It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
(female)

krave1 HB User
tingling, numbness, crawling sensation in scalp and face

hi, i am a newbie here and i read some posts about people with similar symptoms to mine and now i cant seem to find the thread so i thought i would start a new one.
i have had this for about 3-4mths now.
it starts in the back of my head and goes up my scalp to the top of my head and my forehead and i also have the same feeling on my face (mainly my chin).
It is always there but sometimes it is worse then others.
it crawls and tingles and feels numb (but not to touch) and burns but sometimes feels cold too (like a brain freeze).
The other week i went to the ER cause it felt like someone had lite my head on fire and this lasted for a few hours with no relief from pain killers.
i have been to several GP's most saying it is anxiety (makes me feel like i am crazy and making it all up),a few said it was my sinuses (cause i do suffer sinus pain etc) and the last wrote me a refferal to see a neurologist cause he thinks it may be neurelgia but i cant get into the neurologist until end of Feb next year :-(
right now it is like the top of my scalp is tingling and burning and my forehead and my chin feels numb.
I have had a CAT scan done for my sinuses with just some inflamed sinuses. Blood done last friday.

I have suffered in the past with anorexia, depression, borderline personality disorder and anxiety but i am med free and feeling great apart from this damn head thing.

Any ideas???

oh yeah i forgot to mention that it seems to be worse at night when i lay down and feels like the putting pressure on the back of my head whilst laying down is making it worse. Also it seems to make me sweat when laying down which is weired cause i am not a person who sweats!

Last edited by krave1; 12-07-2008 at 09:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
(female)

cutiepye HB User
Unhappy Re: tingling, numbness, crawling sensation in scalp and face

I have anxiety and i am suffering from the same thing Do your muscle ache I am so close to just screaming i am puzzled i just tired of being sick anxiety happens to the best of us see what traumatic experience you had recently it can be linked i thought i was not under any pressure but when i went to the therapist i found out i was under more stress than i anticipated

Old 12-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

css1 HB User
Re: tingling, numbness, crawling sensation in scalp and face

check out

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome

it's one of those "rare" things, like 2 out of a thousand people get it so it is diagnosed incorrectly by almost all medical professionals

do a google search and some reading and see what's what

it's worth a shot

hoped that helped
good luck

Old 12-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
(female)

countrygirl3144 HB User

You may want to look into MS also. I have some of the same syptoms as you. I am currently on pain meds to help until I can have all of my tests done. Also, it could be a pinched nerve.
I hope everything works out for you and good luck.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krave1 View Post
hi, i am a newbie here and i read some posts about people with similar symptoms to mine and now i cant seem to find the thread so i thought i would start a new one.
i have had this for about 3-4mths now.
it starts in the back of my head and goes up my scalp to the top of my head and my forehead and i also have the same feeling on my face (mainly my chin).
It is always there but sometimes it is worse then others.
it crawls and tingles and feels numb (but not to touch) and burns but sometimes feels cold too (like a brain freeze).
The other week i went to the ER cause it felt like someone had lite my head on fire and this lasted for a few hours with no relief from pain killers.
i have been to several GP's most saying it is anxiety (makes me feel like i am crazy and making it all up),a few said it was my sinuses (cause i do suffer sinus pain etc) and the last wrote me a refferal to see a neurologist cause he thinks it may be neurelgia but i cant get into the neurologist until end of Feb next year :-(
right now it is like the top of my scalp is tingling and burning and my forehead and my chin feels numb.
I have had a CAT scan done for my sinuses with just some inflamed sinuses. Blood done last friday.

I have suffered in the past with anorexia, depression, borderline personality disorder and anxiety but i am med free and feeling great apart from this damn head thing.

Any ideas???

oh yeah i forgot to mention that it seems to be worse at night when i lay down and feels like the putting pressure on the back of my head whilst laying down is making it worse. Also it seems to make me sweat when laying down which is weired cause i am not a person who sweats!
The one thing that jumps out at me here is you've struggled with anorexia in the past. This can cause gradual malnutrition, so it suggests what you may be suffering from here might be a vitamin/mineral deficiency.

The description of your symptoms is consistent with B12 deficiency, but this is just a suggestion, there's many things that can cause your symptoms. You should get the serum B12 level checked. Lower than 600 and it might be your problem, although this is an oversimplification.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

hi "k"

well you have a few things going on here.

first I have sinus problems...and whenever I've had a sinus infection that was really bad...I couldn't lay down,because the pressure was tremendous...just like you described.

next those pins 'n needles feeling in your scalp and chin...do you get them in your hands/feet also?do you ever get an electric-like pain/shock that starts in your head and goes down through your spine?

those burning/cold/pain feelings sounds like sme sort of neuropathy...I know how that feels.

do youhave any cold or heat intolerance too?

sorry for the ????,but need more info~want to help~

Scout

Old 12-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
(male)

siddhartha HB User

Hi Krave, I have pretty much the same thing as you, among other symptoms. The scalp definately gets worse when I lay down, I also have head pressure and I can feel my head constantly pulsing, do you have this? I also had a CAT scan and it showed my sinuses were mildly inflammed, but I was told these aren't really linked..?

I've also suffered from anxiety and I think the tingling/numb/burning scalp can be a symptom of it. Also do you have foamy or bubbly urine, I don't think this is linked but I get this pretty consistently.

Scout I noticed you asked, "do you ever get an electric-like pain/shock that starts in your head and goes down through your spine?"

I actually get this exact thing and I had this happen several times before I got most of my symptoms, what can this be a sign of?

Last edited by siddhartha; 12-18-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

hello siddhartha

It is called "Lhermitte's Sign"...it is usually a symptom of vitamin B12 deficiency,MS or a cervical spine problem.

So then have you ever had a B12 level test?If not you should have that done plus an MMA test(this test will show a B12 deficiency at the tissue level...which is dood to know just in case your B12 level comes out in "low normal range").

Anxiety is a common symptom of low B12....as is "tingling"sensations...that is called "parathesis"or more commonly"pins 'n needles.Burning/cold feelings can be neuropathy which is also a symptom of low B12.

Any more questions/concerns please just ask!

The foamy/bubbly urine could mean you hve protein in the urine which could be from fluid retention which is a common thing when you are low in one or even several vitamins.

Hope this helps~take care

Scout

Old 12-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
(male)

siddhartha HB User

Thanks for the info! Yes I did have my b12 checked months ago and it was 190, then I had it tested again about a month ago and it was around 290, which they say is okay, but it still seems normal to me. I will try and get an MMA test, I also test positive for Rombergs which I guess is linked to b12 deficiency.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
(female)

chellio1 HB User

I have the same symptoms. I have been treated for MS since June of this year, but I also have problems with my c-spine. I have a bulging disc c-6. The Neurologist is not sure if it is the MS or the Spinal problem, but I know it is very annoying. Good Luck !

Closed Thread