It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User
Constant annoying pressure, anyone ever solved it?

I've written many threads here and elsewhere dealing with the topic of constant head pressure. I have had constant head pressure (sides especially, often the back, but also sometimes the front above my eyes) for six years straight. I have had no testing beyond basic blood tests which found nothing. I cannot determine any likely cause. No insurance, no tests.

So there's been many posters offering up ideas through the years. Some ideas have been as serious as debilitating autoimmune conditions, malformations, and other unpleasant things. But to be honest I am done with such speculation, as it accomplishes nothing, for me at least. The point of this thread is twofold: to explore benign causes for the problem; secondly, to find anyone who has found relief from this symptom.

The next part of this post could be considered a "pity party" by some and therefore those who don't like complaining should not read it.

The essential problem for me is that this health problem has put my life on hold in several ways. Imagine this: six years of having your life on hold, at 28. Having lifelong ADD and mild learning issues to begin with, now I have had to contend with a health issue that causes problems concentrating, maintaining focus, processing information, because of the intense brain fog. The pressure CAUSES my brain fog, here's how I know: anytime my pressure is reduced or even absent (typically only 15-30 minutes of such relief in any given day), my concentrative abilities come back.

I'm so sick of the complexity of this problem, and the inability to make any progress with it, at all. SO sick of it, I would tear down walls with my bare hands if such a thing could be socially admissible. I don't even enjoy doing anything anymore because of it.

Now all i get when I tell people this stuff is to deal with it, grow up, or that I just complain too much. But it was not my choice to have ADD, not my choice to have learning issues, not my choice to have this mystery health problem. Is it complaining, or just my reality. Is it a coward's way out to say "my life is on hold" due to some health problem no one can detect but me. We can also explore these issues here, if you like, but only in a respectful way.

So, to start things off, has anyone had head pressure and found relief?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User
Re: Constant annoying pressure, anyone ever solved it?

I'm sure someone has some insight...

Old 04-25-2010, 04:46 AM   #3
(female)

gjoy HB Usergjoy HB User

Hi Benit,

I do not have the magic fix as I have a similar problem myself. Unfortunately all the fixed people are out there having a life not looking for answers like you and I. Six years must be really tough without answers.

I do have a suggestion for what it is worth. I have been reading a book on gluten sensitivity which says there is a link to learning problems and ADD. There is also a chapter on brain disorders and gluten. It says many common brain diseases are known to be associated with gluten sensitivity, including chronic neurological conditions of unknown cause. Maybe it would be worth avoiding gluten products and see if you have any improvement. I have been off gluten for 6 months and am sure it is helping my general health, however not the head pressure. What doesn't work for me, might work for you though.

Good luck,

Gjoy

Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
(male)

570ryanc HB User

Hi benit i'm 17 years old and i have ADD also i'm not sure if its a genetic disorder as my mum is quite distruptive from time to time and immature, tho ive just left school last year and my GCSE exam results only went well on the subjects i was actually interested in on which i didnt loose concentration on to the point of failing these were science and art, tho on the other hand i faild maths and english, buisiness studies and ict. Also i see you have mentiond back of skull pressure, im not to sure if i have been making a bad misteak on resting my head on the back of a steel bar headboard sligtly when im in bed watching tv or on the computer but when i sit up after a while of sitting with my head on the back of the headboard my brain icn't put it to prespective really but my bain slowers in a sence and i guesse you could say foggy its rather hard for me to explain but im unsure if its pressure on the back of my skull and could the back of the skull be very sencitive towards this and is easily effected when this occours as could the brain be effected or damaged by this simple process please somone provide me with an aswer to my on going experience. thanks.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

scout316 HB Userscout316 HB User

dear benit

I have come across a possible answer to your constant head pressure.here it is my friend:

First of all I am not a dr. or any other type of health professional...I just wanted to make that point clear to you and anyone else who comes across this post.Thank you.

