HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Brain & Nervous System Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/brain-nervous-system-disorders/)
-   -   weakness & strange feeling in head (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/brain-nervous-system-disorders/736446-weakness-strange-feeling-head.html)

scout316 02-18-2010 04:08 PM

weakness & strange feeling in head

well I am going through a variety of symptoms since December 2009

..the one that is bothering me the most is that whenever I lift anything that has some weight to it:for example a small box of laundry soap or a six pack of small juice bottles I get a funny feeling in my head and feel extremely weak...the strange feeling in my head is hard to explain...it's like I feel disoriented...the feeling lasts anywhere's from 5-10 minutes....during this time I find it a little hard to talk and walk and I feel extremely weak....after that I feel fine.I don't faint or have black outs.

I have a neurologist appointment for March 8th...takes soooo long to get in to see the neuro.:(

My current GP dr. said I need to see a neuro and I agree,but I also have been having a ton of other sx...such as acid reflux(I think that's what it is,because I'm belching very loud...).I just had a heart echo and heart echo stress tests which confirmed I have a slight mitral valve prolapse(which was originally dx in December 2006).My dr. said he heard the murmur at my last visit before the heart tests.

I just do not feel well...and I'm having a lot of problems with anything I eat....I'm down to 104 lbs. and I'm 5'6''....I think I have IBS so my dr. said I need to see a gastroenterologist...( all these specialty docs...I must be a mess...I know I am).

Well I seem to have okay muscle strength for doing small tasks,but even then I have to take it easy when doing dishes or laundry or I get that strange feeling in my head along with the weakness.........

Also I have asthma which is mostly triggered by cold air,food allergies(dairy) and my asthma hasn't acted up in a long time.I'm not currently using any asthma meds.

I do know I have two slightly bulging discs in my neck with mild arthritis there too(MRI in Dec.'06)and also a questionable dx of Chiari I malformation...they said it was more like a slight cerebellar tonsillar ectopia(hind brain herniation)....that was also shown on an MRI in Dec.'06I never had the sx I have now.

Sorry for the long post...but I 'm seriously hoping one of you good people can give me your opinions on the sx I'm having.

Thanks So Much
scout:angel:

scout316 02-18-2010 04:22 PM

Re: weakness & strange feeling in head

almost forgot to mention that on my last dr. visit my blood pressure(top #)was 98...it's usually 110....kind of low I thought,but the nurse said it was good....

thanks again

scout

Benit 02-18-2010 09:30 PM

Dear scout,

Wish I could help you on this. I'm Bill Z... you remember me, right? All I can say is my head hasn't felt right for years, as you know my head pressure is daily, practically 24/7... I have not made much progress on this. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to combat my chronic fatigue, and having some success due to less caffeine, better sleep, and the right supplements. I'm starting my zinc supplement again; last time I tried it, major energy boost but anxiety + insomnia too, so I quit. This time I don't notice much of anything, but will increase the dose tomorrow.

I will say that lifting heavy objects tends to make my head pressure worse, so I don't know what the deal with that is. But it sounds similar to your problem.

How come you only pop up on here so rarely? You were once a regular..

scout316 03-04-2010 10:01 PM

good to hear from you Bill...it has been a long time since we came across each other here.

so you still have the head pressure going on.do you have any idea what your blood pressure is?just so you know I came across a really long thread on the anxiety board where there was this guy(young about your age)and he had the head pressure going on.I thought about you when I read all the posts on that.He ended up having h pylori...he took the full course of antibiotics for it and he still feels like he has the anxiety thing going on.I think the thread was called>intestinal or anxiety>I'll look it up again and let you know the correct name.....I think you might benefit a lot from that thread.I want to check it out anyways to see if he updated it lately.

