HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Brain & Nervous System Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/brain-nervous-system-disorders/)
-   -   Disconnected feeling in the head (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/brain-nervous-system-disorders/833773-disconnected-feeling-head.html)

amber00222 01-31-2011 07:56 PM

Disconnected feeling in the head

I am a 20 years old and for the past 4 months have been experiencing this constant feeling that I (in my head) am disconnected from the rest of my body. It's as if my "self awareness/self perception" has been altered in an very abnormal way that leaves me feeling disconnected from my own body. I just don't feel like the normal "me" in my head and it is very saddening, discouraging, and frustrating that it doesn't go away.

I also have been experience impairment in short term memory and also it is more difficult to focus than what it used to be. I am currently in college and school work has become much more difficult with this "disconnected feeling". The feeling tends to be worse if I am tired. This has totally interfered with my daily life because I am persistently stuck with this altered mind state.

I have been to many doctor's and they have found nothing abnormal in any tests, scans, or examinations. It is extremely frustrating because the feeling I have is so strange that it makes it impossible for someone (including doctors) to fully understand unless they have experience the feeling themselves. It is so hard to express the disconnected feeling to doctor's because it is such a strange feeling which leaves me feeling like no one will be able to help me because the medical world doesn't fully understand what it is. (A lot of the doctor's I have been to just tell me it's anxiety and want to put me on meds but i'm not sure that is such a good idea anymore.)

I was on lorazepam for 2 weeks in October, and I kind of think it could be related to the disconnected feeling by screwing up my neurotransmitters or something. Does anyone know if lorazepam could cause something like this? And has anyone had any luck with getting rid of "disconnected feeling"? And if so how?

I am willing to try anything at this point to just feel back to normal. I just want to get rid of this thing :(

bluell 05-17-2012 12:22 PM

Re: Disconnected feeling in the head

Hi amber00222,

I just saw your post and was wondering if you're still having this disconnected feeling, and if not, how did it go away? Do you know what the cause is? What I've been feeling is exactly as you described. It's not a feeling you can ignore.

piratesforever 12-21-2012 08:49 PM

Hello, I hope you are doing well and have found answers. For the past three months I've been feeling the exact same way, and the worst part is trying to explain it to someone. I have had everything you described plus a bunch of other odd neuro symptoms. I feel disconnected from my body and from the world around me, and it seems as though everything in my vision is dimmer than it used to be. I don't feel certain sensations to their fullest, like being tired or feeling cold. My sense of taste and smell seem dulled too and I feel like I don't care for anything, though I really want to care. I feel like my body is just empty. I've had all sorts of testing, which has come back normal so far, and I'm really frustrated to know end. I just want my old life back and I sound like someone on drugs, but I don't do them at all. I'm really scared Ill be like this for the rest of my life. Thank you for sharing your experience, I feel a little better knowing I'm not alone.

bossent 01-26-2013 06:34 PM

s its very strange and unheard of I dunno how it occured and why this happened it slowly started 3.5yrs ago when i was put on clonazepam started with dizzy spells,stopped takng it last yr nothing improved kept going back to drs n hospital nothing was resolved was then put on zyprexa as it was assumed to be all in my head as i assumed nothing improved symptoms started Oct 10th this started with eyesight going surreal then started feeling disconnected from myself and surroundings around me not just emotionally but as a whole,tingling on top centre of head continously and sense of perception n reality continously getting worse, feels as though i have no connection as a whole,when I touch and feel things it doesn't seem to register as a sense with brain,have ringing/buzzing inside ears from time to time,strangest part I've lost circulating thought, loss of feelings,emotions its a mystery to the drs ive been to so far If you could maybe help or know someone who could that would be great,ive tried alternative practioner routes shaman,distant healing as well.seems the more my scalp tingles the more permanantly out of touch Any answers???

Jaelay 05-25-2013 11:07 AM

I also have had this for the past couple months. My husband was told he had a virus, when he had this and some other symptoms. Wondering how long this has lasted for people.

sweetpotato13 05-25-2013 03:29 PM

My best guess is that you have what I have, and it is related to anxiety. It is called depersonalization. It's a feeling of being disconnected, or almost in a dream, as you walk through life. It's not uncommon. Best wishes to you, Amber.

Depersonalization disorder occurs when you persistently or repeatedly have a sense that things around you aren't real, or when you have the feeling that you're observing yourself from outside your body. Feelings of depersonalization can be very disturbing and may feel like you're losing your grip on reality or living in a dream.

Many people have a passing experience of depersonalization at some point. But when feelings of depersonalization keep occurring, or never completely go away, it's considered depersonalization disorder. Depersonalization disorder is more common in people who've had traumatic experiences.

Depersonalization disorder can be severe and may interfere with relationships, work and other daily activities. Treatments for depersonalization disorder include medications and psychotherapy.

