It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

writerchick324 HB User
Unhappy Brain shocks...I sound crazy!

I tried explaining this to a gen. practitioner at the navy hospital a few years ago and he looked at me like I was insane. Let me explain:

I get weird-what I can only call "Brain Shocks". They are like zaps and vary in intensity...sometimes light, like a bubble floating through my head, other times they are more powerful and make me come to a complete stop with whatever I am doing. If I am walking, I will suddenly stop and almost not move and just stare-my grandma has noticed because she says my eyes will flicker (which I feel them do so). I would think it was a seizure, but I am conscious when it happens. I don't lose consciousness. And I have had them sort of...mess up my words afterwards. Where I will think of what I want to say, but it comes out all jumbled. I notice I get them more at night, (it's not me falling asleep or waking up) but I do have them at random times during the day. I do not have high blood pressure, nor am I on any medication. I have had them for a few years, and haven't been on any meds to cause them. Is it possible to even have conscious seizures? lol I sound insane, I know, and plan on speaking to my new doc soon. But anyone have any idea? Or am I just crazy? :P

Last edited by writerchick324; 10-05-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Brain shocks...I sound crazy!

not every possible type of siezure is what we would think of as 'the classic' type of siezure activity within the brain. it can be someone simply staring out at nothing for a few seconds or minutes to a full blown down and out writhing on the floor type of siezure, you know what i mean? there is just ALOT of variables that can create actual siezure activity within a persons brain.

my best suggestion to really define what this is that is going on in your brain would be first getting referred to a good neurologist. then he or she can do the appropriate types of brain testing on you to really see how your synapses are "firing' in your brain. anytime those synapses(electrical energy) are off or misfiring in some ways it can show itself in with certain neuro changes too, at least with most. also eventually getting the contradted MRI would help too,but the firing is what needs to really be checked out with you first just to rule these in or out as some level of real siezure activity. you do NOT have to be 'out' or unconcious to even have changes in brain activity like with the lessor types of real actual siezures. if i remember right they refer to these more as 'focal' siezures? but don't quote me on that.lol. just see your primary to obtain that needed referral to a good neuologist, and they will take it from there. a neuro is just really the very best place to start for what you are experiencing here.hopefully this is not a symptom of something else. but please do keep me posted, marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
(female)

writerchick324 HB User

Thank you! I actually made an apt with a gen practictioner for Thursday, then I can get a referral from there. I was wondering, since they will probably do an EEG, but what if I do not have any of those shocks while they are monitoring for that hour? I am so worried that I won't have any, and then they will send me home saying I am just a hypochondriac. But it just seems so weird to have these. Plus, when I was younger, I would go into almost panic attacks...where I would describe it as feeling as though "I am here but not really here..." I would freak my mom out and she would tell me to stop saying that when it would happen! lol I will keep you posted, and thank you for the info!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

They use rapid breathing or a flashing/flickering light to induce abnormal electrical activity in the brain during EEG - doctors know actual seizures are hard to "catch", they won't assume you're faking if you don't have one.

Your symptoms sound similar to Absence Seizures, also called Petit Mal seizures, like Marcia said, it's a type of focal epilepsy (effecting one small area of the brain).

The "I am here but not really here..." feeling might be a symptom called derealization and/or depersonalization. It's common symptom of several neurological disorders - epilepsy, migraine, inner ear problems, drugs, insomnia, anxiety, depression, even a mild bump on the noggin' can bring it on temporarily.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
(female)

kcurf HB User

I used to call them zing's I had no better way to describe what was happening to me, and then I would zone out for a while...when they upped my dosage of medication it seemed to help...now this only happens when I am in really noisy situtations.

Closed Thread