It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

jgenna HB User
numbness in face, neck, jaw, scalp..

Can someone help please.. I am numbness in my face,eyes get numb and itchy, numb neck, jaw, scalp, teeth, sometimes nose, and now in my lower abdomen, personal area, and lower back and buttocks.. My doctor tells me it is just anxiety.. but I do not believe that. I have anxiety in the past and this is nothing like it. It comes and goes but it has now lasted for days.. I can't even feel the heat from the blowdryer when my scalp gets numb. Oh, also the top of my hands and feet get numb and I get this itchy feeling.. I also have a hard time swallowing when things feel numb, when I take pills it feels like they are getting stuck half way down. I know it is a mix of things.. but anyone have ideas??

Last edited by jgenna; 01-25-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
(female)

nikkicaligirl HB User
Re: numbness in face, neck, jaw, scalp..

I could have written your post myself. I registered just to answer your question! It is anxiety. Ive suffered from it my whole adult life. Theres different kinds of anxiety and they all have different symptoms that go along with it.

Generalized anxiety for me hits with no warning, Ive never figured out if I have a trigger for these symptoms it doesnt seem to. I get the flash of hot from my head to toes, panicky, shaking, sweating and freezing, racing thoughts, impending doom, what-ifing myself to death thinking its some medical disporder.

Then theres my stress trigger which sounds just like yours....feeling numb all down my left arm and leg mostly my hands and feet, left face and jaw from my jaw joint to the point of my chin up along side my nose making my nose feel weird and around and back behind my eye. sometimes my eye will feel pressure, ear feels itchy or tingly and hot inside. Scalp feels funky and tingly but dead at the same time. I also get the crotch numbness on my right side and muscle pains/pricks in weird random places. ice pick headache on the back of my head on the right side sometimes visual disturbances, nothing too major. Feeling not dizzy or lightheadded but unsteady and "off" if that makes since? Stress causes muscle tension in your neck and upper back that lead to the tightening of the muscles, the best thing you can do is get a good massage or visit your chiropractor. Have them help you do some stretches and rub those tense muscles before the adjustment. Your vertebrae in your neck are extremely susceptible to stress and tense muscles. This usually works wonders for me when I cant shake it off or my Buspar(anxiety meds i take) isnt kicking it. AF usually aggravates my stress triggers and my anxiety peaks around this time and thats when I hit my anxiety bottom. Another symptom that drives me the craziest is the feeling like your shaking but in reality your not moving, I often wake up doing this after bad or vivid dreams durring a bad anxiety time.

I hope this helps you. The sooner you learn your triggers and the cause and effect of your anxiety the easier it will be to manage. I dont have much room to talk because i still get freaked out even though I know exactly what it is. Ive had MRI, CAT both with and without contrast, vials and vials of blood work. Every test a person can possibly do. Im very careful never to reveal i have anxiety to a new Dr. and purposely not mention he anxiety meds and Ive been through at least 12 Dr's not to mention 2 hospital stays that have ruled out just about every known disease, disorder you name it. Lingual B12 and a good multivitimin every day help me alot.

Last edited by nikkicaligirl; 02-12-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
(female)

jgenna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkicaligirl View Post
I could have written your post myself. I registered just to answer your question! It is anxiety. Ive suffered from it my whole adult life. Theres different kinds of anxiety and they all have different symptoms that go along with it.

Generalized anxiety for me hits with no warning, Ive never figured out if I have a trigger for these symptoms it doesnt seem to. I get the flash of hot from my head to toes, panicky, shaking, sweating and freezing, racing thoughts, impending doom, what-ifing myself to death thinking its some medical disporder.

Then theres my stress trigger which sounds just like yours....feeling numb all down my left arm and leg mostly my hands and feet, left face and jaw from my jaw joint to the point of my chin up along side my nose making my nose feel weird and around and back behind my eye. sometimes my eye will feel pressure, ear feels itchy or tingly and hot inside. Scalp feels funky and tingly but dead at the same time. I also get the crotch numbness on my right side and muscle pains/pricks in weird random places. ice pick headache on the back of my head on the right side sometimes visual disturbances, nothing too major. Feeling not dizzy or lightheadded but unsteady and "off" if that makes since? Stress causes muscle tension in your neck and upper back that lead to the tightening of the muscles, the best thing you can do is get a good massage or visit your chiropractor. Have them help you do some stretches and rub those tense muscles before the adjustment. Your vertebrae in your neck are extremely susceptible to stress and tense muscles. This usually works wonders for me when I cant shake it off or my Buspar(anxiety meds i take) isnt kicking it. AF usually aggravates my stress triggers and my anxiety peaks around this time and thats when I hit my anxiety bottom. Another symptom that drives me the craziest is the feeling like your shaking but in reality your not moving, I often wake up doing this after bad or vivid dreams durring a bad anxiety time.

I hope this helps you. The sooner you learn your triggers and the cause and effect of your anxiety the easier it will be to manage. I dont have much room to talk because i still get freaked out even though I know exactly what it is. Ive had MRI, CAT both with and without contrast, vials and vials of blood work. Every test a person can possibly do. Im very careful never to reveal i have anxiety to a new Dr. and purposely not mention he anxiety meds and Ive been through at least 12 Dr's not to mention 2 hospital stays that have ruled out just about every known disease, disorder you name it. Lingual B12 and a good multivitimin every day help me alot.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
(female)

jgenna HB User

Thanks for your response. I really needed some justification that it wasn't all just in my head.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
(female)

nikkicaligirl HB User

glad to be of reassurance!

Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
(female)

summergirl10 HB User

hi!
dont you worry im the exact same im 21 and every day i seem to panic about something thinking something is wrong with my, infact thats how i found this because i was feeling the numb feeling and instantly thought that there was something seriously wrong with me!
I know how it is, all i want to do is make it stop, everyday i think ive got a serious problem some diesease.
Im too embarrsed to talk about it with my family or friends and they all see me as i positive person which I am apart from me weird.
Anyways just thought id let ya know your not the only person who experiences all these feelings.
Hope all is well

Old 06-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #7
(female)

kholdeman HB User

Wow, I am so glad I am not alone with my weird numb feelings. I have been diagnosed in the past with anxiety disorders and a host of other emotional disorders. But, I have stopped medication a long time ago as none of it ever really helped. I used to get this numb feeling in my nose when I took a certain anti-seizure medication (used for bi-polar disorder) but as soon as I told my doctor of the problem they took me off the meds. I have not taken any medication in three years. But I do have experiences where my nose just goes numb...so very random. I have some of the other numbness you have described in other areas as well but the nose seems to happen the most often. It is very strange and since I havent had any other problems I have not been too freaked out about it...and I am in some very stressful situations at this time so it is nice to know that someone else has dealt with this. I know not to take your diagnosis as my own but it does make sense. Thanks

Closed Thread