It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
(male)

leaper123 HB User
Severe cognitive dysfunction ...need help on diagnosis

Hi, I'm a 22 year old male. On June 22 2009 I returned from a 5 week backpacking trip to Europe. On July 1 I started having headaches. The headaches weren't too bad and only last an hour or so. I had this for about 5 days straight. Then on July 6 I started getting brain fog with the headaches so that's when I went to the doctor. They didn't find anything but they headaches progressively got worse and the cognitive dysfunction got so severe I couldn't even remember what had happened 30 seconds in the past.

I also developed this weird woozy/drugged feeling and have had depersonalization. Spasms/twitches are all over my body. I get dizzy when I stand and also developed oral thrush. I've had 2 MRI 1 CT scan, spinal tap, tons of blood, 3 EEGs and no doctor can figure this out. Only abnormalities were 1 of the 3 EEGs came back abnormal...i think they said it was something like slowing waves in the frontal lobe. Also my protein level in the spinal tap was slightly elevated.

The headaches went strong for about 1 1/2 m months and then now I only get them sporadically. I had to drop out of graduate school because my brain doesn't work anymore. Does this sound like anything to you guys? I can't stand this severe cognitive dysfunction any longer. I can't watch tv or read because nothing processes. I don't have a social life anymore. I think my friends think I'm crazy.

Please help if you think this sounds like something you may know of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
(male)

ITH3 HB User
Re: Severe cognitive dysfunction ...need help on diagnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaper123 View Post
Hi, I'm a 22 year old male. On June 22 2009 I returned from a 5 week backpacking trip to Europe. On July 1 I started having headaches. The headaches weren't too bad and only last an hour or so. I had this for about 5 days straight. Then on July 6 I started getting brain fog with the headaches so that's when I went to the doctor. They didn't find anything but they headaches progressively got worse and the cognitive dysfunction got so severe I couldn't even remember what had happened 30 seconds in the past.

I also developed this weird woozy/drugged feeling and have had depersonalization. Spasms/twitches are all over my body. I get dizzy when I stand and also developed oral thrush. I've had 2 MRI 1 CT scan, spinal tap, tons of blood, 3 EEGs and no doctor can figure this out. Only abnormalities were 1 of the 3 EEGs came back abnormal...i think they said it was something like slowing waves in the frontal lobe. Also my protein level in the spinal tap was slightly elevated.

The headaches went strong for about 1 1/2 m months and then now I only get them sporadically. I had to drop out of graduate school because my brain doesn't work anymore. Does this sound like anything to you guys? I can't stand this severe cognitive dysfunction any longer. I can't watch tv or read because nothing processes. I don't have a social life anymore. I think my friends think I'm crazy.

Please help if you think this sounds like something you may know of.
I have/had many of the same symptoms. After going undiagnosed for years (from ages 20-27), I was finally told that the cognitive problems are being caused by what is either a low-grade tumor or a cortical dysplasia (in the left, prefrontal lobe). Although the brain abnormality presented itself on my first and subsequent MRIs the neurologists who reviewed the test's results, for reasons that still remain a mystery to me, dismissed the connection. Unfortunately for me, there is no guarantee that surgery will reverse the cognitive problems, and since I scored around average on IQ tests, the doctors have decided that, at least for the time being, it is best to leave the abnormality alone.

Of course, I was anything but average, cognitively speaking, before this all started, and while an average IQ score to the doctor's weighs in favor or not doing the surgery, I see it in the exact opposite light.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
(male)

nneurologia HB User
Re: Severe cognitive dysfunction ...need help on diagnosis

Hi, you should visit a Neuropsychologist in order to ask him (her) about cognitive tests and define if your cognitive dysfuntions are assocciated with specific brain tumors. The participation of a neurologist who could check your Magnetic Resonance Imaging is desirable.
I really hope you can recover your health.
Regards.

Closed Thread