It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
(male)

xyz120 HB User
Help! Feel Like I'm Slowly Dying

Hello, I have been feeling unwell for almost 8 years now and things are getting to the point where I feel like I am dying. I do not know what is going on with me, so I am posting with the hopes that someone will recognize some of my symptoms and possibly identify what I might be going through. I am desperate and appreciate any and all comments.

In the beginning when this whole thing started I was having problems sleeping at night and spent most of the days in a complete fog and almost disoriented from the lack of sleep I believe. I was put on Ativan for a week to relax me and help me sleep. After I caught up on my sleep I remember still experiencing the daily brain fog and spaced out feeling all the time. Felt as though my eyes would just wonder off in a daze.

It wasn’t too long after that I again was having problems with sleep and not able to get another prescription for Ativan I turned to alcohol as a way to relax me enough to sleep. Eventually I needed to drink more and more to do the trick… eventually I was consuming 6-10 drinks in an hour or two before bed. It didn’t take me too long to figure out that I had a problem.

I didn’t have a problem sleeping anymore, but I now had a problem with anxiety during the day… sometimes going for a drink on my lunch break to kind of take the edge off. I was finally able to get a doctor to look after me. He put me on Ativan for the anxiety which I took during the day and I would still drink during the night before bed. This is how I spent the next 4 or 5 years of my life, Ativan during the Day, Alcohol during the night. I quit drinking a few times because I felt so horrible all the time and when I did I would take sleeping pills at night.

All during this time I had problems with feeling spaced out all the time, fatigued, off balance feeling, stomache problems, and fast heart rate. Who wouldn’t have these problems after doing all that stuff to their body. Ohh, I almost forgot… I smoked for about 10 years as well. I was put on a beta blocker to help reduce my heart rate. I remember needing to take my beta blocker before having a cigarette otherwise my heart rate would get so high I would almost pass out. I knew I was on the path to destroying my life.

I quit smoking about 4 years ago and I can now count on two hands the number of drinks I have had in about 2 years. A couple of years ago I started having daily panic attacks, was feeling uptight and nervous all the time, was getting very short of breath… couldn’t even do simple chores anymore without feeling like I was going to pass out or die.

In February of 2010 things started to get worse for me. I got really dizzy for about 2 months straight… felt really funny… the floor even felt like it was moving when I walked. I went to the hospital a couple of times and they said it was Eustachian Tube Dysfunction and Allergies. I ended up going to a Chiropractor who adjusted my neck. I know that didn’t help immediately but the constant dizziness finally went away, however I all of a sudden started developing a huge number of floaters. I have never had a floater before ever but over the last year they have multiplied a lot. They are all of the transparent kind which I can see in great detail. I see the individual cells that make up the body of the floater, I can’t even count how many I see because it’s like a cob-web of them. I do notice a ton more when I squint my eyes looking out at the sky as well as wavy lines. In March I got another Sinus cold and developed tinnitus which was in one ear. This has gotten worse and I can’t say that it’s in any ear… it sounds just like a buzzing noise somewhere in my head.

In April I was fed up with how I was feeling so I did some research on Benzodiazapines which is what Ativan is and realized that it can cause all types of problems so I tapered myself off that ending it completely in July. I was hoping that it was the Ativan which was causing all my problems but I have been off of it for 7 months now and I can’t say that I notice any improvement. Actually things have gotten worse since being off of it. I know there is a pretty cruel withdrawal that can last a long time… but not convinced that that’s what is going on. I can say that I don’t have panic attacks anymore and I no longer need to take a beta blocker for my heart rate.

Here’s a list of symptoms that I am experiencing on a daily basis now

• Dizzy, wozziness, off balance feeling
• Feeling spaced out all the time, like my eyes are in a daze
• Concentration is terrible, brain fog all the time
• Feeling of pressure in my head
• Eyes feel unfocused
• Eye floaters
• Eye pain (they feel strained and tension like headache across my forehead and into temple area)
• Light sensitivity
• After images (especially when reading off a computer screen… if I look away I will see the text faintly on the wall for example)
• Tinnitus
• Dull ear ache feeling off and on
• Ears sometimes feel like they need to pop
• No energy at all, feeling fatigued all the time, yawning all day long
• Very gassy, mainly burping, and heart palpatations… even if I just drink water

Not sure if these are related or not

• Chronic nasal stuffiness, always clearing my throat
• Chronic stomache problems, inflamed, feeling nauseated all the time, tender when I push on it

Other symptoms which aren’t always present

• Headaches at base of skull which I believed to be Occipital Neuralgia (was getting these daily but now only get them maybe once a week)
• Muscles feel weak and heavy, legs feel jelley like
• When walking I sometimes feel resistance as if someone is pushing downward on my head
• I developed a twitch in my right eyelid which lasted 24/7 for 2 months
• Have had 5 or 6 sinus colds in the last year
• When I use an elevator now and get off I still feel like I am moving for a couple of minutes
• Pins and needles type feeling in my feet when I cross my legs

I would like to point out that the vision issues, dizziness, spaced out feelings get 10x worse when I am in a public place with bright lighting, turning my head a lot or any kind of exercise… even simple chores.

