It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
(female)

Donna527nj HB User
What does it mean if a MRI shows you have spots on your Brain

What does it mean if a MRI shows you have spots on your Brain I have had 2 Mri and they both showed i had spots on my Brain. The doctors also said they spots were perfectly in formation and not scattered all over. What does this mean?

Old 12-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
(female)

MarinaO HB User
Re: What does it mean if a MRI shows you have spots on your Brain

I wish Consultants would explain things properly to us. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I had a MRI scan and just got results, the letter says I have abnormalities at the base of my brain and also others elsewhere in my brain. The letter says I have to go back for more MRI's so they can look at them in more detail. So wondering what they could be is it just another way of saying (like you) spots on my brain. Could anyone give me some idea, does it sound like MS??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
(female)

Donna527nj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaO View Post
I wish Consultants would explain things properly to us. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I had a MRI scan and just got results, the letter says I have abnormalities at the base of my brain and also others elsewhere in my brain. The letter says I have to go back for more MRI's so they can look at them in more detail. So wondering what they could be is it just another way of saying (like you) spots on my brain. Could anyone give me some idea, does it sound like MS??

Old 12-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

I don't know if these are the spots/lesions you're referring to but Calcium deposits (they look like spots on MRI or CT) are very common.

There are over 50 different causes of calcium deposits. From a simple bump to the head to stroke. Only your doctor can figure out where the deposits are coming from.

The lesions seen in MS can be mimicked by other disorders, making diagnosis even more challenging. Malabsorption syndromes like Celiac Disease, vitamin deficiencies, herniated discs in the neck, even age - if your over 50 you're more likely to have these MS-like lesions.

But I'm sure the folks in the Multiple Sclerosis topic can give you a much better answer than me! You should ask there, they'll know the MRI details and what they mean. I only know about spots/lesions from having Celiac. In Celiac, calcium deposits can actually cause seizures.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
(female)

MarinaO HB User

Thank you Auntieleela for your advice, I guess I'm putting all my symptoms and the fact that they found abnormalities/lesions and thinking myself to have MS, but it is pointless me worrying about what it is or isn't until the Consultant tells me.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
(female)

Cannelle HB User

My grandson began having seizures at 4 months old. He is now 5 and in October had brain surgery. There was a calcium deposit in his brain that was gathering more calcium as he grew. The neurologist said it was growing as a bone would grow. This was causing his seizures to become more severe and to happen more often. (He had 30-40 a day...most unseen but some grand mal) They removed the portion of the brain that had the deposit and now he is seizure free although not "normal". But, now he is smiling, laughing and playing more like a 5 year old would. I have to admit i'm a bit angry that his doctors didn't find it sooner. It took going out of state to get answers.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
(male)

james195 HB User

My wife has Scleroderma,and Parry-Romberg Syndrome she has calcium deposits in her brain is this a symptom of something else or are the calcium deposits a result of Scleroderma and Parry-Romberg?

Closed Thread