It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
(female)

buchangirl HB User
what is wrong with me

Can anyone please help. Ive just had a mri scan because the doctor thought the problems i was having with my waterworks were down to nerve damage in my back, but the mri showed a slight bulge in a disk, nothing else. my problem started 4 years ago when i got a real bad virus that floored me for around 3 months. They talked about ME but i kind of got back to normal. I then started to get a gripping pain around my ankle and calf muscle on my left leg. Back pain started after that and i got a mri which showed no nerve damage, but was told by the neurosurgeon that it didnt mean i couldnt feel pain. I got on with life but the back pain got slightly worse. i then got what the doctors called a virus and then anxiety attacks and depression, off work for another 7 months. All the while i was getting new pain and sensations in my left leg and side of my back. I then found out i needed glasses and it is the left eye that is affected. Not sure if that is important. last year i lost the ability to walk for aroung 10 hours each time, exactly 4 weeks apart. since then my back pain has got worse and sensations in legs and feet have increased also. As i said new mri showed nothing so now i am so worried as it must have been the brain that sent the signals to not be able to walk. my health has gone downhill slowly since that first virus. please has anyone got anyideas as im now waiting for an appointment for a neurologist but this could take a while.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
(male)

ParrotHeadPC HB User
Re: what is wrong with me

Have you has a spinal tap? When I jear virus and nerve problems along with pain manifestations and loss of limb useage....I thing encephalitis, meningitis.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
(female)

buchangirl HB User

No parrotheadpc ive never had a spinal tap, but ive yet to see the neurologist. ive now got numbness in my face and lower lip.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wondering hon how far up that MRI was that was done on you? and did they also use a contrasting agent as well? what your symptoms are kind of indicating here is this very easily just could be stemming from some type of real issue that is NOT actually located in your low back, but could very easily be stemming from anywhere above that lumbar in either the T or C spine level too? if thay have not done a full spinal MRI with contrast on you, just considering your latest symptoms too, that really do NEED to go up that way now. trust me here when i say that there are just MANY possible issue that anyone can just 'have" or even be born with in any area of the spinal, and even wayy up in that c spine area can create many different presentations of symptoms to any place located below that c spine area if it is just impacted in any real way too? it is ONLY becasue of the much higher level of possible c spine impact that would/could just very easily be able to give symptoms any level below it. i personally have a TON of symptoms below the level of my c 7 T 1 level cord injury.

i would actualy see about getting that full spinal contrasted MRI but actually start it at the brain level on down just given the facial symptoms and what appears to also be some level of impact on what could be in the cerebellum which governs 'gait" and your ability to simply kind of 'know' where any body parts are with relation to space, and it also impacts and governs part of our vision. but the bigger thing here is for every single working area of the brain that sends signals to and from the periphery ALSO has a very real corresponding spinal 'tract' within our spinal cords that is just soo needed to be intact in order for those signals to even get too and from our brains. there IS a tract called the spinocerebellar that directly would link a possible spinal cord issue to your brain. mine just happens to be damaged from my cord surgery, along with two other very crucial tracts as well. and believe me, that spinocerebellar has SHOWN itself with my abilitys to walk at times and even being able to walk a straight line? i always tend to vear off to the left, no matter how hard i try to like stay in the middle when walking down my hallway in my house?

you are just having some type of very definite 'disruption' of signals somewhere either in that spinal area or even the brain(less likely than the spinal tho) that IS kind of 'knocking out' you walking ability from time to time that simply NEEDS to be found where its coming from. like i already mentioned here,that spinal would be the most likely and common place to have that type of signal disruption with the actual brain coming in a second to it. this just needs a fully contrasted MRI from the brain and down thru at least the very end of that T spine area since i am only assuming that your already done MRIs were "only' done in that lumbar or slightly above? i too have bladder issues from MY cord crap too. so who really knows. but getting those key areas just fully scanned with contrast would be a great type of a "baseline" and diagnositic just looking at what your symptoms have been and what you have been feeling too. this is what i would ask for right now if i were having what you are as symptoms. everything that just CAN impact what anyones true symptoms actually are simply NEEDS to be tested if for no other reason than to rule them out as possibles? or rule some type of real solid finding IN as the base of the probelm. i do hope thay will allow this from your brain on down and make certain it just IS WITH a contrasting agent too. it does help TONS to better highlight certain areas, espescially vessels within the brain and running along that cord area too. please let us know what you find out and make CERTAIN to always always obtain your very own copies of ANY real testing results like the MRI reports too? you just really DO need this stuff for alot of reasons. make sure you also obtain the other MRI reports done on you too just so you have them all in your possession. Marcia

Old 02-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
(female)

buchangirl HB User

Thank you feelbad for taking the time to give such a detailed answer, it is much appreciated The MRI was on the lower back area only as that was where they thought the problem was. I was gutted when they said my problems were not coming from the back as ive not got it in my head that its something really bad. Im not sure where you live but im in scotland with the good old NHS and everything takes time. The longer this goes on the more I worry and get it in my head that this is going to effect all aspects of my life, including my job. i dont like going to doctors now as i feel im talking to myself and sound like a bit of a hypocondriac as some of the sensation i get i wonder if they are all in my head. buchangirl

Closed Thread