It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #31
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User
Re: weakness & strange feeling in head

I think I'm just going to jump the gun and take the sinus-angle next time I see the regular doctor. Of all the ideas presented anywhere I talk about head pressure, sinusitis has been mentioned the most.

if i get candida from antibiotics, so be it.

i can't tolerate this darn thing any longer.

i don't know what you would expect saline nasal spray to do, though. how many times a day do i use it?

thanks

Old 04-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

some people said they used the saline spray and it helped...that's why I posted that...I myself am not sure how it would help,but it's a simple thing to try,you know?it can't hurt....

I know you're taking supplements...can you list them and also are you on an anti-depressant?or were youi on one?if so which ones?

Scout

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #33
Senior Veteran
(female)

not sure how many times a day for the nasal spray,but I think it will tell you on the bottle...it's just water with salt in it I'm almost positive.

okay so when the head pressure started was it after you moved to a new residence?think back and try to think of any changes that occurred at the time your head pressure started,okay?this is important...did you say you felt better when you were outside also?exercising helped you sometimes...am I correct on that?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #34
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout316 View Post
not sure how many times a day for the nasal spray,but I think it will tell you on the bottle...it's just water with salt in it I'm almost positive.

okay so when the head pressure started was it after you moved to a new residence?think back and try to think of any changes that occurred at the time your head pressure started,okay?this is important...did you say you felt better when you were outside also?exercising helped you sometimes...am I correct on that?
Dear scout,

No, I haven't moved to a new residence. Even though I have admitted it before, it's with some shame to admit I first got the pressure when I was using addictive drugs. It started very mildly one night, so I just shrugged it off as something that would go away, and continued with my drug of choice. You kinda throw caution to the wind in such a poor mental state as I was in. But first off, it did not go away, and secondly, continued abuse made the head pressure a heck of a lot worse.

If you want to look at the sinus angle here, well this is the kind of drug that has side effects on the sinuses. Stimulants such as I used affect sinus pathways much the same way as Sudafed, except with much greater potency. I also got very ill during that period with several terrible colds and a flu-like syndrome at one point, so there were some very clear adverse effects going on with the paranasal network.

I've also had terrible IBS-like symptoms just as long as I've had the head pressure. The IBS and the pressure may have started around the same time. Other than that, new symptoms such as constant left-ear tinnitus, reduced skin sensation, odd gait, constant dry eyes, difficulty moving eye muscles, and so forth (there is more)... these have accumulated gradually through the years.

I still believe that whatever is the cause of the pressure, is probably the cause of most (but probably not all) of my symptoms. Whenever my pressure is at its worst, the other symptoms become worse, too.

Just being outside does nothing for the pressure. However rigorous exercise (sports, running) can make it seem like it's gone for an hour or two afterwards--but once that "grace period" is over, damn that pressure comes back SO much worse than it was before exercise, it's practically pulsating in my head. It seems that light exercise is the most helpful--while I don't have the grace period like I do with strenuous exercise, the pressure doesn't get worse, either. I seem to get mild relief for several hours from light exercise.

Another thing that helps: For some reason, the process of eating, and an hour after eating, the pressure isn't as bad.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well you have to try to rule in/out what may be the cause/s.The sinus is a good choice where to begin.

I know a few people who had tremendous ongoing head pressure related to a sinus problem.Could be your sinuses got quite a tremendous workout from the drug use.The fact that you have visual problems would be a clue that it's coming from the sinus.

Try the saline spray...if it does help a bit then maybe what you may need is a steroid nasal spray...that'd be great if something like that'd help you.When my brain MRI showed a "slight thickening of the sinuses" I felt like I could not function normally...I know I was low in B12 then,but I also had sx not related to B12 and thought they were Chiari related,but the drs. said they weren't.I'll bet you have severe sinus pressure.So to sum it up I suggest you try the nasal spray and then go from there,okay?

You're going to get better and someday you'll be able to help others who have the same health problems as yourself...

Scout

Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #36
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Well you have to try to rule in/out what may be the cause/s.The sinus is a good choice where to begin.

I know a few people who had tremendous ongoing head pressure related to a sinus problem.Could be your sinuses got quite a tremendous workout from the drug use.The fact that you have visual problems would be a clue that it's coming from the sinus.

Try the saline spray...if it does help a bit then maybe what you may need is a steroid nasal spray...that'd be great if something like that'd help you.When my brain MRI showed a "slight thickening of the sinuses" I felt like I could not function normally...I know I was low in B12 then,but I also had sx not related to B12 and thought they were Chiari related,but the drs. said they weren't.I'll bet you have severe sinus pressure.So to sum it up I suggest you try the nasal spray and then go from there,okay?

You're going to get better and someday you'll be able to help others who have the same health problems as yourself...

Scout
I really wish I could thank you for your support in other ways than just typing it here. But as it is, you don't just get one gold star, you get a dozen

I will try the saline nasal spray asap, see if i get any kind of relief from it. I'm not holding out great hope that such a simple remedy will help, but it certainly can't hurt to try. Can't have unrealistic expectations anymore, y'know, and all that.

