It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Exclamation Fast forward sensation

I posted a thread a while back about these weird "fast forward" sensations I get. I thought I was just crazy or I was the only person on earth who experienced these. Its been a while since I've had one but I am so scared of them coming back and what is even scarier is I don't know whats caused them. I've been to the ER a few times and the ER doctors say they can't help me if I am not having one of these "episodes" right then. Which is understandable but I can't control when they come on or how often. It can be weeks, months or go years without having another one and then they come on again out of the blue. Usually it is at night when I am going to sleep it seems that they start.
When I get these feelings or "episodes" its like everything around me speeds up into fast motion and everything moves way to fast for me. Raising my hand, picking something up, listening to someone talk,everything is in super speed but no one around me can tell that something is wrong with me. I can talk, move and everything but everything around me is NOT normal.
I have really bad tinnitus that I think has to be related somehow. One time when I was very small my cousin and I were playing doctor and as part of the exam I remember she stuck something metal in my ear to "check my hearing" and hit the metal thing and it made a horribly loud, vibrating noise all through my ear, I'm lucky probably that I didn't go deaf, I was only about 6to 9 years old maybe when this happened but I think then the ringing in my ears started and these feelings started in.
My family doctor said one time he thought I may have some nerve damage to my deep inner ear.
Well, when I first started posting I acutally found a few people who have th same fast forward symptoms I do. If you are still members of the board I would like to hear from you and get your support on this also. I feel so alone and no one can understand how I'm feeling. If you've found out what this is I'd love to know to. It must be really rare because doctorss, friends or family members I've tried to describe my symptoms to just kind of look at me like I'm making it up because it seems so far fetched and unbelievable.

Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to Hamilton92:
justsayin (02-21-2011)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hamilton92 For This Useful Post:
ismiseluke (10-11-2012), Jelvidge (03-22-2011), justsayin (02-21-2011), Spooker (12-24-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
(female)

kitchener12 HB User
Re: Fast forward sensation

Hello
I have been off these boards for a while, I am wondering if you have posted on the hearing and/or inner ear boards with this?
I have/had tinnitus and it was helpful to find people with a similar condition.
I am sure you are not the only one having these episodes I have suffered from vertigo due to ear surgery too not fast fwd-ing but maybe they are related like you say.. Have you tried getting a refferal to a neuro-otologist? these drs specialize in brain/ear issues.
Best wishes

Old 02-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

kingBrooks123 HB User

I am 56 and my son is 25. We have both had this fastforwarding experience since we were children. So I guess it is inheritable. My son would say when he was young to me, "Does everything seem like it is going really fast?" I would say, "No, it isn't but it will stop soon." Even the people on TV sound like they are talking really fast. It lasts maybe a couple to a few minutes. My son and I have compared notes and times of intense stress seem to bring it on, i.e. Exams, deadlines, bad relationships, etc. We don't know what it is and most people think we're crazy when we try to explain it, but we're not. It is a really weird feeling and it cannot be controlled---just go with it until it stops. It really is strange and the best thing to do is just sit down, slowly, and let it go away on its own. I always said to friends, "I don't need to take drugs---I have my own little speed trip that I go on now and then without warning." Glad to know that we're not the only people out there with this.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
(female)

VA_girl HB User

sometimes diff types of partial seizures make people have these funny random feelings or episodes. Have you investigated the possibility of epilepsy?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Never thought of epilepsy but checked into something called sps or simple partial seizures and could never find symptoms like this. I've tried to google it thousands of different ways. This must be really rare but when it happens it is very scary. Does tinnitus have somethind to do with it? It seems also for me that it happens when it is really quiet, like bedtime and then it comes out out of the blue. I've been to the ER and the doctors say they can't help me unless I'm experiencing it right then and of course I tell them I never know when it will happen and I have no way of controlling it.
I just wish and pray that someday we all that experience this can get a proper diagnosis. I'm laid off and no med insurance right now but as soon as I get insurance again I'm going to try to get in to a neurologist.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Hamilton92: I just posted on the other board and then looked up some of your other posts and saw your comments about tinnitus. I have it too, and it seems to get worse the more I have these seizures. I also have TMJ and that's been known to cause the tinnitus. I grind my teeth and wear a night guard. So you AND your husband are having issues. You might want to have your house scanned for toxic elements like mold. Do you live in an area that could be toxic to you?

Where I live used to be apple orchards years ago - who knows what they sprayed around here. There are many people I've met from the town I live in that have the same issues with the epilepsy and the majority are women!!! These chemicals play games with the hormones. I can't even be near cigarettes, gasoline, perfume, cleaning chemicals, etc........ They're all increasing the estrogen in me. Sorry to ramble but I just want you to know that when you do get a chance to see a neurologist they're going to put you and your husband on seizure meds if they can, and there are alot of side-effects to them. Try the natural route first if you can. It's unfortunate in today's world that these doctors don't know anything to help us with except give a pill!!! Good luck.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

so this is epilepsy? I don't have them regularly. I getr weird feelings in my head sometimes like I'm about to have of of these but end up not having one. Could this be fatal or is it something I can live a long life and keep under control? These seizures are so scary when they happen and I don't want them to start back up again.
They stopped for almost 7 years the last time and then they just come back out of the blue. I wonder if the doctors could cure the tinnitus if it would completely, forever stop the seizures.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Hamilton92: You might just be having auras. This could get serious if you don't treat it. I ended up losing my license because I crashed my car after having a seizure behind the wheel. I can't get it back until I'm 6 mo. seizure free.

You need to either see a neurologist or a neuro-endocrinologist. Get an EEG, MRI and get your hormones tested. With me it's all hormonal so the meds don't work even though I take them. I'm told that I've got estrogen dominance and that's what's causing the brain cells to misfire. I'm on 600 mg of progesterone along with Lupron to see if I can get the estrogen reduced and therefore reduce the seizures. It's not fun being in this state of mind. I'd rather be having hot flashes!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

They've been happening to me since I was 15 years old. What kinds of symptoms do you experience with your auras?
I never know when they are going to happen, I kind of have a notion on when I am not feeling right and may have one that day but never know.
How serious could they get? What are the complications?

Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92: the auras feel like you're confused and disoriented and might have a bit of dizziness or goose bumps or some kind of electrical sensation come over your body. It's weird. I just had one this morning when I went out with a friend. I wasn't in the car 5 minutes and just the heat from the sun or the motion of the car set me off.

If you're having seizures, then I've been told every time you have one you're losing brain cells. You lose your short term memory and can't remember what's happened.

I know I had a couple of seizures in my sleep last night because I woke up and was thinking about what day it was and I couldn't remember and was all confused. I also felt the bite on my lower inside lip. I had my Lupron shot yesterday and that could have triggered something. I'm just going nuts today with anxiety and I just feel like crawling in a hole. It's school vacation here too and that's adding to the stress! Stress is a trigger for these seizures.

The seizures can get serious enough to the point where you could hurt yourself or someone else if you're not aware of what you're doing. That's why there's no driving allowed. If one happens behind the wheel, like it did to me, then you're in deep trouble.

This is just driving me insane. I hate it!! It's not good for me or anyone else around me because I'm just on edge and ready to explode any minute! Menopause is hard enough and to have these issues on top of it is just throwing me for a loop!

Thanks for listening.

Closed Thread