It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
(male)

phmtakes3 HB User
Partial numbness in mouth and fingers

Does any one know what can cause a numbness in the left corner of the mouth and the ends of the fingers on the left hand?

I have had this for over a year. I have been tested for Lyme desease, MS, heart conditions and have had a CAT scan, two MRI's and a MRA. I have also had a spinal tap. Nothing is showing up. This is driving me nuts. It gets more pronouced in cold weather. It feels like it is right under my skin and kind of like a novican shot.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by phmtakes3; 10-28-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User
Re: Partial numbness in mouth and fingers

hi phmtakes3

I get that sometimes too.....but how long does it last for....a whole day?a few hours?Do you have low blood sugar,because sometimes when your blood sugar drops it can make part of your mouth numb and your mouth alsomay quiver a bit.It can also effect some of your fingers.
You might want to keep a log of when it happens..like if it's when you're hungry,or been exercising,etc....then you could see if there's anything that triggers it.

Keep us posted....take care

Scout~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

also it wouldn't be Raynauds Syndrome,because it doesn't affect both of your hands....and Raynaud's has to do with hands getting numb in cold temperatures.....just thought about that and wanted to mention it~Scout

Old 10-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Phmtakes,

Welcome to the boards!!! Since your doctors have tested for many things and still have come back with nothing, I would suspect lyme. Yes, I know you've been tested for it and (I assume) it came back negative...but the tests for lyme are of limited value. The tests most doctors use are outdated...the best tests are done by Igenex Labs in CA and no, all labs can'd do all tests. Like prescription meds, some lab tests are patented.

Neurological symptoms are common with lyme...because the bacteria can invade the cranial nerves which control many sensory functions and motor components of the facial nerves. The fact that your symptoms get worse in cold weather is not surprising...different stressors can trigger symptoms...a change in temperature, humidity, barometric pressure; an unhappy anniversary; certain foods; alcohol; etc.

You might want to check out the lyme boards for more info/support.

Oh, and from what I understand, they diagnose over 4000 cases of lyme in Pa each year.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
(male)

phmtakes3 HB User

The numbness is continuous. It is more pronounced in cold weather.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi phmtakes3

Did you have any blood tests taken to rule out low B12 or diabetes?Also I would get a complete blood work up to see what's going on with your electrolytes,magnesium,etc.if you haven't had those checked in awhile.

Scout

Old 04-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #7
(male)

mpw85260 HB User

Hi phmtakes3. Did you ever find out what was causing the numbness in the corner of your mouth? I am going through the same thing. It's been 3 1/2 months now. Sometimes I get tingling in my cheek too. I also have had a negative MRI of neck, brain, and MRA. Am curious to know if you were ever diagnosed or if your symptoms eventually disappeared. -Matt

Closed Thread