It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
(female)

bodama HB User
Exclamation Fast forward sensation

Hey guys! My dad found this thread and I just registered to share my story.

P.s I'm not going to get into how if feels because all you guys hit it on the nail. The fast forward sensation where every thing is going fast, I hear things faster, I do things faster.....

So I had to sensation last night. I fell asleep on the couch watching TV after I painted my nails and I woke up at 3 am to get up and go to bed. I couldnt find the remote to shut the TV off and finally I found it and the fast fwrd began. I tried to walk around and "walk it off" so to speak. But I start pacing and the sensation wasn't going anywhere. I usually run upstairs and wake my parents up and make them talk to me because other people talking usually takes the sensation away. Last night it lasted for a while longer than I expected. I talked to my parents and it remained. It produces a lot of anxiety and I get really really hot. Finally I calmed down and the sensation went away.

So I noticed that

• these always happen at night for me (because I always proceed to wake up who ever is sleeping)
  • They feel like they last forever but its only minutes
  • It always happens in the dark
  • I always hear a ringing or tinnitis
  • I feel weak and shakey after the sensation is over

I went to the emergency room once as well. But by the time I got there it was over and I was "normal". The nurses were more worried if I had suicidal thoughts. Which I do not.

I had CT scans, brain wave scans etc. They all showed to be normal because theres nothing physically wrong with my brain. My parents and I started calling them seizures but I am fully aware of my surroundings, I am conscious and I do not convulse.

I've had just under 10 fast forward moments starting from when I was around 15 years old. I'm 20 now, and I just had one last night.

I thought it was an obsession/anxiety issue because I always remember a thought in my head that I say over and over and then it begins to feel like I'm saying it faster and faster because of the sensation. But if I had anxiety issues I would be dealing with them every day, and I don't.

Lastly (if it counts for anything) I've had multiple ear infections growing up and have had tubes multiple times. When I was around 16 I had a tympanotomy. To this day I feel fluctuations of my ear drum and the pressures that surround it constantly. And I may still have hearing deficits.

I always feel like I'm losing my mind when it happens! And I always make sure to find some one to talk to that moment to calm me down because I get really anxious and freak out. I feel if I don't find some one, it wil never stop. So thats my method of making it stop (if it even does anything)

I was wondering if any of you guys have tips on making it stop?

Yay!! I'm so glad my dad found this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

michellemenace HB User
Re: Fast forward sensation

I'm happy i found this site. It makes me feel normal again and not so "crazy" I've been dealing with this since i was a kid and it's been happening so much lately that it's driving me nuts! I had a concussion when i was 6 from falling off my bike and hitting my head on a tree stump. I've had migraines ever since. I get "auras" before the migraines and lose my vision and hearing. My ears ring soo loud that i can't hear ANYTHING else but the ringing. Parts of my body go numb , face, arms, legs etc. Anyway, I'm convinced this fast forward feeling has something to do with my migraines/the concussion i had when i was little. I recently had ANOTHER concussion about 4 months ago and i think thats why i'm having this feeling more than usual. Anyway, again i'm really happy to know i'm not the only one dealing with this, but i'm sorry you have to deal with it as well it's scary. But you know.. as much as i'm scared of it- i'm interested in it. I really want to know what exactly is happening and why etc. Have you had a concussion before? I also have dercums disease, fibromyalgia, arthritis, chronic back pain, ADHD and ADD. Not so fun...

Take care. Hope to talk to you soon

-Michelle

Old 10-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
(female)

bodama HB User

I've actually never had a concussion before, I haven't even had a migraine before!
But ya I was super happy too when I found this website

Old 10-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

michellemenace HB User

Well I don't know.. i wish i knew what causes it!

Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User

Hi there my former Oklahoman friend. I just moved from OKC and i use to live in Owasso and tulsa before also. I think you should go have a MRI of your head and go from there and also have them check your spinal fluids level if they can. I hope my suggestions help,take care.....

Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
(female)

bodama HB User

Already had that done...

Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
(male)

RANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB UserRANDOL HB User

Sorry my bad lol

Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
(female)

Meg490 HB User

Well it's 2am here in Australia and after just having one of these "Fast Forward" episodes, I decided to Google the symptoms - which has lead me here.
You have no idea how relived I am to read that other people suffer from this too.
And I do believe suffer is the right word, Feels like Im going mad. When I try to explain the symptoms to people they just cant understand it.

I have recently had a Migraine, lasting for 2 days which only today did I have relief from - perhaps Migraine and the Fast Forward are connected ????
Although I don't get it every time I get a migraine.

My 10 year old niece has been diagnosed as Epileptic, perhaps there is some link??

I would be very keen to hear from anyone that has any information that may help.

