It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
(female)

martik1 HB User
unbalanced only when walking

Has anyone experienced being unbalanced when they walk? It started 8 months ago and no ENT or neurologist can figure out why I feel like the floor is coming out from under me when I walk. I can sit and drive but as soon as I stand up to walk I barely move my feet. I shuffle them because it feels like I am falling to the right. It gets worse in the afternoons. Several brain scans, artery scan, lot of blood work. I just woke up like this. I had no viral infections before this started. My whole life has changed because of this . Bright lights in a store are horrible. Doctors offices with shiny floors make me feel like I am really falling. I have had vestibular rehab but it hasn't helped me. Doctors say that there is nothing wrong with my ear or brain. My neck is swollen back around the cervical spine but that was cat scanned and it showed nothing. No one can come up with what is going on. If anyone has experienced anything like this please respond to me.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
(female)

ShellyXO1124 HB User
Re: unbalanced only when walking

having a ct scan that showed nothing is a good sign, thats what was happening to me but on a smaller scale, I ended up with a cavernis angeoma in my cerabellium... sry for the spelling... I would see another neroligist. good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I would suggest you try finding a neuro-ophthalmologist. That's a neurologist who is also schooled in ophthalmology. They are rare and usually at medical schools or major medical centers.

This sounds to me like a problem between eyes and brain and the signals not getting through. What you are seeing around you and feeling with your feet are not registering. I have a problem with the blood flow to my optic nerves and one eye sees things wavy and the other is starting to lose horizontal things. He had special glasses made for me that helped except within 6 months, it had changed again and I can't afford new glasses every 6 months!

But since you've seen everyone else that would be appropriate, a neuro-ophth is kind of a doc of last resort in many ways and might just what you need.

gentle hugs..........Jenny

Old 06-16-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
(female)

annie6262 HB User

My mother has the same problem. She's 84 and the doctors have been telling her for the last few years that its all to do with her age and there's nothing they can do. I hate to see her like this and I worry about her falling all the time. I am always on the internet looking for things that might help, that might make her better, and I just wish I could find something to make her better.

She feels like she is going to fall over all the time, and her legs feel like jelly and that they're going to give way, which is why I worry about her falling so much. She doesn't get dizzy, just trouble with her balance. She's fine when she's sitting down, she feels so healthy in herself then, it is only when she gets up to walk that she has the problems. She feels her brain is telling her something different than her legs, that her legs are going one way and her brain is saying something else. She can't really describe it she says, its just such a horrible feeling. And of course she worries about this 24 hours a day, so that will make things so much worse.

I just feel so sorry for her, that she has all this energy but her legs are letting her down. I hate it that the doctors put it down to her age, that once you get past a certain age they're not interested in you and wipe you aside. She's had her MRSA scan and that was fine and she's been to the balance clinic in York but they just gave her some exercises to do which don't seem to have helped her balance. We have a treadmill and an exercise bike which she goes on and does yoga and tai chi, so she is so fit and healthy for her age - its just the wretched legs and brain.

I worry about my mum so much and will do anything to help her so if anyone can come up with anything it would be so much appreciated. At least I have found someone who has similar problems.

Thank you for listening and sorry for waffling on.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cknmbbl HB User

Hi Annie,
You might take a look at Orthostatic Tremor and see if that fits at all. Just a thought.

CK

Old 06-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #6
(female)

annie6262 HB User

CK,

I looked on the internet about this, but my mum doesn't have any tremors or shakes, just problems with her balance/brain/legs etc. There are similar symptoms but just not the tremors.

Thank you for your reply anyway.

Annie

Old 07-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cknmbbl HB User

Hi Annie,

I am not sure that you can really feel "tremors". I think it depends on how severe it is. Good Luck!

CK

Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
(male)

kumchinta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by martik1 View Post
Has anyone experienced being unbalanced when they walk? It started 8 months ago and no ENT or neurologist can figure out why I feel like the floor is coming out from under me when I walk. I can sit and drive but as soon as I stand up to walk I barely move my feet. I shuffle them because it feels like I am falling to the right. It gets worse in the afternoons. Several brain scans, artery scan, lot of blood work. I just woke up like this. I had no viral infections before this started. My whole life has changed because of this . Bright lights in a store are horrible. Doctors offices with shiny floors make me feel like I am really falling. I have had vestibular rehab but it hasn't helped me. Doctors say that there is nothing wrong with my ear or brain. My neck is swollen back around the cervical spine but that was cat scanned and it showed nothing. No one can come up with what is going on. If anyone has experienced anything like this please respond to me.
I, CH.RAVIKUMAR male 45 years, has undergone c5-c6 micro des (disk prolapsed) fusion with bone grafting in the year 2002 at Hyderabad. After the surgery I was quit normal and there is no symptom of pain/numbness till the 2008 November. I have slipped and fallen in the house six months back then onwards I have developed unsteady walk and dizziness(continuous while sitting/lay down).I have undergone c6-c7 disk fusion again on doctorís advice at MIOT hospital Chennai. Even after 9 months of surgery there is no improvement of unsteady&dizzeness. Please kindly advice the reason and treatment.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
(female)

juliesand HB User

I have very similar symptoms to yours. I am 45, have bulging C5-6 disc. Did they check your c-spine? I've also been diagnosed with neuropathy, which has a lot to do with balance. I have to hang on to wall on right side when I walk, or use a cane.
Hope you find some answers...
Julie

Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
(male)

BobDadBear HB User

You may want to look into Cerebellar Atrophy. I have this and I lose my balance and coordination. It shows up in MRI's. Its a smaller/shrinking cerebellum. I dont have any tremors/shakes, just loss of balance and coordination. If there is some speech slurring, that can be caused by the same thing. I have lots of trouble writing too...

Old 07-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #11
(female)

annie6262 HB User

My Mum had an MRI about 3 years ago but that came up fine. In the meantime, her balance seems to be a bit worse, and I know that whenever she's around company it gets even worse still as she's conscious that everyone is watching her walk, and that makes her balance worse. Its such a vicious circle and I will do anything to make her better.

Closed Thread