Okay...a very likely cause of your chronic head presure could be an inflammation of the blood vessels in your head.This is a diagnosis a neurologist has given someone else with the same symptoms as you have stated you are having and mainly the head pressure for 6 years.This inflammation takes a long time to resolve,but it will resolve with proper medications that a dr. has to prescribe(preferably a neurologist,but I'm sure an educated family practice dr. could possibly know which medications to prescribe).

Inflammation of the blood vessels in your head is not life threatening and not a frightening health diagnosis my friend.It is something that can be treated.The patient who had the constant head pressure for years did get much needed relief from the medications the neurologist prescribed.The head pressure started easing up more and more 'til the patient was finally free of it.

It didn't say which test/s showed the inflamed blood vessels.The neurologist was 100% accurate with the dx of that patient.

I'm hoping you don't take this information lightly,but instead use it to get the help you need.Don't think buying OTC motrin or any other self help medicine is going to do the trick.You need to get a dr. to listen to you and maybe do a trial of medications to see if your head pressure is stemming from inflammation.I would give it some serious thought.

As far as the sinus theory goes...you said you don't really have any sinus issues like a stuffy or runny nose or any congestion so the fact that your teeth hurt sometimes too could just be secondary to the head pressure.

Scout

Last edited by scout316; 04-25-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Old 04-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 570ryanc View Post
Hi benit i'm 17 years old and i have ADD also i'm not sure if its a genetic disorder as my mum is quite distruptive from time to time and immature, tho ive just left school last year and my GCSE exam results only went well on the subjects i was actually interested in on which i didnt loose concentration on to the point of failing these were science and art, tho on the other hand i faild maths and english, buisiness studies and ict. Also i see you have mentiond back of skull pressure, im not to sure if i have been making a bad misteak on resting my head on the back of a steel bar headboard sligtly when im in bed watching tv or on the computer but when i sit up after a while of sitting with my head on the back of the headboard my brain icn't put it to prespective really but my bain slowers in a sence and i guesse you could say foggy its rather hard for me to explain but im unsure if its pressure on the back of my skull and could the back of the skull be very sencitive towards this and is easily effected when this occours as could the brain be effected or damaged by this simple process please somone provide me with an aswer to my on going experience. thanks.
It's a bit off-topic, but I was just thinking of this tonight. I was reading about someone who got a triple major at one the better colleges in the US. Having ADD for my entire life, plus additional learning problems (dyslexic-like symptoms: I have extremely poor grip of spatial awareness and trouble with left-and-right sometimes), I have never even had a chance to use the intelligence I may actually have buried in there somewhere.

Having ADD with dyslexic-type problems makes it so that you can only see what you have available cognitively, but can rarely actually use it. As a result sometimes I struggle to even appear as someone with adequate intelligence: there have been many times in my life when the questions I've asked or the comments I've made have made people wonder, including myself.

Of course, all these problems have been made worse by the head pressure, which I guess makes it on-topic in a way. For me at least, the constant pressure *is* disabling--so, perhaps someone significantly more intelligent or accomplished would be able to deal with it? But I cannot... and I can't make people understand that.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout316 View Post
Okay...a very likely cause of your chronic head presure could be an inflammation of the blood vessels in your head.This is a diagnosis a neurologist has given someone else with the same symptoms as you have stated you are having and mainly the head pressure for 6 years.This inflammation takes a long time to resolve,but it will resolve with proper medications that a dr. has to prescribe(preferably a neurologist,but I'm sure an educated family practice dr. could possibly know which medications to prescribe).

Inflammation of the blood vessels in your head is not life threatening and not a frightening health diagnosis my friend.It is something that can be treated.The patient who had the constant head pressure for years did get much needed relief from the medications the neurologist prescribed.The head pressure started easing up more and more 'til the patient was finally free of it.

It didn't say which test/s showed the inflamed blood vessels.The neurologist was 100% accurate with the dx of that patient.

