It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
(male)

bsol HB User
Seeing Stars

Hey,

I'm not sure how long this has been happening, but occasionally I "see stars." It never happens for more than a few second. Sometimes its triggered if I jump don't from something, or today when I was warming up lifting weights I saw stars after one of the sets. It also sometimes happens when I am just walking around. I'd say on average it happens once a day.

I am 19 years old now and played football from age 10 to age 17. I recall one or two times when I was hit and "saw stars," but I never blacked out or anything. Furthermore, I never experienced any symptoms which I attribute to this up until a few months ago (I didn't start seeing stars in my everyday routine until a few months ago).

I am also depressed and oftentimes my head feels numb/emotionless. I am not sure if that is related or a bit of hypochondriasis, but I thought I should include that.

Any ideas? Normally if I had a problem with my body I wouldn't be concerned, but now that its my brain I am kind of worried. Thanks a lot!

Edit: Also normal/low blood pressure, low cholesterol, etc. - otherwise healthy

Last edited by bsol; 11-03-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Seeing Stars

bsol,

Welcome to the boards!!

As with most health conditions, many things can cause these symptoms...but I see you note "normal/low blood pressure"...

Low blood pressure can be one of the "causes" of seeing stars...and some eye problems (some of which can be caused by low blood pressure) also can cause stars. Although most people experience seeing stars at some point in their life, you say that you are experiencing the stars daily...that suggests that you should get in to see a physician about your problem. The treatment may be something so simple as increasing your fluid intake and your electrolytes, but it would be best to check out causes other than low blood pressure.

Bethsheba.

Last edited by bethsheba; 11-03-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
(male)

bsol HB User

Come to think of it, my diet contains virtually no salt. I watch everything that I eat. I'll make sure to salt my food at dinner and hopefully some of this will be relieved. I also have been having on and off muscle spasms that last a few minutes in my shoulders, calfs, quadracepts and triceps which seems consistent with lack of electrolytes. I drink a lot of fluids which might even worsen this (dilution of electrolytes).

Old 11-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Bsol,

Sounds like you've got the problem identified!!! Low salt intake, an electrolyte imbalance, and poor fluid intake all contribute to low blood pressure!!

You may be able to correct the problem within hours/days...but if your symptoms don't go away, do see the doctor just in case.

I'm sure others will pipe in and say that anemia can cause these symptoms, and it can, but it was unlikely given the info you've shared and the fact that you're a guy.

Take care!

Bethsheba

PS Make sure you're getting enough calcium as a certain amount is necessary in order to metabolize some of the electrolytes.

Last edited by bethsheba; 11-03-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

Hi Bethsheba!!!!

I just want to give you a Big Thank You!!!!You are so helpful to so many of us here and it is truly appreciated

Hope you are feeling well....you give so much of your time and knowledge here and that is very selfless of you

You have helped me understand many,many things....so glad that we have someone like you here on these boards

I am awaiting the results of my blood labs and uninalysis/culture and I am curious to see how everything comes out

Hope you have a good day.

With heartfelt thanks

Scout~

Old 11-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

aether4 HB User

I suggest seeing your doctor for at least a couple of blood tests. If it is that your sodium is too low, other electrolytes may be too low or even too high.

Closed Thread