Well I'm doig a bit better...I saw a new dr. today...she was pretty good,but I lost 5 more pounds so now I'm down to 99 pounds...I am upset about that.I had a lot of blood workup done at the hospital today...yuck...my arm is bruised just from that.My blood pressure is still low(100...top number)...I went 6 months without a B12 shot and I'm a mess now...I did get a B12 shot in January,but I'm going to wait to see what mylevel is before I bet another B12....I am so tired of feeling like this...I also have been feeling some stress and I know the dr. could sense it....do you ever wonder if you'll ever get well and feel normal again?I do...almost all of the time.It really is not fun having a pity party for yourself 7 days a week....I want to get well and I'm sure you do to.

I hate tests and all medical stuff...I'd rather just stay in my bed then have all those tests,but what can I do..if I don't have tests done I will never know what is going on with my health.

Hey if that zinc gives you anxiety then don't mess with it....do you still take the methyl B12?Did you feel any relief from stress when you took the B12?Also I was thinking that maybe you have sinus problems...that could be the cause of your head pressure...I think it's mine too.I have bad sinuses...remember that "brain fog" I had that started in August last year...it lasted like 3 months..then I had a bad headache for 2 weeks straight and the brain fog lifted....that was amazing...and I was so thankful to feel like myself again.

I know a lot of my problems are from hormone fluctuations and men can have problems with their hormones also.My brother was very low in testosterone and the dr. said when it's that low you can't function right....he was surprised my brother could even walk...that's strange,isn't it?

Anyways sorry I took so long to get back to you...hope you are doing okay.

"see ya" soon

scout

scout316 03-04-2010 10:08 PM

Bill..the thread is titled>Anxiety or Intestinal Issue by >goingcrazy8

hope you read it....but it is a long one and you have to read it from start to finish to get it all

later.......scout:angel:

scout316 03-21-2010 08:04 PM

just an update....

went to see the new neurologist on March 8th.found out I have a Vitamin D deficiency now...my level was11.6(normal range 32-100).my B6 was good and my B12 was good(very good)at 605....amazing!

so I'm having an EEG test on thursday this week and a CT scan of my abdomen/pelvic area on friday....I can't stand tests,but I want to get well and hopefully these tests wll help the drs. dx me.

anyways that's my update for now....the head pressure isn't as bad now...neuro thinks it was from low blood pressure,but she also thinks I need to have a B12 shot every 2 weeks for 8 weeks...my new primary dr. said I don't need the shots...my old primary dr. wants me to have the shots,because the neuro ordered it...this is toooooo confusing for me........they all say something different....so who's right????

Scout

goingcrazy8 03-22-2010 11:01 AM

Hey Scout!

I hope that these tests reveal what is wrong with you. I also have vitamin D deficiency infact its one of only two things they have found wrong with me in my year + battle with all of this. I had a abdominal/pelvic CT and EEG as well. Both are easy tests, so don't stress. I hope your tests are more revealing than mine. I started a new thread today called undiagnosed on teh general health board for all of us still searching for answers. They closed my other thread : (

Let us know,

Goingcrazy8

scout316 03-22-2010 01:39 PM

Hello going crazy8!!!!

Well I feel honored to meet you!After reading your thread on the anxiety board it is so cool to meet you!So glad you responded to my thread here.:)

That is so strange that you are Vitamin D deficient also.Did the dr. put you on a Vitamin D supplement?All 3 of my drs. disagree on the treatment for it so right now I'm just getting outside in the sun for at least 15 minutes everyday...also I'm using the Shedd's spread with added vitamin D,butternut whole grain white bread with added vitamin D and eatting chicken(for the protein as my GP dr. told me I need).I do not want to lose anymore weight for sure.Also I'm eatting Nutrigrain cherry cereal bars for snacks.There are so many foods I just can't tolerate so it's a real chore finding stuff I csn eat.:(

Well I am just wondering if I have that celiac disease or h.pylori...I'm going to ask my dr. to do those blood tests to check.They say a D deficiency could be caused by those so I hope something shows up in tests.....I am really fed up with not getting anywhere with the drs.

