It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
(female)

etssa HB User
Question Questions about spinal tap testing for pseudotumor cerebri.

What all tests from the spinal tap do they do? As in what all do they test for.
And I was wondering with pseudotumor cerebri, what all could cause it.
I think I know that birth control can, what else anything like pain pills and stuff? I have lots of things they have me on and I'm wondering what could have caused this, I'd really like it if any of you nice people could help me out.
Thanks.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
Re: Questions about spinal tap testing for pseudotumor cerebri.

Etssa,

Welcome to the boards!!

I think you are wise to question the diagnosis of and the tests for pseudotumor. As far as what can cause it, one cause is medications and 10 different kinds of medication (pain pills) are in this one category alone.

I don't know what your symptoms are, and I don't know what the intensity of your symptoms are, but I would SERIOUSLY question the need for a spinal tap and I would also SERIOUSLY question the risks involved of having a spinal tap and I would question what could be learned from a spinal tap, and what the accuracy of that diagnositic test is!!! If it can only diagnose 5 percent of the cases of a certain condition, and it poses a risk for ongoing headaches, for instance, I don't think I would have the procedure done!

Doctors do many, many unnecessary tests for several reasons:

1. They make lots of money doing these tests....it is a very lucrative business!

2. They're afraid of lawsuits should they miss something...overtesting "covers their b###s.

3. They get more patient referrals if they also refer...I'll pat your back, you can pat mine!

Here's a site that may provide some additional info:

[url]http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000351.htm[/url]

In addition to doing some reading about the condition and about the testing/diagnosis, I would get another opinion before having an invasive procedure done.

Sorry if I sound like such a skeptic, but I've learned the hard way and the posts on these boards serve only to reinforce my opinions.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 11-09-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi Etssa~

They generally do a spinal tap for pseudotumor cerebri to see what the opening pressure is in your spinal cord. pseudotumor cerebri is a build up of the CFS fluid. It can be caused by many things such as being overweight.

I have chiari malformation and pseudotumor cerebri is a related disorder of chiari. So I am familiar with the headaches accompanied with this.

I am not a fan of spinal taps because I had a bad experience, leaving me with severe head pain and pressure I didn't have before the procedure. But many people have it done and have no problems at all. Do your homework on this and in the end, its a personal decision if you want to go forward. I know with pseudotumor cerebri this is a tool for diagnosing by the opening pressure being high.

Good luck

Cindy

Old 11-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
(female)

etssa HB User

Hi I just thought I'd let you know I decided to get the tap, its on Tuesday. My Optic Nerves are very swollen so even though I didn't get it done yet they put me on Diamox, its made me have horrible headaches, and feeling very light headed. Kind of like a head rush feeling if you let all the blood rush to your head and come up really fast then you laugh, thats how I feel sometimes, is that normal?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
(male)

Ben76251 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by etssa View Post
Hi I just thought I'd let you know I decided to get the tap, its on Tuesday. My Optic Nerves are very swollen so even though I didn't get it done yet they put me on Diamox, its made me have horrible headaches, and feeling very light headed. Kind of like a head rush feeling if you let all the blood rush to your head and come up really fast then you laugh, thats how I feel sometimes, is that normal?
My doctor thought I might have Pseudotumor cerebri, and also put me on diamox. I took one pill, and said the hell with it. I also got very light headed, and I felt (for lack of a better explanation) as if I were slowly dying. It felt like I was getting weak, and drifting away. NOT a good feeling.

What are all of your symptoms? Please get back to us.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
(male)

Ben76251 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben76251 View Post
My doctor thought I might have Pseudotumor cerebri, and also put me on diamox. I took one pill, and said the hell with it. I also got very light headed, and I felt (for lack of a better explanation) as if I were slowly dying. It felt like I was getting weak, and drifting away. NOT a good feeling.

What are all of your symptoms? Please get back to us.

One other question. Did you get your optic nerves diagnosed at an eye doctor? I wanted to have this done, but am not sure if a regular eye doctor can do so.

Closed Thread