It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 04:56 PM   #1
(male)

charlessnay HB User
Rear end collision

I was recently rearended by another car traveling about 35MPH, I was stopped at a trafic light. Immediately after the impact, I felt a very slight pain in my neck. Later that same night, the pain became severe in my neck, back, sholders and left are with tingleling in my hand and fingers. Now, six days later, I am still having severe pain and the symtoms mentioned above along with inability to sleep, vertigo, and other symtoms that have me quite worried. I am 72 years old, and have never felt like this. What is going on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: Rear end collision

Please go to a medical docter,and have him examine you regarding this accident.
This will get you covered for insurance purposes.I had this happen and my co-worker suggested a visit to the dr. I received ten times the medical costs.The back can act up weeks later ,I believe. Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
(female)

biminia HB User

Sorry this has happened to you. It is great that you are searching for answers on healthboards. I was rearended while stopped at a traffic light too. By a fully loaded 18 wheeler.
When you are rearended in a car accident you likely suffer a whiplash injury. As the head accelerates forward and back again, the neck muscles and ligaments get stretched. If severe, it can cause axonal shearing in the brain, or compression of the cervicle spine. Tingling in arms and hands and sometimes in legs is common after a whiplash injury. You may also experience visual changes, dizzyness, headache, memory problems, fatigue and other symptoms.
You foremost need rest. No stress. Lots of sleep. A healthy diet.
You might find application of heat soothing for neck pain. You can fill a sock up with rice and throw it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Then wrap the sock around your neck. Careful, it might radiate heat and get too hot.

Don't think of a lawsuit, foremost think of healing and getting better. I was stuck in a lawsuit for over 5 years. Eleven!!! (11) lawyers were involved somehow, four insurance companies. Your health just might be more important than bringing job security to legal staff.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

Charlessnay, this is whiplash and you need to go to the doctor. I also got whiplash from a car accident and some can be pretty severe. My symptoms were horribly stiff painfull neck, headaches, numbness and tingling in one arm and fingers, trouble remembering things, dizzy spells, balance problems, feeling out of it all the time etc. It is VERY common for symptoms to come on later after an accident. The severity of your symptoms suggests what I had which is muscle strain, the accident stretches your neck and back muscles beyond their normal range of motion, once this is done, they then tighten back up into a hard knot, these knots then put pressure on the blood vessels going to your head affecting the oxygen supply, causing the symptoms there, and to your upper back and arms. Unless these symptoms are minimal, they do not go away with just rest. I was referred to physical therapy and it took almost a year for me to get better, but mine was extremely severe. I did sue, I was on my way to work and then unable to even move, all from whiplash, for a year, but it was worth it for me, it did take 2 years to settle, but I went through a ton of pain and ended up with thousands in medical bills. Please go to a neurologist, ortho., etc., and get this checked out, if it is all in the muscles, you will need physical therapy. I hope you find the help you need.

Closed Thread