In the mean time Take care

Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
(female)

kat4960 HB User

I'm so glad that I found this post. I've been dealing with this "fast forward sensation" since I was around 6 or 7, and I'm now 21. The description that everyone has put already describes it perfectly, and it has made me feel like I'm not completely crazy.
The biggest things that I've noticed about my episodes are that it happens usually when I'm really tired, and that it feels like I'm on some sort of a drug. I've never really thought anything about it, but to just deal with it. I have also had aura type issues when I was younger, but not since I was around five. I don't think that it is dangerous unless it happens when I'm driving (and it really sucks when I'm taking a test), because like I said, it feels like I'm on some type of drug.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
(male)

Spooker HB User

For many years i have been searching for this sensation of fast forward and could never find anything. Tonight i couldn't belive my eyes when this came up. Iím over the moon to find so many people on this forum with the same symptoms. During the age of 6-12 i suffered the same and no one could understand me even my mum and dad so I did even bother trying with a doctor.
The thing is i was not poorly with it and it only lasted between 5-10 minutes but it would come at night or when i was quiet. After the age of 12 or so it just disappeared and never came back.
Years had passed and it became a distance memory then one night i was woken up by my first child and she was so upset and was complaining that things was going fast and me and my wife were talking fast. This happened over a period of 6 years but touch wood she has not had it for 3 years and she will be turning 10 soon. Our second child who is 7 also had these symptoms for few years but her are more intense and very upsetting for her. At this present time she has a fever and she experiancing fast forward again but she call it "The Fasting". Also she has the feeling of things becoming big and small. I didnít have this nor did my first child.
The high temperature could have brought this on but it could have been that she was quiet in a darkened room. I have reassure her that its nothing to worry about and not to be scare of it . I did find out that my wife mother and sister also suffered the fasting when they were young but they hardly talk about it.
I take off my hat to the first person to start this thread its just a shame there is no real answer to this problem.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
(female)

kat4960 HB User

I think this might help everyone:

http://www.aiws.info/symptoms

It's not a professional site, but it was made by a person who had the same effects happen to them, and wanted to write about it.

It's pretty interesting and it touches on the "fast forward sensation"

Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
(male)

Gensai HB User

Hi all, I can remember the very first time that I had this experience. I was five or six and at the time had a fever. During a fevered dream I remember being chased by a big steel ball in what was like Maurits Cornelis Escher staircase and having that sensation happing at the same time.

Since that day now almost 20yrs latter I have had an episode almost every month if not multiple times a month. Form what I read that is not common for this. I have also notice that it happens more often when I am reading or have been reading for an hour or so.

Like you guys said when it starts it feels as if I am sinking into myself and time then starts to speed up till it reaches a crescendo it then can last anywhere from a minute to 20 minutes (being my longest that I have suffered from).
Tho I do not get the ears ringing like some of you stated. Sound and movement are sped up and even tho I know that I am not moving or talking faster the sensation, visual and audio all say that I am.

I just had it happen twice last night one lasting for about 13mins and the other only 3 or 4 mins.

Last edited by Gensai; 01-26-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
(female)

kbbb HB User

I have this too. Never knew what it was until today by finding threads online! I was prompted by a friend who knew about Alice in Wonderland Syndrome. Anyway, it started as a kid (I'm 33 now). For my first one I remember I had a fever, so I called them fever dreams. I just had one the other day, it was the first time in a while. I get mine at all times, in the shower, the water sounds very loud and beats down very fast. This most recent one was after dinner in the kitchen, standing up. The thing that I find works best for me is to purposely SLOOOOW everything I am doing down. This seems to bring me out of it quickly. It passes very fast and I just go about my day.

I also have a slight ringing in my ears, I just thought that was normal, or from listening to loud music so much? (bands, clubs etc). I had my hearing tested and it excellent, so I never understood that, maybe it is tied in like people say...

Good luck, you are going to be ok

Old 03-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
(female)

kbbb HB User

You know what else...I am just thinking about some other things I have read. People have touched on anxiety, obsession, bad relationships...I've been going through all of that recently. I do tend to obsess. I also noticed that someone wrote that it happens when they feel really tired. I'm feeling very tired right now and as I was hanging up some laundry I felt the sensation coming on. I feel that quite often, like it's just on the fringe but I can stave it off by just going a little slower than how fast it feels it wants to go. I almost gave in to it to feel the full sensation but I didn't want to go there so I wouldn't let it.

It's so interesting that other people have this too, and that maybe it's tied in to other things I experience! I just always ignored it because I had a CT scan when I was young, which of course showed nothing. So many people have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention it so I just leave it alone.

I'm glad I've found others! I'll be researching this more for sure. Thanks all

Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
(male)

jumpinanjivin HB User

It seems I have this too. I remember as a child I would wake up having the strangest sensations in my hands - I didnt really have the fast forward thing, but strange awake-nightmares. I felt like I was going crazy.

Yesterday I was very tired and didnt get much sleep the night before, and went to bed super tired. I have bad anxiety/panic D/O - I woke up at 6 am and tried to turn on the tv because I felt weird. I thought my TV was broken. Everyone was moving perfectly as if in fast forward. Then I noticed it was in real life, even my own movements. Very scary. I cant let go of feelings like that, so its been lingering in my head today as well.

I have been on a double dose of antibiotics this past week for bad sinus infection. Also I have super dry eyes out of the blue. Ears have fluid. Very strange indeed. I hope I dont have to go through that again as I cant handle that!

:/

Closed Thread