So did you get your B12 level checked?If not you need to...B12 & D seem to be the ones that are deficient together.I'm wondering now if my good friend Bill(Benit) here is D deficient also...that's make 3 of us with all these symptoms having some things in common...I like that..it makes me feel like we can help each other.:)

I remember the night I started reading your posts...I stayed up reading it from start to finish....I was truly hoping the h.pylori being treated would be the thing that "cured" your symptoms....I felt badly for you when it didn't...but not to worry,because I have faith that we are going to get better...we have to!

If I recall crrectly you used to have a few drinks now and then and also Bill did too.I never drink...I'm serious...the last time I had alcohol I was 18 yrs.old and that is the truth.I was dx with hypoglycemia in 1975 so I quit caffeine and stayed away from that 'til this day.So I just mention the alcohol,because that is the thing we don't have in common.I think Bill isn't drinking anymore.

Back to the B12 issue....yeah low B12 presents with numerous neurological symptoms...you can be in the "low normal range" and still be a mess.Please get your B12 checked..."normal" is 200-1100,but you need to be above 400....my new neuro said once you are deficient you should never be below 500...I can't believe I finally found a dr. who knows something.

I also get that weird head feeling if I put pressure on my arms(like leaning on my desk),leaning back in a chair putting pressure on my back,standing in one position....I hate feeling like I'm so fragile that I could break....I'm wondering if it's the low vitamin D......and let me know if you're taking a D supplement or not....thanx so much~

I will definitely keep in touch with you...I'll post back on your thread and/or here.

Seriously I thank you so much

Scout:angel:

goingcrazy8 03-22-2010 01:58 PM

Hey Scout,

Thank you for the kind words. I can surely relate to your situation and frustration. I had my B12 checked and it was fine. I do take B vitamin supplements though.The vitamin D level was an 8.3. I have been taking 2000 iu of D and a calcium supplement as well. The calcium supplement is crucial in the absorption of D. I have found little success in taking the D vitamins in terms of how I feel. Hopefully it will be better for you though. We share a good deal of the same symptoms that is for sure and seems like we are on the same path with tests. My alcohol consumption is minimal anymore, but in my position I am often entertaining clients, so I will have drinks on occasion. I think you put it best when you used the term fragile, because that is exactly how I feel. I feel like I have aged more in the last year than I did the prior 30 years. Keep in touch and let me know how the Vitamin D goes.

GoingCrazy

Benit 03-22-2010 07:50 PM

Hi Scout,

As you all may know, I have the constant 24/7 head pressure, as well as about 10-20 other symptoms. I do not know about vitamin D deficiency, however I have been taking one daily 1000 IU capsule of Vitamin D3 for 1.5 years now--never noticed any difference from it, though.

About B12 deficiency, I thought my problem could be that for a while, and thats why I have been taking high doses of Methyl-B12 (sublingual) for 1.5 years, and that does help in some ways, but does not do [B]anything [/B]for the head pressure. The head pressure is my "killer" symptom, there's almost never one moment where I'm not bothered by it. The other symptoms suck as well, but they tend to change a bit over time, decreasing or increasing intensity at random.

Also Scout, I went to the doctor 1-2 months ago about a couple episodes of tachychardia, and he did prescribe bloodwork. I could post the results here if you have the time to provide any insight on that. But you are rarely here anymore so I'm thinking you're too busy for that.

scout316 03-22-2010 09:43 PM

hey Bill!

Not too busy to be here for you or anyone else...just had a lot going on and was feeling really down(worst ever for sure),but I'm back now. I don't want you to ever feel like nobody is here for you...I do care about you and a few others I've talked with here.It is not easy dealing with all these symptoms we have so we need to be here for each other.There are so many people on these boards who "disappear"and you never hear what happened to them...if they got dx or got better or worse....also you have to be careful on the information others put out...some is good and some is just plain weird.Reading too many posts can burn you out so to speak...better to stick to a smaller group then a larger one...too much information can make you start to feel like a hypochondriac.It's bad enough having a slew of sx without having a bunch of people throwing out their ideas of what you have.

Remember the person who thought everyone had lyme's?Yeah well she scared the heck out of many people and that was totally wrong.She might have meant well,but there were some people that were scared out of their skin because of what she posted.