1jono 05-30-2013 09:18 PM

Hey,

What you're experiencing sounds somewhat similar to what I've been experiencing off-and-on over the past 3 or so years. I've done lots of research online and the only thing that pops up are things about Derealization and Depersonalisation. However, I have this seed of doubt that they're not quite what it is i'm experiencing.

Let me tell you my story and perhaps others can relate to this as well..

I had just moved my sister into her new apartment on a hot August day and decided to go out with some buddies after I got home and we decided to smoke some (a lot) of marijuana - I probably (or apparently) smoked far too much. I woke up the next morning and felt fine. I got a shower and as soon as I got out of it out of nowhere this intense disconnected feeling came over me. I had no idea what was going on and was probably having a panic attack at that time. I was left in this stated for a good month. I was virtually unable to work, communicate with people (I could have conversations but it was almost like it was subconcious - like I wasn't really sure what it was I was talking about).

I went to the ER, had urine and blood samples done - found nothing. This feeling eventually went away on its own, it was very slow and very gradual, but it eventually did.

Over the past 2-3 I have had numerous vists to physicians and neurologists. I've had EEG's, MRI's the whole 9 yards and nothing has been found.

Let me try my best to explain how I feel when I am in this state and the patterns which I've found when it usually sets in.

First: I have noticed I tend to get into this state when I am generally tired; exhausted or under considerable stress (maybe there is a lot of change happening in life at that time - exams etc). Also, it seems to happen when there is a lot of activity in an area (such as people moving - like in a mall or grocery store). However when I concentrate on one object and lose focus on other people around me it fades away.

Now, how I feel when I am experiencing an "episode" (bare with me here, it is honestly the most difficult thing to explain - no doctor has ever understood what it was I was trying to say).

I seem to constantly be second-guessing myself. That is, for example if something doesn't work the way my brain is used to it happening then I begin to panic and can't think logically as to why it isn't working "properly". For example: I have an iPhone. If I press the circle power button to view my screen and it doesn't immediately the way it is supposed to the first time I will begin to panic and question why isn't this working? This happens and I can't logically reason that it just didn't work and there's nothing else to it.

A very dazed out, subconscious feeling. I feel like I'm just going through the motions, as if I'm not really there. People can talk to me, but I think it takes me more time than normal to produce a response (time distortion) and when I do respond, that's all it is, a vague response..with no emotion. I can walk fine, but again, I'm just going through the motions, I'm not really focusing on my walking, it's just a natural movement - I want to say it's a zombie-like state (keep in mind this was during the first time I experienced this, during the first few weeks - when it has happened since, I've learned to deal with it and I don't let it affect me as severely).

A lack of taste and lack of sensation in my fingertips (almost a numb feeling).

I have come up with two ways which I think can best describe these "episodes":

1) Take the feeling of being drunk. You're dazed and everything feels spaced out - but it's fun, because you don't know what's going on and you don't care. Take that same feeling (the dazed and spaced out), remove the fun (of not caring) and apply it to trying to live everyday life - trying to work, trying to drive, trying to walk, cook, study etc. It virtually stops you from being able to function normally - it's an impairment.

2) Now, for this one I'm not sure if everyone has experienced this but when you are very very very very fatigued. Imagine it's like 3am and you're awake but you're incredibly tired and you're just kinda going through the motions, you're awake but you're not really there (this one is hard to explain) and that is essentially what it is I feel when I'm having an "episode" - this feeling of uncertainty, second guessing everything that happens, over thinking situations, anticipation, lack on concentration, inability to make decisions and think critically.

To be honest that was the short version of my story and probably not the best edited or smoothest flowing (it's 12am and I'm tired coming off a long shift at work..sorry).

I would just like to add that these episodes are few and far between now for me. They seem to occur in it's mildest form when I am very tired and that's when I know it's time to pack it in and go to bed. I wake up refreshed and ready to go. On the rare occasion it does happen severely, it lasts for about a week (it seems to be spot on about it, comes on a Monday..gone the next Monday - but I've also learned to deal with it and push it aside).

I believe the key here is [U]fatigue[/U]. The pattern I have noticed is that it always strikes when I'm tired. Mix in the stress of exams and work with that and you've got a recipe for a severe "episode". I'm no doctor, but having suffered from this for 3 years and having no doctor being able to tell me what is wrong I have come to the conclusion that I'll have to figure it out on my own. All I can say is I'm pretty sure it is all psychological. There is nothing wrong with you that can (or needs to) be "cured", it's a trick which your complex brain is trying to play on you. My best advice is to learn to fight it, ignore it and don't let it consume you. As difficult as this may sound it is possible. Fight back and live your life. If you're tired go to bed, don't fight fatigue.