Tests that I have had done

Echocardiogram – which showed a leaky valve (doctor didn’t indicate any concern)
EKG – showed tachycardia
Endoscopy – no problems (done in 2007)
CT of Cervical spine – indicated a cyst or abnormal blood vessel (requested an MRI)
MRI of Cervical spine – confirmed abnormal (large) blood vessel and degeneration (doctor didn’t indicate any concern)
MRI of head – normal
EEG – results not back yet
Blood – has shown in the past borderline low thyroid levels
Lyme Disease – tested negative
Candida – I believe this is controversial
Autoimmune Disease of some sort

I have seen an ENT who did a septoplasty to correct a deviated septum… absolutely no improvement. He then said my ENT issues were allergy related.

I had allergy testing done and they showed I was allergic to dust and maple trees. Antihistamines and allergy shots had no impact at all.

I have also seen an Optometrist 3x who confirmed that there are no problems with my eyes

I am scheduled to see a Neurologist who I am praying will finally be able to put an end to this.

Things I have considered to be wrong

• MAV – Migraine Associated Vertigo
• TMJ Disorder
• Inner Ear problems
• Neck problems
• Lyme Disease – even though the blood test was negative
• Anxiety disorder? (although I think my anxiety is caused by not knowing what is going on)
• H-Plyori – currently awaiting a test for this in March

I know most people will say to stop worrying about things so much but the truth is I’m not really worried… I feel more relaxed now than I have the last 8 years of my life… however I can tell there is physically something wrong with my body and can feel myself slowly fading away. I know there is something wrong that hasn’t been identified yet. If I have to live with this stuff the rest of my life then I can deal with it, I just want to know what’s going on. If anyone has any comments please let me know. I feel like I am slowly dying.

Thanks in advance.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: xyz120
flaovrs77 (10-21-2011), tobad (03-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
(male)

saltyk9 HB Usersaltyk9 HB Usersaltyk9 HB User
Re: Help! Feel Like I'm Slowly Dying

I'm sorry to hear everything you have gone and are going through.
While reading your post, I immediately thought TMJ... pretty much all of your symptoms can be those of TMJ. You said you considered that but it was not the case... how did you find this out?
I still think this may be your case but please explain how you got checked out for that and we'll go from there.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
(male)

xyz120 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyk9 View Post
I'm sorry to hear everything you have gone and are going through.
While reading your post, I immediately thought TMJ... pretty much all of your symptoms can be those of TMJ. You said you considered that but it was not the case... how did you find this out?
I still think this may be your case but please explain how you got checked out for that and we'll go from there.
Hi and thanks for your response. I have considered this to be a possibility but have not ruled it out. On my last visit to the dentist he asked me if I grind my teeth because the xray revealed a great deal of wear on my teeth, which are all the same length now. The only thing is I have read about TMJ and although my symptoms may suggest that, I don't seem to have pain in my jaw when eating.

I can pop my jaw on one side if I move my jaw from side to side... I don't know if thats normal or not. Also, the pain I get in my eyes and across my forehead and down into my temple area only seems to be there on days when I wake up in the morning with it. Maybe this suggests clenching or teeth grinding?

I don't ever notice grinding or clenching at night time... but who would if they are sleeping. I just keep thinking that my Jaw should hurt more if it were TMJ wouldn't it?

Also, the eye floaters and tinnitus are there 24/7 and if they were TMJ related would they not only be there when having a flare up of TMJ?

Thanks again for your post... I look forward in hearing back from you.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi first of all I would like to encourage a person to stay off medicines they only make a burden for the body to eliminate and for it to recover.

Second Candida is a known cause of brain fog.

