It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User
Spaced Out Feeling

I have been feeling like I'm spaced out.Don't know if it's from hormone imbalance or something neurological.My dr. seems to think I'm having some kind of seizures so now I have to see a neuro again and probably have an EEG.

I almost feel like I'm in a "dreamlike" state.It is really weird....I don't feel like I have any anxiety,but this feeling is really weird.

Before this started I went through a bunch of different sx.First I had a dizzy spell...next I started having a pulling feeling in my head...then I had several headaches over a couple weeks time...then I had a couple incidents of a pounding heart...then one day I just feellike I lost track of time and felt disoriented....it just feels weird.

I want to cry me a river of tears for sure because I'll get through an awful sx and another new sx will take over~so tired of it~

peace

Scout~

Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
(female)

erika74 HB User
Re: Spaced Out Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout316 View Post
I have been feeling like I'm spaced out.Don't know if it's from hormone imbalance or something neurological.My dr. seems to think I'm having some kind of seizures so now I have to see a neuro again and probably have an EEG.

I almost feel like I'm in a "dreamlike" state.It is really weird....I don't feel like I have any anxiety,but this feeling is really weird.

Before this started I went through a bunch of different sx.First I had a dizzy spell...next I started having a pulling feeling in my head...then I had several headaches over a couple weeks time...then I had a couple incidents of a pounding heart...then one day I just feellike I lost track of time and felt disoriented....it just feels weird.

I want to cry me a river of tears for sure because I'll get through an awful sx and another new sx will take over~so tired of it~

peace

Scout~
Hello I feel the same way. I can't take it anymore. THis has been happening off and on for about 2 yrs but now it seems worse. My doctors keep saying anxiety. THe did an EEG and that turned out fine. Sometimes my headache will feel like a cramp in my head. Sounds weird. I have had a CAT scan but really want a MRI. Have you had any tests done? Just wanted you to know you're not alone. take care, erika

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi erika

I haven't had an MRI or EEG since Dec.'06....I do have a history of slightly abnormal EEGs,but the last one was okay.I have a slight tonsillar ectopia(6mm),but it's not consitent with a Chiari I Malformation...have you heard of Chiari?

I don't know what my problem is,but I'm thinking it's my hormones(I am 2yrs.post menopausal)....all I do know is I don't feel right...I've tried figuring it all out,but that gets me nowhere fast.....

Yes I do get that cramp feeling in my head too....maybe it's muscle tension????

Do you feel like you have any anxiety?I feel it only when I'm trying to figure out why I'm feeling this way.

OMG I hope this doesn't last for years...

thank you erika~please post back anytime~

Scout~

Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

A bit OT but my brother had a prolonged seizure a couple months ago, his only one, no history of epilepsy in the family. He had a lot of complications from it that kept him in the hospital for a while, but he appears to be recovering 100%, no neurological problems apparently. However, they still don't know what caused the seizure, and he was at a Teaching Hospital.

His CT scan and EEG were normal. However there was a finding of some "foci on the right side of his brain" but we still don't know what that means. At first they thought it could have indicated a brain infection (encephalitis, which causes seizures) but he was found not to have that, or any other known virus. All in all, they didn't think these "foci" were anything to worry about. But do you know what that means?

Sorry to hear you've been feeling lousy again, Scout. I really appreciated all the help you gave me back in the day, glad to see you again.

-Bill Z

Old 09-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

don't have a clue about brain "foci"...that is interesting though...I'll haveto research it.Glad your brother pulled through all that...you never know what's going to come your way.....gotta keep the faith.

I am feeling way better today...I really think it's just menopause...so everyone tells me...and hopefully I will be feeling 100% again...I really don't like to dwell on self pity parties...

So how are you doing Bill?You sound much better!Hope your sx are gone or at least eased up a bit.

Scout

Old 09-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
don't have a clue about brain "foci"...that is interesting though...I'll haveto research it.Glad your brother pulled through all that...you never know what's going to come your way.....gotta keep the faith.

I am feeling way better today...I really think it's just menopause...so everyone tells me...and hopefully I will be feeling 100% again...I really don't like to dwell on self pity parties...

So how are you doing Bill?You sound much better!Hope your sx are gone or at least eased up a bit.

