It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
(male)

sinjid9 HB User
Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak

If my brain leaks Cerebrospinal Fluid through my Nose what effects does it have on my Brain and Body? I'm just asking because I'm leaking clear fluid from my Nose.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak

more than likely,unless you recently suffered a truama to your head, what you are actually seeing actually is just plain ols 'snot/mucus'. not all mucus is thick in nature. some people actually have a continuous 'drip' of what you are describing and have to constantly wipe their nose becasue of it just being pretty much there all the time.

the one way you can actually really tell what could be CSF from just what is a post nasal drip, is by catching a good drop of the fluid that is coming out of your nose on like a 2x2 gauze pad(center if at all possible),then laying the gauze pad on a table for about a minute or so? then look at it and see what it looks like. CSF actually has like a slight yellowish cast to it and an oily type of base too. if it is present in any dripping from your nose, it would actually create kind of a 'halo' effect right where the drop is? it seperates from any water based fluid like nasal secretions.

but honestly, it really would take something pretty profound occuring to even have an actual CSF leak that would be coming out your nose. usually a more inside skull fracture of some kind that breaks that surrounding dura where the sac just surrounds the brain? i have worked some pretty major trauma over my years as an emt/ff and have only had one case where actual CSF came out of an ear and the nose too. the thing is, it is usually in that case also tinged with blood as well. your very best bet here really would be to just see your doc about this dripping. it is more than likely due to an ENT thing and not what you are actually asking about. at least this would ease YOUR mind. please let me know just what you find out,Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
(female)

tgmerlini HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjid9 View Post
If my brain leaks Cerebrospinal Fluid through my Nose what effects does it have on my Brain and Body? I'm just asking because I'm leaking clear fluid from my Nose.
i have a headache several every few weeks. left sided, up and over head and very bad down around base of head. a few times it leaked profusely liquid when sleeping that woke me up. i'm concerned about a csf leak. any comments?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
(female)

xtine04 HB User

i have had a CSF leak for years. i have improved with bedrest and so far have gone undiagnosed by any physician.

if you think you're leaking CSF it's best to see if you improve with following simple precautions such as no lifting, bending straining... and of course follow up with a dr. make sure you're very observant with how your symptoms worsen and improve with activity. most doctors will write it off as something else.

my csf leak is thru my ear which occurred with mild baurotrauma (swimming in a pool) i think this is a common site which can go unnoticed and also can require minimal trauma as there might already be a congenital weakness already there.

best of luck.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:11 AM   #5
(female)

PumpkinSeed HB UserPumpkinSeed HB User

i've been a spontaneous cranial leak through my nose for 14 years.

as for effects on your brain and body, well, it's a "pain" to bend over and leak all over the floor or on yourself. so far (knock on wood) i haven't had anything else really show up. except extreme anxiety attacks about it the last few years that i've been researching it on the net, which i wouldn't even do if i were you because it's pretty harsh.

a good ENT can patch the leaks through your nose. i had my left side patched in july of 2010 and my right side just popped a new leak in the last while, so i gotta get that fixed soon.

Closed Thread