It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

bestoldies04 HB Userbestoldies04 HB User
Brain MRI Results Should I Be Concerned??

I have had a series of tests, 15 blood tests, EMG, MRI of Brain and Spine, muscle biopsy. My Sed Rate and Creatine Kinase is elevated with severe muscle weakness and inflammation. This is the only results I have so far, the Brain MRI and muscle biopsy. The muscle biopsy showed I had Myopathy. The Neurologist told me I had lesions called flairs, white areas that showed up in the Brain MRI, he thinks I have Multiple Sclerosis. He has ordered a Lumbar Puncture and another test that involves the brain this is done in his office. I received a copy of the Brain MRI I wanted to see why he was doing the additional test on the brain. This is what was identified on the MRI report, the Neurologist did not tell me about the first one.

1. Noted is single (azygos) anterior cerebral artery. This is an uncommon anatomic variant which may be associated with circle of Willis aneurysm. Recommending a MR Angiography of the brain be performed.

2. A few patch foci of periventricular flare hyperintensity in the frontal lobes are nonspecific.

Should I be concerned about the findings concerning the Cerebral Artery?

Last edited by bestoldies04; 11-25-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Brain MRI Results Should I Be Concerned??

you DO need either an MRA(only looks at strictly arteries in the brain) or the recommended angiogram to really know for certain whether or not you indeed have an aneurysm or some other type of vascular malformation up there. there are many different types of vascular malformations you can have going on both within the brain and the spinal cord too. they can be congenital or created over time. but this does need further testing to really know whats up back there. i had an aneurysm back in 05 that did not actually show up on my MRI,but my neurosurgeon being the thorough type of guy he was also wanted to totally check things out,thats when he sent me for that MRA,which did show mine in the left cerebellar artery,off the circle of willis,or the "COW". anytime they start talking about the COW,they are referring to the circle of willis,they just use this alot just so you know.

i am not to certain about the other finding in your MRI but you DO need to find out just whats going on in that artery soon. this,i do think is the higher priority right now. one of those two tests i mentioned just NEEDS to be done,soon. the angio will be recommended to you just so a neuroradiologist can really see from his perspective whether you have one and if it can be coiled for you too. mine was coilable and believe me,this IS what you want done if you have one since the other option would require surgery. its the least invasive way to treat alot of arterial malformations in the brain. good luck and please keep me posted. Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestoldies View Post
Noted is single (azygos) anterior cerebral artery. This is an uncommon anatomic variant which may be associated with circle of Willis aneurysm. Recommending a MR Angiography of the brain be performed.

Should I be concerned at all with this?
Hi, bestoldies. The portion of the MRI report you quoted has nothing to do with MS. (I understand you just posted part of the report.)

Also, when you say "The Neurologist told me I had light waves they are called flairs that showed up in the Brain MRI" I don't understand what you mean. With MS, if something shows up in the brain on an MRI, they're called lesions and they're typically in very specific parts of the brain and are ovoid in shape. (That said, lesions can present atypically but most commonly, it's what I stated.) When lesions are "active" they do light up when contrast is administered but they're not "light waves", they just enhance.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
(female)

Thanks Marcia and Bearygood for your reply. I must have misunderstood the Neurologist when he mentioned light waves showed up in the MRI. This is not what the MRI report showed, it mentioned white patchy areas were seen, Flairs. I wasn't sure if I was worried for no reason. I am having a test on the brain at the Neurologist office on December 4th. I would hope they would get me in sooner if they thought it was life threatening but one never knows. I will be glad when I find out what is going on. Thanks again to both of you for replying, have a very nice Thanksgiving.

Last edited by bestoldies04; 11-24-2008 at 04:56 AM.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

glad to help. that angiography that was mentioned to do at the very end of your first post IS and would be the very best type of test to see whether or not you do indeed have some vascular malformation such as aneurysm. this is something you HAVE to know as soon as possible. no type of test done in any neuros office can check that BUT and angio or at least an MRA done which only shows arteries. thats what needs the most attention here for now. i would push to get either that angio or the MRA done as soon as they can arrange it. please keep us posted. good luck best. marcia

Old 11-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
(female)

Thanks Marcia,

I will call doctor today and see what type of test he is doing and stress about the Angio or MRA. I hope he is there today since this is a holiday week.

Thanks for all your help, you have been most informative.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

glad you are checking into this sooner vs later. given the fact that your previous report has actually recommended the angio,it shouldn't be too overly difficult for your doc to refer you for one. let us know how things go,K? good luck hon. Marcia

Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
(female)

I called the Neurologist and my primary doctor yesterday no return phone call yet, I called and left a second message. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I have additional information.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
(female)

The Neurologists assistant called she called my home number not my cell phone number so she left a message. This is what they had to say.

This is a normal anatomic variant nothing to worry about.

Since when did the definition for the word uncommon change.

I called her back she was with a patient, I left message that I want a explanation. I asked if she was saying the MRI report is wrong the reading doctor made a mistake. I am waiting for a call back.

Last edited by bestoldies04; 11-25-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:56 AM   #10
(female)

My primary doctor called me last night whom I have a lot of confidence in. He said the Brain MRI is a over-read by the Radiologist. He said this is standard practice with Radiologist even if they see a faint shadow they acknowledge it, he said too much information is better than not enough. This is a valuable tool needed if the Radiologist is called to testify in court. He told me not to worry about it that my Neurologist is a very good doctor, he has looked at the MRI Scans to verify that it was nothing serious. I feel confident with what the primary doctor told me since it matched with the Neurologist statement.

Thanks to everyone for their concern and valuable information. I am lucky there was not anything seriously wrong with the Cerebral Artery. Have a safe, healthy, and happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited by bestoldies04; 12-01-2008 at 06:34 AM.

Closed Thread