It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
(male)

midwestmess HB User
Anyone ever passed out while eating?

Ok - I know this is going to sound crazy, and I will try and explain it as best I can. Once in awhile, after swallowing a bite of food, I get almost instantly lightheaded and feel as if I'm about to pass out. This has been happening for years, although (until tonight) I never tried to keep track of the frequency. It happens often enough that I don't give it much thought, but it certainly isn't a daily phenomenon and may not even be once per week. It only happens after I swallow a bite of food, and (this will sound crazy) for some reason I want to say it most often happens when I eat something with bread (i.e. sandwich, burger, etc). I'm not taking too big a bite, nor is it from eating too fast (well, I don't think so anyway). However, until tonight, I never actually passed out because of it. I couldn't have been "out" very long - nobody sitting near me noticed anything (other than hearing my plate hit the floor in the restaurant). However, I'm positive I lost consciousness - even if it was only a second. I'm 40 years old, and am reasonably sure this has been happening for at least 20 years now (yeah - I'm going to see my doctor next week, but was hoping for some community help to point me in the right direction). I do not have the sensation of being unable to swallow, nor am I actually choking on food. The sensation of being dizzy and feeling as if I'm going to pass out, however, occurs almost instantly and generally lasts briefly (5-10 seconds maybe?).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
(male)

waynel HB User
Smile Re: Anyone ever passed out while eating?

Hi I'm from Canada and I know exactly what you are talking about. You are not crazy. I have been telling Drs for 2 years now that everytime I eat anything like a sandwich etc I instantly fall asleep as if someone knock me out, I have even woken up with food still in my mouth (I know it's gross) while I was eating. I fall asleep for 2-3 hours each time. I rarely go out so most of these so called attacks happen at home. I saw the DR and he tested me for diabetes and said maybe I was gettin sugar rush that was responsible but the tests all proved negative. I am still pursuing the reasons why this happens every single day 24-7 and Drs are at a loss to explain why this would be happening. I think I am going to make an appointment to see an Endriocologist and Gastro expert to see if they would possibly know why. So hang in there and keep bugging your Drs if after you see them and they tell you they don't know why like they told me. I would be very interested in what your Drs say when you go and see them and what they say the cause me be. This would be a great help to me because DRs here don't seem to take this to seriously. Just a question?? Do you happen to suffer from insomnia? Hang in there and pleas keep in touch.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
(male)

midwestmess HB User
Re: Anyone ever passed out while eating?

Hey man, appreciate the response, although I'm not sure my symptoms are quite the same (at least, I have not experienced anything near the duration you described). For years, I have experienced periodic episodes where I will come close to fainting after eating a bite of food - but it is very infrequent. I guess you could say that most of the time, I eat food and nothing unexpected occurs. However, last night - instead of almost fainting, I did faint/pass out (although it was extremely quick). I "came to" as my plate hit the floor, and it took a second to become situationally aware, realizing where I was and what had happened. As for insomnia - no; there are nights when I find it difficult to sleep, and some nights are more restful than others, but I expect nothing different from most other people. I'm sorry my symptoms don't seem to be quite the same as yours, and hope you find some answers soon. I've decided I probably shouldn't eat while I drive (something I rarely do anyway) and will discuss this with my doctor next week.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
(male)

waynel HB User

Even if our sleeping after eating may not be the same, I hope that after you do get a diagnosis, you will let me know the results. Although these sleeping attacks may be different, they just might have the same root cause. I hope you don't mind keeping in touch and letting me know when all the results come in to determine what is causing your sleeping condition. Thanks and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
(female)

marcopolo HB User

My mother has been having this problem for a few months now. After many tests, it was decided that there is a problem with the blood flow in the stomach. Sorry I don't have more details. She is taking medication and feeling better. Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
(male)

mikewl HB User

Hey Midwestness. I'm in my late 20's and I've had the same problem for about 10 years now. It usually happens when I take a large bite of bread or something with bread in it like a sandwich. And like you said, it usually occurs once a week or once every couple weeks or so. I passed out twice; the last time about 8 years ago, and only for a couple seconds. When I feel it coming on, I try to breath a little harder and quicker and focus on my breaths. This helps me from passing out. I've had this same feeling before when I tried nitrous oxide. The only thing I could come up with is maybe when we swallow food, it cuts off blood flow to our head and deprives our brain of oxygen causing us to get light headed and sometimes pass out. Have you talked to a doctor yet? I went to one after my mom insisted on it after watching me pass out while eating a sandwich next to her and he was certain iit was my heart. After some testing and being on a heart monitor for 24 hours, he realized it wasn't it and that was all I heard from him. If you find anything out, please post it. I'm not too concerned, just curious.