I sincerely hope reading this helps at least one person.

Cheers, and if you've read this far - thank you.

4MiMiDi 08-31-2013 11:00 AM

I thank you for your candor. I appreciate your post.

I'm experiencing such similar symptoms (and then some). Just had a brain MRI to present a baseline for Possible MS. I'm 52, and never experienced anything like this from the cognitive/neuro standpoint. It has dramatically affected me in the sense that I "fear" losing my brain functions. I just left an incredibly stressful job 4 months ago, and returned to a job I held 4 yrs prior. I had the right hours (no more swing, plus too much OT), in a pleasant office environment. Refreshing my memory to the old job should have been easy. Computer program changed from when I did the job previously, but was said by all to be much easier. Suddenly, instead of improving, and getting faster and more comfortable I got slower, and making frequent, "stupid" mistakes. So embarrassing to me. I was hired back without even an interview, because they knew me from past work, and felt I could do the job. Now I feel I'm making a fool of myself. My doc ordered the MRI to rule out MS, but also felt a possible Sjogren's syndrome link (also autoimmune, often mimics MS) because of a 15 yr battle with dry eye syndrome. With this syndrome (this seems to contradict, but is how it works), my eyes constantly water, and I'm constantly dabbing at them. People often think I'm crying (until they get to know me.). Just heard from the nurse that my MRI report says, "Impression: normal for aging." Now this should make me happy, but this is from a nurse, on a Saturday, following a missed call from the doctors office in which they asked me to call the office. I'm going thru a 3-day weekend now being able to reach nobody except the nurse at the urgent care section. I'm wondering if she simply isn't "allowed" to tell me more than that. My daughters counselor has become a good friend to me, and she simply thinks I'm suffering depression. Yes, I do have lots of stress, and a few heartaches going on right now other than work. Now that I was so happy to be back at my old job, why would this disconnect, brain fog, and constant mistakes be happening now???? I'm at a loss!

[QUOTE]

I believe the key here is [U]fatigue[/U]. The pattern I have noticed is that it always strikes when I'm tired. Mix in the stress of exams and work with that and you've got a recipe for a severe "episode". I'm no doctor, but having suffered from this for 3 years and having no doctor being able to tell me what is wrong I have come to the conclusion that I'll have to figure it out on my own. All I can say is I'm pretty sure it is all psychological. There is nothing wrong with you that can (or needs to) be "cured", it's a trick which your complex brain is trying to play on you. My best advice is to learn to fight it, ignore it and don't let it consume you. As difficult as this may sound it is possible. Fight back and live your life. If you're tired go to bed, don't fight fatigue.

I sincerely hope reading this helps at least one person.

Cheers, and if you've read this far - thank you.[/QUOTE]

nmitt3 09-03-2013 10:54 AM

Hello

I would like to talk to the initial person who posted in this, as you have just described what I have been going through for the past 4 months and no one seems to get it! I just had a baby 8 months ago an was perfectly healthy and had a wonderful pregnancy, then my baby girl was colic for 3-4 months and I was a full time student. Then all the sudden I start feeling like this, along with other things, and it hasn't gone away since! I don't even get a moments rest it's always there. I just keep praying that I could get back to normal, but it seems so hopeless. Are you still experiencing this? Did you ever get diagnosed?

I too feel it's worse when I am fatigued or in a chaotic situation with a lot of people like the mall, church, and engaging in a one on one conversation with people is very hard, hard to concentrate and my response is often emotionless and just trying to get the conversation over with! I am supposed to move to AFrica to do missions work in a year but I just don't know what's happening!

Anything you can say or any info would be great!

eileenapple 09-05-2013 10:01 PM

I hope you are feeling better if you still are not maybe these may help. First, you are 20 and you may be feeling a bit more stress now out in the real world and if you are a student it could be stress from that. I have had this feeling before, I call it my "foggy times" I was outside looking in and no one could understand. This first started in my early 20's. For me it ended up being stress. I dealt with it at first by doing calming things and learning meditation and I started with guided meditations. I still get like this from time to time, but now I am on medication for it. This does not have to be the case for you, mine goes alone with a medical condition that I have but I don't have yet sort of like a precursor. Try relaxing and talk to your doctor and explain to him exactly how you feel. I hope you feel better soon.

Bostonlove 10-03-2013 06:16 PM

Hi, I also have been experiencing the "disconnected" feeling you have. I am 17, currently in high school, and I only started getting the feeling after I got a concussion. I've only had the feeling for a couple days, but it is so frustrating already. I will walk down the hallway and feel like my head is floating in mid-air. When I look at a long series of words, my mind will blur my focus and I'll get the feeling that I have no body. It scares me. But I realize that I might be experiencing this due to the blow I took to the head.

I hope you find out what is! Stay strong.