It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

andrea4013 HB User
Numbness?

I hope that some one can shed some light on the symptoms that I am having, because I'm really scared. In about September of 2004 I started having numbness on the left side of my face and down my left arm. The numbness was kind of a numb sensation, but it was not numb to the touch nor did I lose any movement. The numbness in my face is along my left jaw line kind of into my cheek and along the outer corner of my left eye. Also, the left corner of my mouth and the left side of my tongue sometimes feel numb. There is no drooping or anything like that. I do not have these symptoms all the time. I can sometimes go weeks without them. I do have a little bit of pain in my left shoulder and neck and upper left back. The pain is not bad at all, though. If it was just the pain I could very easily live with that. It is the numbness that really scares me. Atfirst I thought maybe a pinched nerve, but everything that I have read says that a pinched nerve in your neck does not cause facial symptoms. I did go to a neurologist in December of 2006. My neurological exam was normal and he did an MRI just to be sure. The MRI was normal. His answer was that sometimes these things just happen and can't be explained (?). I spent alot of money out of pocket to see him & for the MRI & cannot afford to keep going back and forth to different doctors. I also have random pains on the left side of my head. They usually only last for a few seconds. I do sit at a computer all day at work & have a bad habit of holding the phone between my shoulder and ear on the left side to free my hands for typing. I have not had any accidents or injuries. Also, one thing I forgot to mention, when I hold my left hand or arm in certain positions, it will shake a little bit. My biggest fear is that I have some kind of neuromuscular disease. I am a 25 year old female & the only other health issues that I have is autoimmune hypothyroid disease. I take .75 mcg of Synthroid everyday. Does anyone have any expierence with any symptoms like this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
Re: Numbness?

Hi, andrea. As far as anything revealing itself as "evidence," an MRI from 2006 can be very different from one today. The best bet for what you're describing is to continue following the neurologist's route. Please don't get yourself all up in arms thinking it's neuromuscular -- it's not necessarily the case. I don't think things like this are "nothing" but it doesn't necessarily have to be serious. That said, best to get to the bottom of it! I hope you can figure something out with insurance so you can get some financial assistance to find out what's going on.

Closed Thread