Last edited by mikewl; 02-10-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
(female)

kmc610 HB User

Hey,

It's rare, but its called swallow syncope or deglutition syncope. Your body has a vagal response when you swallow. Here are some articles:

http://www.med.ucla.edu/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=306

Hope this helps

Kristin

Last edited by moderator2; 07-02-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
(male)

Niitro HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmess View Post
Ok - I know this is going to sound crazy, and I will try and explain it as best I can. Once in awhile, after swallowing a bite of food, I get almost instantly lightheaded and feel as if I'm about to pass out. This has been happening for years, although (until tonight) I never tried to keep track of the frequency. It happens often enough that I don't give it much thought, but it certainly isn't a daily phenomenon and may not even be once per week. It only happens after I swallow a bite of food, and (this will sound crazy) for some reason I want to say it most often happens when I eat something with bread (i.e. sandwich, burger, etc). I'm not taking too big a bite, nor is it from eating too fast (well, I don't think so anyway). However, until tonight, I never actually passed out because of it. I couldn't have been "out" very long - nobody sitting near me noticed anything (other than hearing my plate hit the floor in the restaurant). However, I'm positive I lost consciousness - even if it was only a second. I'm 40 years old, and am reasonably sure this has been happening for at least 20 years now (yeah - I'm going to see my doctor next week, but was hoping for some community help to point me in the right direction). I do not have the sensation of being unable to swallow, nor am I actually choking on food. The sensation of being dizzy and feeling as if I'm going to pass out, however, occurs almost instantly and generally lasts briefly (5-10 seconds maybe?).
Midwestmess, this EXACT thing happened to me. And I mean exact. I get that feeling every so often, like the lightheadedness, especially when eating bread (pasta and the worst, cupcakes lol) and it wasn't anything major until recently when i got increasingly dizzy and passed out while eating pasta. It was only for a second, and I immediately got back up and tryed to figure out what the hell happened.

Anyway I just need to know what ended up happening with you and what I should do because I'm scared it will happen again.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
(female)

hopn4hlp HB User

Hi, I too have this problem. Every time I eat, no matter what it is, I fall asleep. It feels more like passing out. I have no control over it and my brain feels very odd. I have fallen asleep with food in my mouth, woken-up when my face lands in my cereal bowl, and while eating out. This "sleep" can last for several hours. If I am woken-up before it wears off, I have to go back to sleep and my brain feels altered. I have had a glucose test and I've been to an endocronoligist. I am not diabetic. My next appt. is with a Neurology. Oddly, I also have a problem with insomnia. If I could only eat at 10p I guess it would solve both problems! I wanted to know if you have discovered what your diagnosis is? The docs don't seem to have a clue. Thanks, DeAnna

Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
(female)

cccquilter53 HB User

I have had this for years!!! Never have passed out until last Saturday at my daughters house. Very embarrassing - she is medical and thought it was a seizure - NOT. Would love to know why this happens and how to avoid it. Usually happens with breads, but this time it was chips, which I rarely consume. It ONLY happens with food.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
(female)

HAPPYHON HB User

This has happened to me about 5 times over the last six months, exactly as you described today we were on our way home from going to In -n- Out burger, eating a burger and about 2 seconds after I swallowed my 4th or 5th bite I felt light headed and dizzy like I was going to pass out. I could breath fine infact I was taking deep breaths and was able to drink water with no problem, I am concerned that this could happen to me at home while its just me and my young children. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmess View Post
Ok - I know this is going to sound crazy, and I will try and explain it as best I can. This has been happening for years, although (until tonight) I never tried to keep track of the frequency. It happens often enough that I don't give it much thought, but it certainly isn't a daily phenomenon and may not even be once per week. It only happens after I swallow a bite of food, and (this will sound crazy) for some reason I want to say it most often happens when I eat something with bread (i.e. sandwich, burger, etc). I'm not taking too big a bite, nor is it from eating too fast (well, I don't think so anyway). However, until tonight, I never actually passed out because of it. I couldn't have been "out" very long - nobody sitting near me noticed anything (other than hearing my plate hit the floor in the restaurant). However, I'm positive I lost consciousness - even if it was only a second. I'm 40 years old, and am reasonably sure this has been happening for at least 20 years now (yeah - I'm going to see my doctor next week, but was hoping for some community help to point me in the right direction). I do not have the sensation of being unable to swallow, nor am I actually choking on food. The sensation of being dizzy and feeling as if I'm going to pass out, however, occurs almost instantly and generally lasts briefly (5-10 seconds maybe?).

Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
(female)

HAPPYHON HB User

cccquilter53-
Same thing here I was telling my husband the other day that I think it mostly happens when eating breads! Did you figure anything out yet?

Last edited by HAPPYHON; 07-24-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #13
(male)

Only One HB User

I had experienced this phenomina for 4 times since2008, Most resent one was about 20 days before. Got all genrel tests done but with no result as the tests were normal. As per my Dr's sugesstion I had undergone Holter Test which had given an indication of some problem in hearts electrical system I intermitently miss one impulse in lower chamber. Now my Dr. had sugested EP Test before going in for engiogram or engioplasty or pacemaker implant.

Closed Thread