I'm hoping you don't take this information lightly,but instead use it to get the help you need.Don't think buying OTC motrin or any other self help medicine is going to do the trick.You need to get a dr. to listen to you and maybe do a trial of medications to see if your head pressure is stemming from inflammation.I would give it some serious thought.
I really appreciate this, scout. Yes this was another idea I've seen mentioned from time to time. Just curious, though, is this patient someone you know in real life, or someone you corresponded with online?

I wonder if one of the tests used to diagnose this person's inflamed blood vessels was a SED Rate test. The first time I went in to the doctor with head pressure, well the first thing he thought was maybe it's my sinuses, and then gave me Afrin nasal spray for that. The second thing was he prescribed a SED rate test, which turned out normal. I have looked at the things that abnormal SED rate can diagnose, chief among them was Giant Cell Arteritis, or inflamed blood vessels in the head...

Quote:
As far as the sinus theory goes...you said you don't really have any sinus issues like a stuffy or runny nose or any congestion so the fact that your teeth hurt sometimes too could just be secondary to the head pressure.
Just in case maybe it is my sinuses, though, I think I'm going to try a three-day trial of Afrin nasal spray... more than three days and you can get rebound congestion. I've never used it three days in a row before, just here and there when the pressure got really bad. It did cause drainage but no relief that I remember.

I don't want to waste time any more, I really *want* to test the sinus theory to the extent that I can be convinced whether it plays a role, or not. Maybe the next time I see the doc we could try antibiotics, or maybe I'll try some at-home remedies for nasal irrigation.

Last edited by Benit; 04-26-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I so agree with you on first trying to see if the head pressure is related to the sinuses.The sinuses can be inflamed just as blood vessels can be.

The person who was relieved of their head pressure was someone online I came across on an old thread on a different site.Last night I stayed up for a long time reading that thread and it got off track with people just posting about migraines and so many other things.So there wasn't anything else from the original poster.After researching more I found that an MRI can show inflamed blood vessels in the head.What I was curious about was which medications that dr. prescribed for her.I bet it was steroids and or anti-inflammation meds...maybe anti-biotics also.Do you think Biaxin would help you?I know the head pressure I had at that time was the worst.

What I did come across also was a thread where the posters talked about how "light exercise" would relieve their head pressure,but not for long...that is just like you said it is for you.Most of them agreed that the head pressure just happened suddenly and then stayed with them.

I was so happy to read that your dr. at least did some tests related to your head pressure.

Hope the nasal spray helps you out and if it does that's a step to finding out the root of your health problems.Hey I just remembered something....I read this a very long time ago...it was about how some people who get chronic headaches have to have anti-biotics(low doses) every so often,because they seem to run mild infections...I wonder if you fit in that category...interesting I think and worth considering.

Scout

Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

The only thing I have to offer today is to say i'm tired of being stuck, going nowhere, because of this thing...

Old 04-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Bill

Oh I think you have just as much intelligence as the next person....you are just going through a difficult health situation.Sometimes when we spend so much time on looking for answers to our medical concerns we get overwhelmed and start to analyze ourselves way too much(I am guilty of that myself....).

Also even if we don't want to acknowledge it we tend to run on a constant,low anxiety level,because of our health issues.I think this board helps a lot,because talking about our health concerns gives us somewhat of an outlet...to be able to talk to people who hopefully won't judge us and be critical of us....just to listen & offer help even if it's just emotional strength.

So you need not be so critical of yourself Bill...you have a vast amount of knowledge and you are a great help to others...

I'm kind of feeling down today(think I had some fluid retention,but it's resolved now...ugh...a bad day,but a better evening for me and I am thankful for that.

Hope youh have a good night~talk again soon~

Scout

Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Hi Bill

Oh I think you have just as much intelligence as the next person....you are just going through a difficult health situation.Sometimes when we spend so much time on looking for answers to our medical concerns we get overwhelmed and start to analyze ourselves way too much(I am guilty of that myself....).

