It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

BelovedPugsley HB User
Question Dercum's disease, not fatty tumors. These are painful!

Does anyone have updated information on Dercum's disease? It is impossible to get some sleep when you awaken throughout the night from laying on these painful lumps. To use my arms during the day is also very painful.

They say it looks like obesity, but I am only 40 lbs overweight and it's mostly the lumps.

I'm guessing a lot of people have Dercum's and don't know about it. I think it involves the fascia which would explain the overall pain.

THere is not a lot of helpful information on Dercum's. Cutting them out is not the answer; they cover a large area. Please give suggestions if you have any.

The following user gives a hug of support to BelovedPugsley:
TARDIS (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
(female)

TARDIS HB User
Re: Dercum's disease, not fatty tumors. These are painful!

There isn't a lot of reliable information about Dercum's Disease online. The Dercums Disease community is beset with quackery of all kinds, offering quack remedies to the gullible and the desperate. They recently grouped it with "fat disorders", probably because some people with Dercums also have Lipedema. I have Dercum's Disease and am not overweight. The lipomas are either compressing nerves or have grown on nerves which causes chronic nerve pain. Contrary to what you will read in online communities, there is a lack of scientific data on the use of integrative therapies for the treatment of Dercums. There is no proof that diet and supplements could help with the disease. The cause is unknown and the only proven treatment at this time is pain relief medications and/or surgical removal.

The following user gives a hug of support to TARDIS:
BelovedPugsley (08-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

BelovedPugsley HB User
Re: Dercum's disease, not fatty tumors. These are painful!

Thank you, Tardis, for the information. You have obviously researched the condition, and It is good to hear from someone who has some experience with it.

Since that posting in March, I have lost 20 lbs; and I've been taking high doses of magnesium along with other supplements. I don't know exactly what brought about the change, but there is not near the pain level from the lumps. The lumps haven't decreased at all, though, and at times it is still painful to lie on either side where there is a large lump very close to the hip joint. I can use my arms without pain now, but there are still many lumps. It's a mystery to me what has changed, but I'm grateful!

Closed Thread