It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
(male)

gaten HB User
i dont know can any one help

so over the past year or so i have noticed that my moods change quick....i get bursts of what seems to be unlimited energy and then some times i just get so sad and somewhat depressed and i hit my self and i have recently started to cut...im really scared when my anger just spikes out of control. I get so enraged over small things.....and i throw and break things and sometimes i find myself doing stuff i normally wouldnt do....im usually funny and fun to be around and i love to joke but sometimes i get out of control and i dont know why can someone please help i took many quizes on random health sites and most of them say that i am considered to have bipolar 1 but i would like to know from somebody else how do i seek help and how do i get diagnosed. thanks any feedback will be greatly appreciated

Last edited by gaten; 11-03-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User
Re: i dont know can any one help

Hi, I read up on it extensively before because I have a friend who may be bipolar also. You can call and make an appointment with a psychiatrist, and let him or her know what you said here. This type of doc can diagnose and treat you if this is what it is. The treatment is meds and counseling. I hope you can get the help you are looking for and be happy and calm like you want to be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User

Any competent psychiatrist should be able to diagnose and treat your condition, which does indeed sound like manic-depressive bipolar disorder. Newer medications developed over the past 5 years have made huge improvements in the quality of life for manic-depressives, so please see a psychiatrist to get help.

If you have a family doctor or other physician you see for regular check-ups, annual physicals, routine care, or other conditions, he/she should be able to refer you to a competent psychiatrist. If you have private insurance, you may need to precertify for treatment. This is a common requirement for mental health care, so look into it before you make an appointment to see a psychiatrist.

Best of luck, and let us know how you are progressing.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaten View Post
so over the past year or so i have noticed that my moods change quick....i get bursts of what seems to be unlimited energy and then some times i just get so sad and somewhat depressed and i hit my self and i have recently started to cut...im really scared when my anger just spikes out of control. I get so enraged over small things.....and i throw and break things and sometimes i find myself doing stuff i normally wouldnt do....im usually funny and fun to be around and i love to joke but sometimes i get out of control and i dont know why can someone please help i took many quizes on random health sites and most of them say that i am considered to have bipolar 1 but i would like to know from somebody else how do i seek help and how do i get diagnosed. thanks any feedback will be greatly appreciated

Old 11-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
(male)

gaten HB User

hey thank you for your post.....but see i want to be diagnosed but i dont want my parents to know about it.......im not askin for treatment or medication just to be diagnosed...do you think that this is "stupid" that i dont want my parents to know.....my mood swings are worse...my girlfriend was tickling me and for some reason i grabbed her hand and just became overcome with this rage and i wanted to hurt her.....and it really scared me but i stopped b4 i did but i just cant control tht random rage and it is happening more frequently is there like an online physicatrist i could talk to or is that idea kind of stupid to lol....if you answer it would be appreciated...and i thank you for answering my first one

Old 11-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

I don't know of any online psychiatrists. It sounds like you have uncontrollable rage and the only way to get the right help is to see one in person to be diagnosed. Could you tell somebody else, like the school counselor? This is what they are there for, to help you, counsel you, and listen, and you could go from there. The counselor may refer you, and tell your parents for you. You could either tell the counselor the problem, or just that you want to see a psychiatrist, about something that is private but it has been bothering you for some time and you need to get in now. School counselors deal with this daily and would not judge you, and at the same time, help with telling your parents. Since it is getting worse, and you see it yourself and want help, this is what I would suggest, because it may very well progress and I know you would much rather get help and get it under controll than to hurt yourself, or somebody else, and have your parents find out after the fact. If you don't want to talk to the counselor in person, you could call him or her up and ask to talk on the phone or be referred to somebody. I hope you go through with getting help very soon, please do what you can. There is help out there for this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kasey443 For This Useful Post:
gaten (11-16-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User

I'm a little concerned that you don't want your parents to know. As a parent of two teenagers, I would certainly want to help them with ANY problem. I realize not all parents and their kids have good relationships, so I'm not going to pre-judge you. Do reconsider seeking their help. Do you have any aunts, uncles, or adult cousins you could confide in? Think about it, okay?

