It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
(female)

agreen86 HB User
A lot of strange head symptoms

Hello,

Let me start with the basics. I just turned 23. I have been diagnosed with hypercalcemia nearly a year ago. I truly believe the hypercalcemia is stemming from hyperparathyroidism, but my doctors have not yet diagnosed this. Now on to what's actually going on.

For about 2 weeks, I have been having headaches nearly every day. On September 22, I went to the ER because I felt a feeling that started in the top of my head and traveled to the top of my shoulders. It felt very warm, almost like CT scan dye, only more intense. They told me they thought it was a complex migraine and told me to follow up with my MD. I went to my MD and he said it was panic/anxiety. A few days later, I felt the same feeling but it extended into the middle of my back, so I went to the ER again, thinking perhaps it was some kind of virus that was affecting my central nervous system. They told me they thought it was a tension headache and they really didn't feel I needed a CT scan. For the past two days, I have felt this odd "popping" in the right side of my head, followed by a brief numbing of my face and mouth on the right side.

About 5 days ago, I have developed sinus-type symptoms. Sore throat, nasal congestion and those type of things. I also had a CT scan, MRI and lumbar puncture about 6-7 years ago while doing a workup for possible psuedotumor cerebri (not sure how to spell that) that could be causing my headaches. This was later diagnosed as migraines. Would an aneurysm or something along those lines appear that long ago on an MRI if it were now big enough to cause problems?

Since I have had hypercalcemia, (which has cause me to have kidney stones, tachycardia and high blood pressure among other things) I have become pretty paranoid and anxious about my health. I am wondering if this sounds like it could be more than just tension headaches or migraines? Please give me any advice or let me know if you've also felt these symptoms, so at least I know I'm not alone. Thanks.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also feel weird "squirting" feelings or what feels like air bubbles surging through my head.

Last edited by agreen86; 10-02-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Forgot something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
(female)

agreen86 HB User
Re: A lot of strange head symptoms

So, I was hospitalized and they did a CT, MRI and lumbar puncture again. Everything was fine, but the lumbar puncture showed slightly increased pressure. (They said it was a 23 and the upper limit of the normal range was 14.) However, the neurologist didn't seem concerned about this pressure and said it wasn't pseudotumor cerebri. I have still been having a lot of headaches and weird symptoms and I get really really dizzy. My ears still ring constantly.

I have been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism, and will be scheduled for surgery soon. Could this be causing all these weird head symptoms? Should I get a second opinion on the increased pressure?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
(female)

agreen86 HB User

Another follow-up.

My MRI results showed "mild increased T2 signal in the left periventricular frontal white matter, without restricted diffusion or abnormal enhancement."

CT results showed "cerebellar tonsils low-lying with no pathology suggesting Chiari"

LP results showed an opening pressure of 23cm H20.

Does anyone know what the increased white matter signal could mean or what the combination of all of this could mean? Please let me know as I am very confused about all of this.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen86 View Post
Another follow-up.

My MRI results showed "mild increased T2 signal in the left periventricular frontal white matter, without restricted diffusion or abnormal enhancement."

CT results showed "cerebellar tonsils low-lying with no pathology suggesting Chiari"

LP results showed an opening pressure of 23cm H20.

Does anyone know what the increased white matter signal could mean or what the combination of all of this could mean? Please let me know as I am very confused about all of this.
I would be interested to hear if you get an interpretation of this, as i'm curious to know what all of this means, too. Any possibility you could get a follow-up appointment with the neurologist to explain it?

Also, I'd like to know if you've been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism, and how that condition affects you?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
(female)

agreen86 HB User

I went to a new PCP yesterday and she is going to refer me to a neurologist, so hopefully I'll get some answers. I have been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism and it has affecting me in many many ways. Off the top of my head, I can tell you that I have had kidney stones, tachycardia, my blood pressure is a roller coaster, I'm constantly tired, my hair has thinned, I have bone pain and I'm constantly slightly dehydrated as I urinate quite frequently as the body's natural response to get rid of some of the excess calcium. I have also gained quite a bit of weight, I now weight 220 lbs and I'm 5'5. My PCP suggested that my "obesity" (it makes me feel bad to say that) could be leading to pseudotumor cerebri, however, I can not lose weight until after I have a parathyroidectomy.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
(female)

agreen86 HB User

Went to a different ER again tonight and told them I could no longer tolerate this. I demanded the doctor do a LP after he told me there was nothing wrong and that I shouldn't come to the ER so much. He did the LP and my opening pressure was 31cm H2O. He diagnosed me with pseudotumor cerebri and told me to follow up with a neurologist. My head feels amazing right now. Does anyone know a lot about this condition? Can weightloss resolve this?

Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #7
(male)

blues1986 HB User

I'm 23 as well, so I know what you are going through.

Sounds like a sinus infection. I had this several months ago. It started with this weird headache that lasted for two weeks (wouldn't go away even with constant medication) before I started having aches in my face. Felt like there was pressure on my face. Turned out to be a sinus infection. Doctor gave me some antibiotics, which worked. Only after a CT Scan was my doctor positive it was an infection.

**Sorry.. I didn't read all the posts so I didn't notice that you had a few checkups from your first post. I hope you find some answers. ***

Last edited by blues1986; 11-01-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Closed Thread