It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
New help with 17 year old (PCA posterior cerebral artery)

Hello,

I have a 17 year old daughter who has Type I diabetes and rheumatory arthritis. She suffers daily with both of these terrible diseases and now may have something else to worry about.

She had started complaining of headaches which are turning into migraines. She said that she is always dizzy even when her sugar levels are normal. She has double vision, complains that things get black on her and she cannot see for a few minutes and has a whole day of memory loss but the doctors said that was from a severe sugar high that put her in the hospital.

Well I took her to a neurologist who has ordered MRI's but we are waiting for approval from insurance. She did have an EEG which was normal. She also had a transcranail doppler which has me worried. They faxed me a copy of the report and it states that the right PCA was low and the left was not detected. The right EICA was also low. What does this mean?

The doctor has mentioned that there was a small possibly that she may have a clot during the exam but it this was he was referring too? I have searched online and cannot find a lot of useful help.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: New help with 17 year old (PCA posterior cerebral artery)

honestly? with only that type of test to go on,i really seriously doubt you will really know anything for certain without the contrasted MRI that doc has ordered unfortuently. a much better test,given this part that you only know right now,would be to have whats called an MRA instead of or along with the MRI they are planning. the MRA only shows actual vessels within the brain with no soft tissue structures to get in the way,which in some cases can actually hide a big problem. this was my case with my aneurysm a couple years ago. becasue it was in the bend of an artery and really hard to see,it was also kind of hidden from view from the other structures there surrounding it,it never actually showed itself on my MRI. but it did very well with the MRA and also the angiogram i had to have following the Dx of it from the MRA.

i unfortunetly really don;t see how they will actually know anything for certain til she can get the contrasted MRI and also possibly the MRA too. the type of test she had only gives very very limited amounts of info,ya know? both tests can be done during one visit so she would not have to have seperate visits to do this either. they just really NEED a good hard look into her brain vessels,and the MRI/MRA is the best way to start with right now anyways. hopefully she will be able to actually get this done much sooner vs later so the wait just to know whats up wont be too long. but she does need further testing here,you just don't really know too much right now with only this one test. hopefully whatever it is up there is not to major and can be managed or removed without any huge procedures. they can do amazing things now with going from the groin into the femoral artery and snake all the little tools to fix vascular issues in peoples brains. my aneurysm was coiled and taken care of this way. no having to cut into the brain area for anything at all. beleive me it was a huge relief. if this is indeed a vascular issue,chances are you will be referred to a good neuro interventional radiologist who can do those amazing things in our brains like i had done.

please keep me posted on anything you find out,K? just try and hang in there. i know what its like to have a child with some major medical issues too. it can be scarey, but you will get thru this. once you have more solid info to go on,it will help alot in dealing with this. its that ugly fear of the unknown right now that sucks the most. take care and let me know whats up,K? good luck,Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
Re: New help with 17 year old (PCA posterior cerebral artery)

Thanks for the reply. She is actually scheduled for MRA of the brain and carotids and an MRV of the brain so hopefully we will get some answers and soon.

Closed Thread