There are many online resources you can use. Use Google or your favorite search engine to search for "free online psychiatric advice" or "ask a doctor" to get you started. Understand that no doctor will really be able to diagnose you online, but you should be able to get good advice.

If you're in the United States, you ought to be able to find free mental health clinincs by searching for "free mental health Alaska" (for example; replace "Alaska" with your state's name." If you live in or near a big city like Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, etc. there's probably a free clinic close to you.

If you're in school, your counselor or school nurse should be able to locate free resources for you. They MUST respect your privacy if you tell them that you don't want your parents to know. If you're not in school, any local church, synagogue, temple, or other house of worship will probably also be able to help you while respecting your privacy.

I am concerned about you and your girl friend, so please do get help. What you've described is not as rare as you might expect, and you can almost certainly get effective treatment. PLEASE don't wait until you can't control yourself and end up hurting yourself or someone else. I know it's scary not feeling in complete control of yourself, but help is available.

As a last resort, you can walk into any community hospital and ask them to refer you to free resources. They may not be as willing to help if you tell them you don't want your parents to know, because your parents are probably the ones the hospital would want to have pay for helping you.

Finally, if you're afraid of treatment or medications, it might help you to know that a lot of improvements have been made in the past ten years to improve the quality of treatment for mental illness. There's less of a stigma attached to mental illness than there used to be, and the newer drugs have far fewer (and more managable) side effects than earlier drugs. There's likely to be something that can help you without making you feel like a zombie.

It's encouraging that you want to get a diagnosis, and it's obvious you don't want to hurt your girlfriend, so please seek treatment. It doesn't necessarily have to be a hassle, and you may not need medications forever - if at all. Just try to get help no matter what it takes.

Jeff

Quote:
hey thank you for your post.....but see i want to be diagnosed but i dont want my parents to know about it.......im not askin for treatment or medication just to be diagnosed...do you think that this is "stupid" that i dont want my parents to know.....my mood swings are worse...my girlfriend was tickling me and for some reason i grabbed her hand and just became overcome with this rage and i wanted to hurt her.....and it really scared me but i stopped b4 i did but i just cant control tht random rage and it is happening more frequently is there like an online physicatrist i could talk to or is that idea kind of stupid to lol....if you answer it would be appreciated...and i thank you for answering my first one

Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
(male)

gaten HB User

hey thank you again for answering me...ive thought about talking to my school counselor but i dont want anybody to see me different....but im realizing that the more i keep things in the worse it gets.... i really want help to kno if this is just in my head or not...thank you for posting and i will let u know what is happenning

Old 11-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
(male)

Your concern about being seen as "different" is very common - and a very healthy indicator that you are aware of yourself, your surroundings, and the fact that something just doesn't seem right. If it is of any help, a lot of people experiencing the types of things that you are. Since I don't know you or your history, I wouldn't even dream of guessing whether what you're feeling is caused by a chemical imbalance, a physical problem (like a tumor or other problem in your brain,) or a psychological problem related to life stresses or experiences. Whatever the cause, please realize that you are not alone, you are not a "freak." Your school counselor is probably the best place for you to start, and if you request that the issue be kept confidential, your counselor is required to do so. If anyone sees you go in or out of the counselor's office, simply tell them that you wanted to get advice about your future career prospects. It's stretching the truth a bit, but your career will certain depend on you taking care of your physical and mental health. The right answer WOULD be to tell others that it's just a private matter, but I know that classmates can be cruel, and they have a hard time respecting the privacy of others (not that adults are necessarily any better!) I may be 50 years old, but I remember my school experiences very well (and not all are fond memories.)

You are doing the right thing by seeking help. Do consider talking to your parents or a trusted family member. I know parents don't always understand how some issues must be handled with he utmost sensitivity, but most of us do try to do what is best for our kids. But even if you can't find a family member to confide in, talk to a counselor or public health official. There IS help available for you.

Quote:
hey thank you again for answering me...ive thought about talking to my school counselor but i dont want anybody to see me different....but im realizing that the more i keep things in the worse it gets.... i really want help to kno if this is just in my head or not...thank you for posting and i will let u know what is happenning

Closed Thread