It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

malegant HB User
why does nerve pain come and go?

I'm recovering from surgery to remove a benign brain tumor that was growing on my trigeminal nerve. I'm about 6 months post-op and experiencing pain and numbness, both of which come and go. Very frustrating. Can anyone explain this phenomenon?
Thanks,
Marci

The following user gives a hug of support to malegant:
cjreeves (12-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: why does nerve pain come and go?

your neurosuregon could probably explain this to you in the best way pertaining to 'your" individual level of nerve damage,but having my own nerve damage i can tell you a few things about nerve healing. number one,anytime you have any surgery that involves any nerve,it can either permanently or temporarily become like yours is. tho it does sound like this is actually healing normally believe it or not. since i don;t actually know truely just how bad any damage is to your tri, it can be kind of hard to say for certain. actual nerve "healing' just changes at times sometimes daily. its just firing and doing strange things since it IS an actual nerve,you know what i mean? it is simply trying to 'right" itself. anytime a nerve gets hit or is probably being more constantly hit considering where this tumor was,it can become "shocked" in certain ways, since nerves are simply not ment to be touched. it just takes some time,and alot of patience to see how this will all go. what extent of real damage did your NS say you actually have with this nerve?

what you are feeling is actually somewhat a neuropathic type of pain that as you probably already know, does not respond well to any real narcotics,so it has to be treated a bit differently. anti siezure meds are usually the ones that people with nerve pain are started on first. you may need some level of that class of meds just to try and keep that nerve from misfiring off and on,or to just 'calm' it down. unfortunetly it can take a while for this to fully heal itself. hopefully once you get thru that healing process,it will go back to normal again. does that help at all or did i just confuse you more?

just where exactly are you feeling the pain and numbness? i do hope your surgery was a true success and you wont ever have to deal with that again.are you currently on any meds at this point to try and treat this nastiness? please let me know how you are doing. good luck with the rest of this healing process. Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread