It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
(male)

Aspergers 13 HB User
Weird "paranoid" sensation affects me occasionally

Hi,

I have noticed I have been having a weird sensation off and on since I was about 19 or 20. I don't know if it's caused by my thoughts, my perception of the environment around me, or is a series of mild partial seizures caused by a brain disorder. Anyway, I would be somewhere and I would notice things out of the corner of my eyes, and would be bothered by them, almost like they sort of look sharp and burn in somehow, and as it increases, my thoughts would be all jumbled up nonsense. I can still think straight, but I would have those weird nonsensical thoughts, would be bothered by the sounds around me, mostly quiet ones, and would be paranoid about something coming really close to me, even though I know there is nothing there that could harm me. I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was a teenager, and I am very sound-sensitive to people's voices when they whisper. That type of sound sensitivity would be heightened by the sensation and/or it would prolong it and intensify my sensitivity to it. Today I had one while waiting for the bus -- it lasted for a while and became extremely bothersome to the point that I couldn't take it anymore, then I saw something that made me feel happy, but the sensation was still there, then I ran into a fellow classmate and started having a nice conversation with him. During that time the sensation slowly diminished, and before I knew it, it was gone. It usually goes away when I don't realize it's going away -- it's like it comes out of the blue and disappears after about 15 minutes to 2 hours. When I went back out to wait for the bus, I met two people waiting, and they started a conversation in which one of them said something that I didn't agree with, and I noticed the sensation was coming back, so I went inside and it went away. Does anyone know what this might be? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Weird "paranoid" sensation affects me occasionally

Maybe a mild case of temporal lobe epilepsy, or just a severe but episodic symptom of Aspergers, or irritable-type anxiety. (or all three?) TLE and Aspergers may both effect the temporal lobe so there's some overlapping of symptoms.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001399.htm

Have you spoken with your doctor about this? I have soft sound sensitivity (misophonia) as well. There are therapies that can reduce sound sensitivity and medications for TLE or anxiety.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
(male)

Aspergers 13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieLeela View Post
Maybe a mild case of temporal lobe epilepsy, or just a severe but episodic symptom of Aspergers, or irritable-type anxiety. (or all three?) TLE and Aspergers may both effect the temporal lobe so there's some overlapping of symptoms.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001399.htm

Have you spoken with your doctor about this? I have soft sound sensitivity (misophonia) as well. There are therapies that can reduce sound sensitivity and medications for TLE or anxiety.
Yes, I have spoken with my psychiatrist. I forgot to mention, or didn't know back when I first posted this thread, that they were very similar to hallucinations, or may be a type of hallucination. My doctor just said that she thinks they *may* be a type of psychosis. My mom's brother had schizophrenia, so I wonder if it might be in the same family as that disorder. Which part of the brain does that affect?

On the other hand, it may be caused by worry, or could be a type of seizure. I've read that hallucinations can accompany less intense seizures, and that anxiety attacks can cause hallucinations, but I don't know if I have that or not. (I do have a history of having severe anxiety, maybe GAD.)

Edit: I also have what we think are sensory tics, where it feels like someone is lightly tapping me on parts of my body, or it feels like insects or raindrops. When I have this, it makes it extremely hard for the other sensation to go away, if it goes away when I get distracted. It is extremely annoying and uncomfortable. It's almost like it's happening to prevent the other sensation from going away.

Maybe because of my sound sensitivity, when I have these sensations, sounds, especially people's s and f sounds, sound extremely annoying. During the jumbled-up gibberish I hear in my mind, I hear someone's annoying voice overpronouncing words and sounding really annoying, just like the sounds which I have always been so sensitive to.

Today it happened when I was waiting for the bus, and I was almost expecting it to happen, but I didn't seem anxious. The voices of the people on the bus got increasingly annoying, especially their s and f sounds. The harder I tried to get used to it and endure it without going crazy, the more "tapping" I felt. And right now, people's s sounds are extremely noticeable and bothersome, and there is an unpleasant tickle on my vision and auditory perception. It's almost like it's a sort of mind control.

Last edited by Aspergers 13; 04-19-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
(male)

Aspergers 13 HB User

Does anyone know how often Asperger's Syndrome, seizure disorders, and sensory tics all go together in adults, both male and female? People in their 20s?

Thanks!

Closed Thread