Also even if we don't want to acknowledge it we tend to run on a constant,low anxiety level,because of our health issues.I think this board helps a lot,because talking about our health concerns gives us somewhat of an outlet...to be able to talk to people who hopefully won't judge us and be critical of us....just to listen & offer help even if it's just emotional strength.

So you need not be so critical of yourself Bill...you have a vast amount of knowledge and you are a great help to others...

I'm kind of feeling down today(think I had some fluid retention,but it's resolved now...ugh...a bad day,but a better evening for me and I am thankful for that.

Hope youh have a good night~talk again soon~

Scout
I can always rely on you for some kind words Scout... hope you feel better yourself.

I've been doing some thinking on another theory, similar to your most recent idea (inflamed blood vessels).. basically the idea is that for some reason, my blood vessels react in a very exaggerated way to any increases in blood pressure. This would seem to not make sense given that I've always had low-normal blood pressure, but, I saw someone elsewhere on the Net say that they had the constant head pressure and low blood pressure like me... and yet, blood pressure drugs relieved their problem!

Some further support for my theory:

It was strong stimulant drugs that set off my head pressure to begin with (I haven't used those in years, of course.) But nowadays, anytime I have a concentrated amount of caffeine, say a strong double espresso, the pressure gets really bad. On the flip side, eating and exercise can relieve my pressure for a short period of time.. I've always wondered why.. now I think it could be that when you eat, blood flows away from the head and toward the stomach, theoretically reducing blood pressure in my head. I don't know what effect exercise has, exactly, but I've often heard it can reduce blood pressure.

The theory is not perfect and obviously I have a lot of research to do yet, but I think there might be something to it. Now I'm wondering if there's any herbs or supplements that can safely reduce blood pressure, just to test the idea. Interestingly, last time I saw my psychiatrist, he recommended trying Intuniv, which has the double effect of treating ADD and also lowering blood pressure. He said it could conceivably relieve my head pressure.

Right now I'm just wondering what, apart from exercise, I can try on my own to test the idea...

Old 04-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #12
(female)

BarbieLynn HB User

I have experienced this. It is muscle tension that usually starts in my shoulders, up my neck, up my head. Sometimes it is so intense it feels like my head is gonna pop off. If you can't get medications do to lack of insurance and funds, try stretching exercises (find them on the internet), try yoga, muscles rub creams, and massage. Of course this is temporary until you find the source of your tension....stress, physical exurtion, and in my case, fibromyalgia.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #13
(female)

gjoy HB Usergjoy HB User
Smile Re: Constant annoying pressure, anyone ever solved it?

Hi Benit,
I was reading about lowering your blood pressure with slow breathing. They said 15 minutes a few times a week will help. They suggest listening to soothing music to do it. It makes sense as when your heart races you breathe faster, so if you breath more slowly it should have the opposite effect.
Worth a try.
Gjoy

Last edited by gjoy; 04-29-2010 at 04:20 AM.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:59 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bill

Very interesting what you came up with....okay what I'm thinking is you could try different foods tht naturally lower your blood pressure...what do you think?I'm not sure,but I think garlic is one of them...I'll see what info I can dig up on this.

Great job my friend...you get an A and I think you're really on track with this newest lead to the constant head pressure....also I read that crossing your legs while you're sitting reduces your BP(weird,huh?)....be back later~

Scout

Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbieLynn View Post
I have experienced this. It is muscle tension that usually starts in my shoulders, up my neck, up my head. Sometimes it is so intense it feels like my head is gonna pop off. If you can't get medications do to lack of insurance and funds, try stretching exercises (find them on the internet), try yoga, muscles rub creams, and massage. Of course this is temporary until you find the source of your tension....stress, physical exurtion, and in my case, fibromyalgia.
Thanks for your reply BarbieLynn. That's interesting fibromyalgia caused tension headaches for you. I've looked at that disorder and it seems the vast majority of the time it seems to cause physical pain, which doesn't seem to fit in my case. Mine is just pressure that annoys the heck out of me.

Closed Thread