublad23 HB User

Hi Again!

Well I actually went back into A and E that morning - 15th - after the severe headaches returned and I was re-admitted.

I had Surgery last Thursday - It started only as exploration surgery as the scans I had re-done didn't really show up anything new.

The Aneurism has been diagnosed as a paraclinoid thrombosed aneurism and that does look like it blocked itself off.

When they went in they found a blood clot which seemed to be trapping the nerve and they were only able to remove a little bit as it started to bleed and was also in between two other nerves so the risks were pretty great according to my consultant.

The 3rd nerve palsy is still present and the Dr can't predict whether it will heal itself.

Does anyone have any idea about this - will the clot eventually dispappear itself? Or is it possible that it may move etc? I'm a little worried about this now.

I have been put on a lot of ain killers suchas lyrcia etc.

Thanks again

Closed Thread