So I don't get off track here I just want to say that I think it's great that you went to a dr.It is tough when you don't have insurance or decent insurance...mine isn't that good,but it will do...after my 500 deductible they pay 100%..so I say let the tests begin....

I'm curious to know why you take vitamin D?You know I read that it's actually a hormone....I want to find out more about it.

Well I'm having an EEG(brain wave test) on thursday...I haven't had one since 2006 and a CT scan abdomen/pelvic area on friday...I can't have the contrast dye...I'm allergic so at least these tests won't be too horrible.I still have to get copies of my blood workup from my primary dr.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the vitamin D thing has something to do with the head pressure...I was surprised when I saw that the dr. was ordering the vitamin D tests and B6...I guess my B6 was okay.

I want to talk more with you,but I'm like getting really tired...so I'll be back tomorrow.

Scout

Benit 03-23-2010 08:47 PM

Hi Scout,

Thanks for your response.

I've been taking Vitamin D because it seems like some health authorities are recommending a much higher RDA for it.. because it's a common deficiency.. and because I don't get much sun, typically. Also, it's been recommended by some folks using the B12 protocol, as one of many cofactors. Recently I quit the 1000 IU capsule and now I'm getting 400 IU from a combo A/D fish oil capsule. I was thinking maybe I'm getting too much D3 and that could be behind some recent symptoms, so we'll see if anything changes over time.

Here are my recent test results:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[B]Comprehensive Metabolic Panel w/EGFR[/B]

....................................In range...Out of range...Reference Range
Glucose..........................73..... .........................65-99 mg/dL
Urea Nitrogen (BUN).........13........................ .......7-25 mg/dL
Creatinine.......................0.88... .........................0.50-1.30 mg/dL
eGFR Non-Afr. American....>60......................... ....> OR = 60
eGFR African American......>60....................... ......> OR = 60
Bun/Creatinine Ratio.........N/A........................ ......6-22 (calc)
Sodium...........................141.... .........................135-146 mmol/L
Potassium.......................4.3..... .........................3.5-5.3 mmol/L
Chloride..........................103... ..........................98-110 mmol/L
Carbon dioxide.................30.............. .................21-33 mmol/L
Calcium.............................. .............10.3 H..........8.6-10.2 mg/dL
Protein, total...................7.1............. .................6.2-8.3 g/dL
Albumin..........................5.0.... ..........................3.6-5.1 g/dL
Globulin..........................2.1... ...........................2.1-3.7 g/dL (calc)
Albumin/Globulin ratio.......................2.4 H...........1.0-2.1 (calc)
Bilirubin, total..................1.1.............. ................0.2-1.2 mg/dL
Alkaline Phosphatase.........62.................. .............40-115 U/L
AST...............................28.... ...........................10-40 U/L
ALT...............................31.... ............................9-60 U/L

[B]Complete Blood Count (includes Diff/Plt)[/B]

....................................In range....Out of range....Reference range
White blood cell count......6.1.......................... ......3.8-10.8 Thousand/uL
Red blood cell count.........4.73...................... ........4.20-5.80 Million/uL
Hemoglobin.....................15.6..... .........................13.2-17.1 g/dL
Hematocrit.....................45.7..... ..........................38.5-50.0 %
MCV..............................96.6... ............................80.0-100.0 fL
MCH..............................32.9... ............................27.0-33.0 pg
MCHC............................34.0.... ...........................32.0-36.0 g/dL
RDW..............................12.5... ...........................11.0-15.0 %
Platelet count.................171............... ................140-400 Thousand/uL
Absolute neutrophils.........3294................ ..............1500-7800 cells/uL
Absolute lymphocytes.......2184.................. ............850-3900 cells/uL
Absolute monocytes.........433................... .............200-950 cells/uL
Absolute eosinophils.........165................. ...............15-500 cells/uL
Absolute basophils............24................. ................0-200 cells/uL
Neutrophils......................54.0... ...........................%
Lymphocytes...................35.8...... ........................%
Monocytes......................7.1...... ..........................%
Eosinophils......................2.7.... ............................%
Basophils........................0.4.... ............................%

[B]Thyroid Tests[/B]

TSH, 3rd Generation.........1.30................. ..............0.40-4.50 mIU/L
T4, Free…………………..........0.9.............……………………..0.8-1.8 ng/dL
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The doctor said the results were fine, or I assumed he did as the nurse called from the doctor's office to say the test "looked very good."

