It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

onemarinemom06 HB User
Question Brain Shrinking???

Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I have an Aunt, who came back from a doctor appointment today and informed my Mom that the doctor said her brain is shrinking.

I've never heard of such a thing but after one quick search there is something called Pick's disease, which covers many of her symptoms that have been going on for years. (we figured she was headed into Ahlzheimers).

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Thank you in advance for any information.
Becky

Old 03-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: Brain Shrinking???

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemarinemom06 View Post
Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I have an Aunt, who came back from a doctor appointment today and informed my Mom that the doctor said her brain is shrinking.

I've never heard of such a thing but after one quick search there is something called Pick's disease, which covers many of her symptoms that have been going on for years. (we figured she was headed into Ahlzheimers).

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Thank you in advance for any information.
Becky
My grandfather had this, and now my brother does. Sadly with my brother, it is located in the wrong place in his brain, and could kill him in a blink of an eye. It can bring on alzheimer's disease. I forget what the name of this condition is called but I will ask my brother & let you know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

It's called cerebral brain atrophy.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Alzheimer's can cause brain shrinking as well. Pick's attacks the front part of the brain while Alz damage tends to be all-over. (even normal aging can cause some mild loss of "grey matter")

The Alzheimer's Association has resources and assistance for all types of dementia - not just Alz. The local caregiver support group was a great help to me and my family.

Good luck - both of you -

Old 03-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
(male)

NerveEnding HB UserNerveEnding HB User

Alzheimer disease, Pick's disease, and other dementias can all cause brain shrinkage. What is the most common cause of brain shrinkage? Aging. That's right, people's brains usually get smaller as they age. Unless your Aunt is having neurological problems, it probably isn't something to worry about.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

hello Becky

Well here I am just poppin' in to see if there's anything I might be able to help with..........so I'll give it a try......

I had a brain MRI in 1999 that showed I had mild cerebellar atrophy.During that time I had an ondiagnosed occult(hidden) B 12 deficiency....while my B12 level was 278(normal with that specific lab was 200-1100)my MMA(methylmalonic acid)level was 415(normal range 90-200)so this showed I was B12 deficient at the tissue level.A low level of B12 even if it is a "normal low level"can and does cause cerebral brain atrophy.The good news is it is modifiable with B12 injection therapy.

If I may I'd like to ask you your aunt's age and what her symptoms are.

Have a good night~take care~

Scout

Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
(female)

onemarinemom06 HB User

Scout,
My Aunt I believe will be 79 or 80 in December. (I can't remember for sure if she's three or four years older than my Dad.) This has been ongoing for a few years but she has serious difficulty remembering things that were said to her from day to day, I can't say she has mood swings because mostly she is just a plain grouch to everybody. When we have family get togethers for the holidays mostly she gets what I call 'touchy/feely' on anyone who will let her. (My sister in law doesn't like to visit now because of this, although she still does for my brothers sake). The last time I went home to visit, we were there for 3 days and didn't see her before 1pm, and she was back in her room by 10pm.
This concerns me as she lives with my parents who are in their 70's themselves and whose health is not the greatest.

Thanx for you replies and any information is greatly appreciated.
Becky

Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

hi Becky

I agree with the other poster about brain shrinkage/aging,but in your aunt's case it seems not so normal.Older people tend to be grouchy for whatever reasons,but her forgetting things from day to day seems like a warning signal.

With all sincerety I hope that this is not the beginning of Alzheimers,but some seniors do tend to be forgetful.......did the dr. say it might be the start of Alz?I don't know that much about geriatrics,but I'd think the dr. would've offered some kind of probable dx for your aunt........

Yes I can see why you are concerned for your parents...what do they say about your aunt?

Scout~

Closed Thread