Scout
Some symptoms may have eased up, it's tough to tell sometimes, but the head pressure and brain fog are as bad as ever... I wish I could report some progress in terms of getting some kind of DX, but I'm afraid I don't have anything for ya.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hey Bill can you elaborate on what you mean by brain fog?I feel like I have that,but I'm not sure if it's brain fog,because no one has explained it to me.I know light-headed means you feel like you're going to be dizzy or faint.

Does brain fog mean you have a hard time concentrating?remembering things?feeling spaced out like you're dreaming but you know you're awake?I feel spaced-out off & on...it's driving me nuts!Please tell me what brain fog means or at least what your brain fod sx are.

Thanks A Bunch......Scout

Old 09-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
hey Bill can you elaborate on what you mean by brain fog?I feel like I have that,but I'm not sure if it's brain fog,because no one has explained it to me.I know light-headed means you feel like you're going to be dizzy or faint.

Does brain fog mean you have a hard time concentrating?remembering things?feeling spaced out like you're dreaming but you know you're awake?I feel spaced-out off & on...it's driving me nuts!Please tell me what brain fog means or at least what your brain fod sx are.

Thanks A Bunch......Scout
Brain fog for me means trouble concentrating, awful short term memory (forgetting things I did 10-20 seconds ago), trouble remembering things in my longterm memory (and I used to be very sharp with longterm memory.) I'm 28 and I shouldn't have this. I can't even read a novel anymore, I don't even attempt it. Not as if I was always a great reader (I'm actually a slow reader naturally, and below average with reading comprehension) but it's never been this bad.

I also have the spaced out feeling you report, quite frequently, like things aren't quite real. It's annoying but tolerable. It used to be worse--it used to be dissociative like "I'm outside myself", and that was scary. Now when I get the dissociative sensations, they only last for about 5-10 seconds. I think vitamin B12 helped in this area, possibly.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

thank you Bill...yep I can identify with what you're saying...I don't have a problem with short or long term memory,but I do have that feeling of things not being real...like a "dreamlike state"....it's so weird and a bit overwhelming for sure.

Ummm I did look up brain fog and was relieved to find some answers....it's a frequent sx of menopause...but it can also mean a problem with the adrenal glands(which my dr. also pointed out to me)so I'm going to see an endocrinologist to have some blood work done.Also read it could be from stress,depression,denial(I like that one...interesting,huh?),diabetes,lupus,f ibromyalgia,low blood sugar,underactive thyroid,food/chemical reactions and nutritional deficiencies....that's a lot of possibilities!

Also said 70% of Primary Adrenal Insufficiency is caused by auto-immune process and 30% by tuberculosis,bacterial/viral or fungal infections,adrenal hemmorhage or cancer of the adrenal glands.Secondary i usually from a decrease in pituitary hormone(ACTH).....so interesting.

SX are:abdominal pain
decreased body hair
dehydration
diarrhea/constipation
dizziness/fainting
fatigue
hyperpigmentation
joint/muscle aches
low blood pressure
low blood sugar
muscle weakness
craving salt
nomitting
weight loss

It said sx vary with individuals...some people don't get any sx...strange,huh?

There has to be a reason why people get brain fog...well I hate going to drs.,but I want to get to the root of this and then maybe I'll be able to help others with brain fog.

thanks so much my friend....you are so helpful and I do appreciate it~

Scout xx

Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Hi Scout, I am post menopause, and hypothyroid, and have allergies. I had brain fog an entire summer, and noticed I would feel good some days and not at all others. I noticed on my own that when it was colder out, I felt good, when it was warm or humid, I had the head pressure and brain fog. It was caused by allergies, and my sinuses and ear canals swelling in reaction to things in the air, causing the head pressure and out of it feeling. I use a prescription nasal spray now that helps immensely with this and alleviates the symptoms. As far as the thyroid is concerned, usually a person has many symptoms along with this, such as losing your hair, gaining ( for hypo ) weight, forgetting things, extreme fatigue etc. I noticed you have some good days in there, and that's what always happened to me, I would feel horrible for days and out of it, then suddenly have a good one, which confused me. You may want to check allergies as the cause of your symptom. I see you live where I used to, and where my problem with allergies first started. Just wanted to let you know that doctors can miss this as a cause because that was the only symptom I had for awhile. I thought nothing of sneezing every morning, or getting sick when it first rained, I was bothered more by the brain fog I had. So I do almost live on my nasal spray in the spring and summer but if I dont use it, I am very out of it mentally along with head pressure,and sometimes headaches etc. So it you still dont have any answers after your tests, please look into this. Its surprising what allergies can do to a person, they can really affect you immensely, making you very tired, feeling out of it, head pressure, headaches etc. Good luck, I hope you find the cause.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanx Kasey!