Third exercise is said by some to be a blood purifer. Some substances stay in the body a very long time (at least one drug 5 years). How much water is used a day?
What is the diet like?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
(male)

xyz120 HB User

I drink a good amount of water, 5 glasses a day usually. My diet consists mainly of meats, fish, rice, fruits and veggies. I can't seem to eat the things I used to... Packaged foods, pastas, etc... They hurt my stomache. I don't get much for exercise because of how I feel, however I am slowly starting to do a few things now. I am not overweight either. 5 foot 6, 145lbs

The following user gives a hug of support to xyz120:
mumof2em (11-17-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi at 145 pounds they say about 9 glasses of water or slightly more is probably better in my opinion. I would not use fish which often contains mercury which is very bad for the nervous system in children who are developing and in my opinion not good for adults brains or nervous system either. Most refined foods are not that healthy anyway according to some people. Has whole wheat pasta, corn pasta and rice pasta been tried? Hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
(male)

After reading your most recent post it sounds even more to me like TMJ. You certainly would not notice yourself clenching and grinding at night because you are asleep. The fact that your teeth are losing enamel and shortening should be proof that this is in fact taking place. Another would be if you feel very 'stuffed' and achy in the morning (due to the fact you've been bruxing away all night long".

I too have TMJ and do not have pain in my jaw. IF you have TMJ, and it developed from all of the clenching and grinding, this is what happens...
your teeth are not the same as they were before. The way that your teeth come together (your lower and upper jaw) is known as occlusion and when that is not in the correct position, everything gets thrown out of wack. Since your teeth are now shorter, your upper and lower jaw are now meeting in the incorrect place when your teeth come together (everytime you chew, swallow, sleep, etc.) and this puts unnecessary strain on all of the surrounding muscles. Do you get stiff/sore muscles of the neck and shoulders?

This is the reason that your tinnitus is not just occurring during TMJ 'flares' but rather all the time. Because until you can have that relationship fixed where your jaws are meeting correctly and your muscles are working in harmony, you will always have this problem and most likely it will get worse. I urge you to check out the TMJ forums on this board and read some of the other posts and see if it resonates with your problem at all.

Good luck.

This is pulled from one of the sticky posts on that forum.

The Kinnie-Funt Visual Index of Head, Neck and Facial Pain and TMJ Dysfuction:

Eye Pain and Eye Problems:
- eye pain above, below, behind
- bloodshot eyes
- blurring of vision
- bulging appearance
- pressure behind the eyes
- light sensitivity
- watering of the eyes
- drooping of the eye lid

Head Pain, Headache Problems, Facial Pain:
- forehead pain
- temporal pain
- "migraine" type headache
- "cluster-type" headache
- sinus headache under the eyes
- posterior headaches, back of head, with or without shooting pains
- hair and/or scalp painful to touch

Mouth, Face, Cheek, and Chin Problems:
- discomfort or pain to any of these areas
- limited opening
- inability to open the jaw smoothly or evenly
- jaw deviates to one side when opening
- inability to "find bite" with teeth

Teeth and Gum Problems:
- clenching or grinding at night
- looseness and or soreness of back teeth
- tooth pain

Jaw and Jaw Joint Problems:
- clicking, popping jaw joints
- grating sounds
- jaw locking opened or closed
- pain in cheek muscles
- uncontrollable jaw or tongue movements

Ear Pain, Ear Problems, and Postural Imbalances:
- hissing, buzzing, ringing, or roaring sounds
- diminished hearing
- ear pain - without infection
- clogged, stuffy, "itchy" ears, feeling of fullness
- balance problems, "vertigo", dizziness, or disequilibrium

Throat Problems:
- swallowing difficulties
- tightness of throat
- sore throat without infection
- voice fluctuations
- laryngitis
- frequent coughing or constant clearing of throat
- feeling of foreign object in throat
- tongue pain
- salivation (intense)
- pain of the hard palate in the mouth

Neck and Shoulder Problems:
- lack of mobility - reduced range of movement
- stiffness
- neck pain
- tired, sore neck muscles
- shoulder aches
- back pain upper and lower
- arm and finger tingling, numbness and or pain

Last edited by saltyk9; 02-02-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: expanding

Old 02-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
(male)

xyz120 HB User

Thanks for your response, it was very helpful. I see a lot of my symptoms on that list. What can be done to help a person with TMJ? My dentist told me last time I was there that I might have to get a nightguard to protect my teeth but how does that help with controlling my symptoms because even though the nightguard is in I might still be clenching or grinding right? Any thoughts?

thanks again.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
(male)

Well I think the most successful treatment for TMJ is neuromuscular dentistry. This is the school of thought that TMJ stems from having bad occlusion and neuromuscular dentistry aims to correct your occlusion so that your teeth are coming together in the correct position. This is the position in which all of your muscles of mastication are in their most relaxed, resting position.
It can be pretty pricey but sometimes you have to make a decision on what is most important. If you do decide to go this route, do a lot of "shopping around" so to speak to find someone that deals with a lot of TMJ cases, rather than just cosmetic dentistry. Do some searching in the web about neuromuscular dentistry and understand what it is all about and see if it makes sense. You can find information on the entire process, all the equipment they use, etc.
Hope that helps. If you need help locating you can try the ICCMO website or LVI website.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
(female)