Did you have any other symptoms at the time your brain MRI showed "thickening of the sinuses", like... weakness, fatigue, visual problems? And if so, did they get better after the Biaxin?

i'll report back with any news when there is some.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #37
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bill...this one neurologist told me that there are some migraines that will affect your sinuses...your sinuses will actually not drain & become "thickened"(like on my MRI)....those migraines can cause no pain...just a whole lotta symptoms...like the visual disturbances(called auras),weakness,off-balance,teeth hurting.........so many sx...

Well the time I had the Biaxin was only when I had the head pressure(no other sx,except teeth hurting).

You know vascular headaches can cause the visual distubances and you have to eliminate certain things in your diet for that...plus drs. would probably recommend something like "Imitrex" migaine medicine...even if you don't have any pain...because it's still a migraine and most people think they have a sinus headache,but it actually is a migraine that affects the sinuses...get it?I know it's a bit confusing,but it sounds like this might be what you have....to sum it up>vascular headache with no pain(causing visual disturbances),sinuses not draining properly(caused by the vascular migraine)which in turn is causing head pressure,teeth hurting,tinnitus........

Scout

Old 04-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #38
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Yeah, that's confusing alright...

you mention some of this could be painless migraine with aura. the visual disturbances i've been waking up with lately (for the last 3 months) are of no small concern to me. my older brother got his first grand mal seizure about 8 months ago now (it was actually status epilepticus... what a terrible way to have your first seizure), and he was 32. he has since suffered an additional eight tonic-clonic seizures. i certainly hate scaring myself, but all i'm trying to say is, i hope these visual episodes are--like you suggested--migraine auras, and not simple partial seizures. Recent medical advances apparently have found that it's tough to tell the two apart.

So in the meantime, while I work on seeing if i can get any relief from the sinusitis-type symptoms, I wanted to ask what symptoms you're currently having. I know that was discussed in the original post in this thread, but what about right now? at least with me, some symptoms can change rapidly, from day to day in fact.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #39
Senior Veteran
(female)

hi Bill

Okay here are my current symptoms:

sensory disturbance(for example:a tv show has people talking and suddenly they start singing loud or stop talking or the traffic outside slows down(we live next to a main road)this is hard for me to adjust to.

glossitis(almost everyday,but somedays it gets better)

muscle weaknes

uncoordinated(feel this when I wash my hands;like it's coming from somewhere in my back)...sometimes I can't tell what position my arms,legs are in?that is a "strange" one for sure

sweating(at night)

fatigue(constant)

tinnitus(right ear...somedays worse than others)

weight loss(I'm working on gaining weight...I was 99 lbs...think I'm 102 now)

heart feels like it skips a few beats and I lose my breath for a few seconds(this happens if I bend forward from the waist;especially after eatting..also happens if I'm holding a book too tightly while I'm reading or grasping anything tightly or putting pressure on my arms;like while sitting at the computer if I rest my elbow on the desk or put too much pressure with my hand on the mouse....seems mostly any pressure applied with my arms/hands triggers it

spine pain(dull sometimes,burning other times)

blue "bruise"inside my left shoulder...been there for a few months I think

unsteady walk

had off & on constipation,but I fixed that by eatting dry raisin bran(not the raisins though)...I eat about a cup in the morning then snack on it a few times during the day...also found it helps to eat some after a bigger meal...now I am "regular" everyday and that is a really good feeling

bloating and gas(this has gotten better,but not completely...I'm watching what I eat...and it is not easy....I think I get "trapped gas",because it feels very stiff under my right ribs and after I have the gas it feels less stiff..or I was thinking maybe I have IBD(inflammatory bowel disease...and or IBS)

sinus problems off/on

urinary urge incontinence

heat/cold intolerance

ataxia

acid reflux(?)certain foods/juice will make my throat spasm,then my heart acts up like it's struggling to beat...sometimes I can taste the acid and then again sometimes it feels like it just sits there in my esophagus

well I think that's about it...

Scout

Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #40
Senior Veteran
(female)

made an error...the bruise type thing is actually inside my Right shoulder blade...it is more of a faded purple color...any ideas what it is from?I didn't have an injury or trauma there...it's the size of a half dollar coin....thanx

Scout

Old 04-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #41
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

I'm going to modify your list of symptoms to keep the ones that I'm also experiencing, and also change the description to fit mine.

Quote:

Okay here are my current symptoms:

sensory disturbance

muscle weakness

uncoordinated (slightly)

sweating (at night)

fatigue(constant)

tinnitus(left ear...somedays worse than others)

unsteady walk

chronic constipation

bloating and gas

cold intolerance

ataxia
I really wish I could be of more assistance to you on this. About the best I can offer up right now is to show that we both have something similar going on, except I'm 28 and you're... what age again? I know it's impolite to ask a woman her age, but in this case I think it would be helpful.

I really have no idea on what the odd bruise on your right shoulder could be from.

I got the saline nasal spray today, there's really no instructions on "frequency of use." However a couple places I looked on the internet about sinusitis mention using saline spray every day for a week. I think that's what I'll do.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #42
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Bill...I think this thread I started might be getting really long,but we can always start a new thread...we have so many symptoms that we could post a whole lot of threads...I think that's funny...I like that.