Yes I do have allergies and severe sinus problems....but I also have a history of neurological issues.It's tough for me,because I'll get over one sx and another sx will pop up.This all started at the very beginning of perimenopause for me.

Mostly I feel like I want to run away from myself,but it's like I'm stuck in this body.

I had a thyroid test(TSH) done and it was normal 1.140..normal range 0.450-4.500.I was hoping my thyroid would be the cause of my brain fog,but I guess not.

All I know is I'm a thin person and now I'm losing weight.I lost 3lbs. in one week...and I wasn't doing it on purpose.I weigh 106 now.

Well maybe the endo dr. will be able to find something...the soonest appointment they had was Oct.6th.......so I took it,but now I have to "worry while I wait"grrrrrrrr!

I will mention allergies to my dr.,but he seems to think the endo & neuro will figure everything out for me.....we'll see.......

Peace~Scout

Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

well yesterday evening I started feeling dizzy....was still dizzy this morning and part of the afternoon...then the dizziness/off balance stopped and I felt a headache coming on.Now this is the best part....my brain fog isn't as bad now...I almost feel like something "shifted" in my head...so weird,huh?

Maybe it's sinus/allergies after all...plus a sinus dr. told me like 12 years ago that hormone fluctuations do affect your sinuses.Kind of interesting.

Just wanted to share this.Still feel like I'm not out of the woods yet.

Hope tomorrow will be a good day too......Peace~

Scout~

Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Here's a strange thing (yes it's strange, but I'm nothing if not honest)... I notice that for some reason, almost every time I have a bowel movement, it feels like something in my head is either being "pulled down" or "leaking".. and then it feels like my sinuses open up. I will very frequently have to sneeze and blow my nose, for a prolonged period of time, after a bowel movement. The key here is that usually throughout this time (about 1-2 hours after a bowel movement) my head pressure will reduce itself significantly. Of course, it always comes back, and very often it comes back (like a rebound) worse than ever.

So I wonder if sinus problems/allergies may figure in my case of chronic head pressure?? If not, what would cause things to "shift around" in my head after a bowel movement?

I notice my head pressure also reduces itself after exercise, too. Any ideas?

Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Benit:Well I have gotten that "pulling feeling" after having a bm also(but only if it was a "strenuous" one.Then the teeth under my sinuses will hurt off and on...so it seems to me that the sinuses get "irritated" from the muscles being used.I remember you talked about being constipated so I gather that you have strenuous bms then.

Well sinus issues are the sspecialty of ENT(ear,nose & throat) drs.But you know it could be something to do with muscle fatigue and head pressure comes under headaches so that would be a neurologists field of expertise.

Yes I've thought about it(Chiari) and I'm not even going to start thinking that is what causes my problems....it's easy for some drs. to blame it (Chiari)for the laundry lists of sx people have.So I just thought I'd put that out there in case you were thinking about that too.

My brain fog has eased up a lot,But I had some kind of simple seizure today....it was like all of a sudden I lost a few minutes of time and then I was disoriented and didn't know what happened.It took me a few minutes to realize where I was...that was truly freaky!I got over it though and had an okay day after that.I

I'm seeing a new neurologist on September 16th...hope she'll be able to help me with this dilemma I'm going through.I guess I'll be having an EEG,but I don't think I can afford an MRI at this time.

Also I know that people with back/neck problems have to be careful about straining during a bm.

That's about it for now~Scout

Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Yes I've thought about it(Chiari) and I'm not even going to start thinking that is what causes my problems....it's easy for some drs. to blame it (Chiari)for the laundry lists of sx people have.So I just thought I'd put that out there in case you were thinking about that too.
Just curious, what was it in my post that led you to think I was implicating Chiari in this?

I don't think having sinus issues/sneezing after a bowel movement necessarily leads to that DX.. eh?

Closed Thread