Hemma HB User

I am short on time right now but really felt like I needed to respond and visit with you now! You and I are identical! I am so grateful for those like you that are bold enough to describe their symptoms even when they seem so strange along with personal struggles as you have. This as you know is life-consuming and simply debilitating and I am determined to find out what in the world it is. I can tell you that the one thing that has made the episodes shorter and more bearable is drinking tons of water! The strange thing for me is when I am having an episode drinking water is the last thing I want to do and I literally have to force it on myself. I am fairly confident that this problem is a result from many different issues. With all the research that I have done on this I have come up with some common threads. Many of them are posted in your responses. The question is, what do you do so you never ever have to experience another episode like this again. I know what it can do to you. I have 3 small children, really an amazing life, and it would get so bad at times that I have thought that I really couldn't handle it again! Can I ask what you have done so far? I have to go, but I really want to visit with you again on this.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
(female)

Hemma HB User

Ask your dentist about an NTI it is new, FDA approved and actually PREVENTS you from grinding. I have one and swear on it. I sure hope this helps you.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-23-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 02-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
(female)

amccullum22 HB User

Oh my goodness, I seriously cried when I read your post as I have the EXACT same symptoms. The most challenging and disturbing are all of the head symptoms (e.g. brain fog, disorientation, spacey, heavy feeling). It almost feels like I am constantly trying to stay in control. Like I am not getting enough oxygen.

My Brain MRI was normal also. I used to be able to take benzos to help cope with the symptoms but am 5 weeks pregnant and just found out that there's a link with benzos and facial malformations. I've been taking them off and on all while I was pregnant.

I, too, have researched this to death, trying to find something to get myself out of this hell. I could not live like this for 8 years. I look forward to seeing what your neurologist says. I am being referred to an internal medicine doctor, as my symptoms really started after my first flu vaccination in Nov, 2010.

I am going to try a mouth guard to see if it may be due to grinding my teeth at night but at this point I am not hopeful. I feel like I am living in hell. And now that I am pregnant and not able to take a benzo to help me cope, I am scared beyond belief.

I look forward to following up with you and seeing if you are diagnosed. You may also want to research POTS, as I've questioned whether this may be the cause.

I sympathize we you and hope we find answers soon!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #13
(male)

jashn HB User

Hi, I've been having a lot of the same problems for the last 4 years. And I also describe mine as feeling like I'm dying. The ones I have similiar to yours are:

• Dizzy, wozziness, off balance feeling
• Feeling spaced out all the time, like my eyes are in a daze
• Concentration is terrible, brain fog all the time
• Feeling of pressure in my head
• Eyes feel unfocused
• Eye floaters
• Eye pain (they feel strained and tension like headache across my forehead and into temple area)
• Light sensitivity
• After images (especially when reading off a computer screen… if I look away I will see the text faintly on the wall for example)
• No energy at all, feeling fatigued all the time, yawning all day long
• Very gassy, mainly burping, and heart palpatations… even if I just drink water

Ones that I have that you did not mention are:

• A feeling of pressure in my left side under rib cage, sometimes making feel like it's hard to breath
• had to have Gal Bladder removed due to Gal Stones
• Terrible Anxiety and Depression
• Feeling of pressure in my chest and excessive worrying that I'm going to have a heart attack even though my EKG always looks fine

The only diagnosis I've ever gotten is that I have a Hiatal hernia, which they say causes most of the symptoms including the gas (burping), the pain in my side, the pressure in my chest.

All the rest of it, I keep getting told, are symptoms of anxiety.....more or less they keep telling me it's all in my mind.

I would be very interested in seeing what you learn on here so that I can come up with new things to ask my doctor about, to maybe finally get some decent help.

One question I want to ask you though is, before all this started was there a tramatic event in your life that might have lead to any of these symptoms like your lack of sleep and initial anxiety?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
(female)

oceanwatcher28 HB User

I have the same symptons... these are common symptons for different things. But, mine are allergies ,mostly mold.
Have you been tested for allergies? Have you tested your home for mold? You can purchase a home test for mold from sears on-line. Then, send it into their lab and they will email the results back to you.
Alot of these symptons are also, from chemical sensitivities, which I have had for 15 years. Hope you find your answers and get better soon

Last edited by moderator2; 03-08-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: too much quote

Old 03-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
(female)

oceanwatcher28 HB User

What color are your floaters?

The Following User Says Thank You to oceanwatcher28 For This Useful Post:
sjb (03-08-2011)
Closed Thread