The "albumin/globulin ratio" was high, just like it was on my last test. However the high calcium level strikes me as odd. My last reading for that, 1.5 years ago, was within range at 9.8. So it climbed upwards a little. I wonder if it's "just the way it is" with me, or might be indicative of something? After all, I do have the constant 24/7 head pressure and those 10-20 other symptoms.

I should say I'm not working on all those symptoms with my doctor because I don't have the insurance to get extensive testing. I only go to the doctor if something seems too serious for me, like I did last time with tachychardia. You can't reasonably bring up all those symptoms in a 15 minute appointment, anyhow.

Lemme know,
Bill Z

scout316 03-26-2010 02:43 PM

hey Bill

wow looking at your lab results right now.....well your calcium yes is a bit high and I know that I had the same thing...I was shocked when I saw my cal.level....you need Vitamin D to absorb calcium(I think goingcrazy8 mentioned you need calcium to absorb the D...not sure that is correct...I'll check up on that later today)...I am almost positive calcium goes up when it isn't being absorbed......

there has to be a start and stop cut-off range for normal lab ranges and drs. (most of them at least)think you are fine if you're in that range....wrong,wrong,wrong.Seriously Bill the only dr. I think that can help you is an endocrinologist.Endo's look at labs in a more closer way....they do more sophisticated blood tests.The fact that you have borderline levels of albumin5.0(3.6-5.1),globulin2.1(2.1-3.7),calcium 10.3(8.6-10.2)seems like you are pre-something....I will research it and see what I can find out on that for you.Also your bilirubin at 1.1(0.2-1.2)is at the high end.The size of your red cells MCV96.6(80.0-100.0)is high end too....which is classic in anemic conditions(B12,etc.).

I know white counts can go up or down with infection...so I can't comment on your level for that one.Your red count is pretty good.Your potassium is real good(low potassium can cause tachycardia).Your protein is good too.Usually if your levels are right in the middle you're in good shape(that is what one dr. told me).When they are at low borderline or high end that is not good.

Be back later......Scout

Benit 03-26-2010 09:32 PM

Dear scout,

Thanks for your insight. I would be very interested to see what you could find on this. The other thing I still have, if it could help fill in some of the blanks, is this "foamy urine." I have been looking at the pattern of it. It does seem to be at its worst if I've been having lots of dehydrating fluids, such as coffee or other sweet beverages. However that is mostly speculation. The one constant is that it's worse than normal if I've been "holding in" the urge to urinate. I did read something about uric acid crystals forming if you hold in urine for a while long, and that's a possible cause of foamy urine.. but I'm not sure on that.

The strange thing about the high end MCV... in my last test in May of 2008 (the one you just saw was early Feb. 2010), my MCV was [B]91[/B]. At that time, I had never supplemented with active B12 (methylcobalamin.) Shortly after that test, knowing that some of my symptoms lined up with B12 deficiency and knowing that Methyl-B12 is safe, I have been taking 5,000mcg per day of Jarrow's methylcobalamin, as well as daily B-complex. So, that's the strangest thing... [B]why would my MCV increase dramatically, while following the protocol for B12 deficency?[/B]

lemme know,
Bill

scout316 03-27-2010 06:37 AM

Bill

did you have a urinalysis done in Feb.too?If your urine has an odor to it and seems frothy you could be spilling out protein,ketones,etc.I know whenever I had "episodes"where my health was having some kind of "flare-up"I would have tons of protein in my urine.The drs. back then always said that was fine....yeah and I found out way later it was not fine.

well I will reasearch those things for you today...I was really exhausted yesterday.I'll let you know what I find....have a good day

Scout