Scout

Last edited by scout316; 04-18-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #43
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanx Bill

Well we do share so many symptoms...that is amazing...I didn't realize that before.

If we could just get a complete diagnosis now.

I used to attribute most of my sx to the complicated B12 problem I have...lately I've been wondering what my B12 level is now...yeah so it was 998 on March 4th & 605 on March 8th...that is so weird....never been high like that before.I am really upset that my dr. didn't check my B12 on Jan.4th when he gave me a B12 shot...my last shot before that was back on July 17th...so I went almost 6 months without a shot....now I don't know what's going on with my B12.So I'm thinking of having my B12 level checked next time I see the dr.So far I'm scheduled to see the nurse at my neurolgist's office on May 6th(that's how they like to do it there...weird,huh?).I guess I tell the nurse how I've been feeling and so on and then she decides what tests I need?so confusing........the only good thing is I don't have to pay my co-pay which s $60.00 for the neurologist & $30.00 for primary dr....oh yeah and I just found out my insurance only pays 90%(not 100%)after my $500.00 deductible.They also don't pay for the B12 shots(or any shots)...I knew that alreadyoh well....

So I never told you my age...hahaha...okay I'm 46...,but people always think I'm younger(I like that..haha).I have 4 grown sons who are all married & 5 adorable grandchildren.I am a very spiritual person so I spend a lot of time listening to people's problems,praying for them and trying to help them...I am the evangelist in my family so to speak.

Sometimes I think maybe I'll never get well...like I'm supposed to be sick with all these sx in order to help others,but in my heart I believe that I will be well someday...I keep my faith strong no matter what I have to go through.It's really tough at times.I try to be positive even though I feel like I'm dying on the inside most of the time.I'm sure you know how that feels.

Anyways I hope that saline nose spray will help you.It shouldn't give you any side effects.

Well have you tried eatting bran to help with your constipation?It works so good...I just go like automatically everyday now.I'll wake up in the morning and lay there in my bed for an hour,because I hate getting up,but then I have to get up,because I have to go..it is great...you should try it...I eat the raisin bran dry,because I'm allergic to milk(wheeze from it)...it really doesn't taste that bad either.

Scout

Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #44
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

thanks again for your response.

it's true when the threads get long here, they often get closed down. i'll start a new thread pretty soon.

so from previous correspondence, i take it you have been a nurse before? i think you mentioned this once. anyhow, your relatively vast knowledge of health-related topics must come from somewhere.

i've used raisin bran and other bran cereals before, but most of them have too much sugar. too much sugar can cause fatigue for me. but the thing that helps the most these days for my chronic constipation is ground flaxseed. even breakfast cereals that contain flaxseed help, although the best is really the flax you buy separately and can add to food/drink/whatever.

i gave that saline spray a shot the other night. however, unlike Afrin (medicated spray) there was no drainage or clearance. I did notice a couple semi-unusual things, though. there was some popping/crackling in my right ear and later on it seemed like the head pressure had moved to that area above the nose, between the eyebrows. but that was all i noticed, i don't know if that means anything, or not. the pressure was still killing me when i was lying down to sleep, just like usual.

i'll continue using the saline spray for a week. i guess the idea is that moisturizing blocked up sinuses is a gradual process, eh?

thanks,
Bill Z

Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #45
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bill

well I was reading about "pain between the shoulder blades"today...I shouldn't have,because it went on to say that it could be liver cancer,esophageal(sp?)cancer,gall bladder...yuck....I was interested in that,because occasionally I get that pain there...all these sx...what to doooooo?

what bothered me about what I read was that problems with the liver can cause night sweating...interesting,isn't that?plus it said you could have a
discomfort feeling under right ribs(I have that!)....I still need to get that CT scan done....wonder if anything would show...whenever I have tests they're either normal or show something that the drs. can't help me with?that is frustrating.

no I never was a nurse...I was a caregiver though,but I never mentioned that on the boards.you think I know a lot about medical things...well it comes from being loaded with sx and drs. not doing jack to dx me...hahaha...I had the best medical books,but after I got better and thought I wouldn't be ill anymore I got rid of all those books...wish I didn't do that...oh well...can't cry over things like that.

what you said about the nasal spray when you used it....sounds like it did something in there....did you ever try a steroid nasal spray?I'm trying to remember which is which with headaches...they say one kind gets better when you lie down and the other kind gets worse..I think tension gets better & pressure gets worse(which would be like in your case)when you lie down.Head pressure is actually considered a headache.

well anyways I got liver cancer on my mind tonight...now I really feel like a hypochondriac....but that purple bruise type thing on my back is concerning me just a little....plus the pain between my shoulder blades(that eased up after a couple hours...)....

so then your head pressure feels less when you're standing and the worst when your lying down?man I wish you could have a CT scan of your sinuses Bill....did you ever have one?You need a good ENT dr. who knows his stuff...how can you suffer for so many years...you are stronger than you think.....

have a good night....Scout

Closed Thread