It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
(female)

jmmama HB User
CT Brain Scan Result Interpretation Please

I'm a nervous Nelly when it comes to unknown diagnosis's and my dad recently had a CT brain scan done and I'm trying to interpret the results he received back from the doctor. They are as follows:

Procedure: CT Brain without contrast

Comparison: None

Technique: CT images were created without intravenous contrast

Findings:

Centricles: The lateral, third and fourth ventricles are normal in size, shape and anatomical position.

Intra Azial Space: No mass, mass effect, hydrocephalus or hemorrhage.

Extra Axial Space: No abnormal extraaxial fluid collections

Cerebrum: 1 cm vaguely defined low density area in the left frontal lobe best demonstrated on series 3 image 20. No calcification. Sulci and gyri are normal. Gray-white differentiation maintained. The midline structures are not displaced.

Cerebellum: Both cerebellar hemispheres are symmetrical in appearance, no hemorrhage, mass or infarct.

Brain Stem: Brain stem is normal in morphology and density, no hemorrhage, mass or infarct.

Vascular: No hyperdense MCA. No subdural or epidural hematoma.

Basal Cisterns: Preserved

Skull: No abnormal areas of lucency or sclerosis in the calvarium. No fracture.

Other: Mucosal thickening in the ethmoid sinuses. No fluid in the mastoids.

Conclusion: 1 cm vague area of low density in the left frontal lobe white matter, recommend further evaluation with a contrast enhanced MRI or the brain.

His complaint and why he went in for the CT scan was acute headaches. Can anyone (preferably a doctor or someone with medical expertise in this area) let me know what results like this are typically indicitive of? Of course I always think the worst so my immediate thought is abnormal = brain cancer or brain tumor. He is being scheduled for the recommended MRI.

I understand that an actual diagnosis can not be made yet, however I'm wondering if there are any medical professionals seasoned in reading or interpreting CT scans that might be able to offer a little insight on things that could be going on that could possibly cause a scan to come back with these findings.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
Re: CT Brain Scan Result Interpretation Please

This just means they want to do a scan with contrast ( dye injected ) to see what the area of low density is because an MRI without contrast does not give a clear enough picture of this. There are no doctors on these boards, but people who come here for help from others with the same problems. There is really no way to guess what the outcome may be. When you do find out, the people here are extremely helpfull. It is nice to have others to talk to who are experiencing the same thing and know what works for them. Good luck to your dad. I wish him well

Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: CT Brain Scan Result Interpretation Please

kasey is right about the no real professionals here. just alot of people who have been thru their own brain issues who want to try and help others too or are dealing with something and need answers like yourself.

hopefully they are doing that MRI WITH a contrasting agent as well? this just really helps espescially within the brain to really see certain things that do not always show well without it. the vascular sturctures also just show up muich better with that contrast too. this could be alot of different things that unfortuently you wont really know at least til that MRI gets done and can just better define the density area. there are many benign or low risk type things that are always possible to just have that in alot of cases are actually something we are born with. espescially vascular ones. the only thing CTs really help with in the brain as far as really giving a solid something is with any level of a bleed that occurs in the brain. otherwise they just show 'kind ofs" little subtle findings that just create alot of worries with no real solid answers. that MRI really should help better define things in there. there is another more deeper type of scan that is just three times the normal magnetism used with regular MRI that can be done too. it is called a 3 T or 3 tesla scan. i had to have one of these done back in 2005 to just better define a brain aneurysm i had. there are other types of testing too depending upon just what this finding turns out to be. i do hope things are okay with your dad. please let us know what you find out hon. good luck, marcia

Closed Thread