It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

swinny06 HB User
Unhappy dilated pupil with headaches

Hi guys- I don't really know where else to go and ask for help. I will try to explain this in the best way possible. 5 or so weeks ago I was in a bad car accident and suffered a concussion. about 3 weeks after the car accident I was at work (I work as a tech in an emergency room) suddenly got a severe headache that dropped me to my knees. Finished out my shift and went home and sleep. Woke up at 6am still had the headache but other than that, no complaints. Woke up again at 11am and I could not see out of my right eye. Went to the bathroom and noticed that I had a severely dilated pupil in my right eye. Call my PCP and he sent me to another ER for a head CT. Got a head CT which came back normal so they sent me to an ophthalmologist. He came to the conclusion that I got come kind of medication in my eye at work the night before that cause my pupil to dilate. Didn't make much sense to me, but what do I know, I am not a doctor. I was at work last night helping in a sterile procedure when I noticed that my vision started to go blurry. I walked out of the room and right into the bathroom where I noticed that my pupil was again dilated. I had woke up earlier that morning with a severe headache and a sore neck (just chalked it up to the extremely busy night the night before). I had one of the ER doc look at it and he ran a bunch of tests. Everything looked normal besides my retina was cloudy. He ended up checking me into the ER for another CT angio of the head and neck. They were not able to do the angio because I am severely allergic to iodine. So he ordered a MRI and MRA of the head and neck. That came back normal. When I get a dilated pupil, it usually last a week or so and then slowly goes away. I am kinda annoyed and want to figure out what is going on. My ER doc told me to follow up with my ophthalmologist on Monday. I don't really see a point going back to him because he is just going to tell me the same thing. I just think it is kinda weird that this always follows a headache/migraine. I have only ever had 1 other migraine in my life and that was like 12 years ago. I just thought I would get your thought and opinions..

Thanks guys-
Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User
Re: dilated pupil with headaches

Kelly,

Have you concidered seeing a neurologist? When your eye dilates is it still reactive to light? I know migraines can be induced by any sort of head trama and they can effect your vision. Pupil dilation comes from the 3rd cranial nerve(I believe thats the correct nerve, dont quote me on that.) perhaps there is some sort of trama to that? Seeing a Neurologist just may help sort this all out for you.

I had a MRA of the Brain and Carodids in the past, and was told by a cardiologist that they can detect abnormalities in the larger vessels, but not the smaller ones. That was about 4 years ago, so techknowledgy may have improved since then, I'm not sure, but thats what I was told then.

Glaucoma can also cause unilateral pupil dilation but I would think the eye doc would have detected that. The statement about getting medication in your eye being the cause is their way of saying they dont know why its happing in MY opinion.

I certiantly feel what is happening to you warrents further evaluation to make sure this isnt something that will progress, or effect your vision permanetly. It could turn out to be because of the trama during the accident may have made the 3rd cranial nerve hypersencitive and may just need some time to settle down, BUT I believe you should have it evaluated by a neurologist just to make sure. Just my opinion of course.

I wish you the best, and please let us know how you make out.
Take care, and GOd bless.
Annette

Old 05-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
(female)

swinny06 HB User

My pupil is sometimes reactive to light... The first time it happened it was stone cold solid and would not move at all. Last night the docs said that it was very slightly reactive to light but not much at all. I wasn't going to follow up, but I probably should. I think I will call tomorrow and see if I can see a different opthamologist since I hated the last one I saw.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
(female)

swinny06 HB User

So I called this morning to make an appointment with the ophthalmologist. Luckily the one that I saw last time only works Thursday's so I have to go see another guy. The bad news/good news is that my pupil is going back to its normal size. I really wanted him to see it when it is bad. I still have my bad headache. Still not really reactive to light. It will only constrict to a certain point and then it will dilate again. Hopefully this guy is going to figure out what is going on... I will let you know what he says tonight.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

swinny,

Thanks for the update, I sure hope you get some sort of answer tonight...
wish you luck!

Annette

Old 05-19-2008, 03:54 PM   #6
(female)

swinny06 HB User

Thanks, unfornately, I did not find anything out tonight. THe eye doc said that it is from my concussion I got when I totaled my car, which doesn't make sense since I hit the left side of my head and my right side of my head is the one giving my problems. I guess if it happens again, I will go to my PCP, but the eye doc said if it happens again, to come back, but what are they going to tell me that I haven't already heard and proven wrong. UHH so frustrated.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

swinny,

Well the fact you hit the LEFT side, and its your RIGHT side thats bothering you that pretty much says it IS neurological cause! Just MY opinion of course. Thats how the brain works, the right side of the brain works the left side of the body, and the left side of the brain works the RIGHT. I would concider seeing a neurologist if it were me.
I had a craniotomy on the left side of my head, and I lost the peripheral vision in my RIGHT eye, thats how the brain works.
If it were me I would at least consult with a neurologist to make sure this isnt going to progress..

Wish you well...
Take care, and GOd bless
Annette

Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
(female)

swinny06 HB User

Thanks so much... As soon as it happens again, I am going to call my PCP so he can see it and document it, and then I can get a referral to either the headache clinic or a neurologist. I am soo fed up with this. Thanks for everything!!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Momof2sons HB User

swinny,

Your welcome. I sure hope you get some answers soon.

Annette

Closed Thread