It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
(female)

AnnM10 HB User
Heartbeat or pulse in head at night

I've had the problem for approx. 6 years. It is a no pain pulsing in my head at night which appears to have something to do with the left ear. I have thought for a long time that it is triggered by foods but can't pin exactly which foods. Activity takes it away but this is difficult when awakened by the pulsing at night. What is it and how do I fix it?

Old 10-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
(male)

fleawannabe HB User
Re: Heartbeat or pulse in head at night

i have the thing. sometimes i can feel it very faint during the day. but at night when i lay down to go to bed it is just crazy. i gotta reposition a bunch of times till it kinda goes away. i notice it isnt there if i am watching tv, but if im trying to fall asleep and not thinking about anything my head pounds. i found another column in here were dozens of people have the same thing going on. they have had mri's and all that done and nothing was wrong.

i hope someone figures it out though cause its so annoying.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
(male)

Dizzidude HB User

I have had this problem as well only worse. With each pulse I get a spinning sensation. It is the worst when I lie down or when I try to exercise (which I gave up on) but I feel it 24/7. The vertigo has made my life a living Hell for the last 2 years. I've seen ear doctors, neurologists, had MRI's, CAT scans, etc. and nothing definative was found. The only diagnosis anyone has offered has been migraine, although I don't have headaches, and I have been trying different migraine medicines over the past year. Amitriptyline has helped some. Topamax was like a miracle drug (despite very annoying side effects) but lost its effectiveness over a couple months. Now my latest Neurologist, an expert on Migraines, is wanting me to go back to an ENT. Neurologists say ears and ear doctors say neurology.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Its called pulsitile tinnitis

Old 10-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
(male)

Dizzidude HB User

My understanding of pulsitile tinnitis is it is a condition where you hear your heartbeat. I'm not hearing my pulse, I'm feeling it pound in my head. Each pulse gives me a vertigo sensation.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
(male)

fleawannabe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzidude View Post
My understanding of pulsitile tinnitis is it is a condition where you hear your heartbeat. I'm not hearing my pulse, I'm feeling it pound in my head. Each pulse gives me a vertigo sensation.
what do you mean my vertigo sensation?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
(male)

Dizzidude HB User

With each pulse, a pounding pulse in my head, it feels like my head moved in a quick circle even though I was perfectly still. When I try to get to sleep I often feel like I am falling off the bed, which gives me a jolt of adrenaline that wakes me up. During the day the constant dizzy feeling makes it very hard to concetrate at work. Driving and sometimes walking are difficult.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
(male)

Dizzidude HB User

I'm reading posts from people that seem to have very similar symptoms in this old thread: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=23438&highlight=heart+p ounding+in+head

Particularly similar are the symptoms of ajo7846 and eightballgal. My symptoms first started about 4 years ago after intense exercise. The pounding pulse, vertigo and brain fog lasted about 20 minutes. It didn't reoccur for several months and was again triggered by intense exercise. Roughly 3 years ago I had these symptoms every time I even did any light exercise. About 2 years ago the symptoms became constant, 24/7. It was there all day long, there when I went to sleep (and it was very difficult to get to sleep) and it was the first sensation as I woke up. I even dreamed about falling, being rocked on a boat in heavy seas, bumpy airplane rides, etc.

My latest Neurologist is now thinking this could all be caused by stress and wants me to see a psychiatrist. I remind her that this all started from intense exercise so stress can't be the cause. I am suffering from depression but after years of this physically and mentally debilitating condition I think anyone would be depressed. I was not depressed when this all started.

She also wants me to go to another ENT. I have asked her via email to talk to the last ENT I saw a year ago that said this was definately a migraine. I haven't heard back from her yet but it has only been a couple days.

Last edited by Dizzidude; 10-20-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
(female)

home sweet home HB User

Hello, there are many things that can cause tinnitus of the ear. Some are age related, exposure to loud noise, Menieres disease, stress and depression,head or neck injuries, Acoustic neuroma a noncancerous benign tomor also called vestibular schwannoma. Usually only in one ear. Blood vessel disorder called pulsatile tinnitus This is what I have caused by the medicinehydroxychloroquine depression, stress, caffein, blood vessel disorder. Go to web md and look up tinnitus that may help you figure it out. home sweet home

Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
(male)

Dizzidude HB User

It isn't auditory so it isn't Tinnitus. Its a pounding pulse I feel throughout my head and vertigo with it. If I clench my teeth a little I can feel it in my teeth as well. If I am moving around enough I don't notice the pounding pulse that much but the vertigo is still there. 2 ENTs have done full work ups on me and both said its not a problem with the ears, i.e. Meneires, BPPV, etc.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
(female)

dorotahp HB User

I have the pounding feeling too, but i also have headaches too. I wonder what that pounding is, your right its not just a "hearing of pulse" its a squishy feeling on all sides of ur skull and ur ears, Does yours get worse with each pulse until it subsides???

Old 10-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
(male)

Dizzidude HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorotahp View Post
I have the pounding feeling too, but i also have headaches too. I wonder what that pounding is, your right its not just a "hearing of pulse" its a squishy feeling on all sides of ur skull and ur ears, Does yours get worse with each pulse until it subsides???
Mine never subsides. It is with me 24/7.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #13
(male)

Sc0tt HB User

You're not alone. The "vertigo" sensation is the best description I've heard so far. I didn't really have words to describe what I was feeling right as I wake up every morning (or even just to get up to use the bathroom). It's not my pulse in my ears, and it's not related to my heartbeat. There's no rhythm to it. Sometimes just one or two "flashes", but sometimes a quick and erratic succession of them. Usually only lasts a minute or two, but it's unnerving not knowing whats causing it.
I take 10mg Lexipro everyday at about 6:30am, as well as Nexium and a couple otc vitamins. other than that, I don't smoke, don't drink alcohol, never much caffeine or eat horrible foods, so I don't have any idea what causes this, but I'm just glad I'm not alone!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
(female)

sugzey$ HB User

Have you all been checked to see if you do have vertigo? If those crystals in the ears get out of place, they can make you have funny feelings in your head. I just went to a Balance Center and had mine put back into the right place. Amazing what they can do. It was my left ear that I am having strange feelings in and can hear my heartbeat real strong but I was also feeling some vertigo when I lie down at night but when I went to the balance center they said the vertigo was in my right ear. They fixed that but I still have the problem with the left ear.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #15
(female)

Addí HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnM10 View Post
I've had the problem for approx. 6 years. It is a no pain pulsing in my head at night which appears to have something to do with the left ear. I have thought for a long time that it is triggered by foods but can't pin exactly which foods. Activity takes it away but this is difficult when awakened by the pulsing at night. What is it and how do I fix it?
Hallo out there. Don´t know if you see this. You have exactly the same symptoms as I. Does the anxiety medicine help? Do the not make you tired og something. These symtoms are really tiresome.
Best regards
Bára from iceland

Closed Thread