It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
(female)

Wiloughby HB User
Chiari and small foramen magnum

Hello,
I was just recently diagnosed with Chiari 1 malformation, complicated by a small foramen magnum. I was also told that I need surgery for both these conditions.
I must say, after reading so many posts on this site about surgeries that haven't exactly worked out well for people, that I'm considering not having it at all. I mean, why go through some pretty major and invasive surgery, only to have the absolutely unbearable symptoms return?
I was in a very bad skiing accident in January. Wrapped myself around a tree and knocked my head, giving myself a severe concussion. my symptoms began about a month later. I consider myself lucky to be diagnosed in such a short amount of time. I'm optimistic that the nerve damage hasn't gotten to the point of no return, and that If I do decide to go through with the surgery, that it will have lasting results.
I plan to get a second opinion, maybe a third or fourth, for that matter. I mean, this is my brain we are talking about- right?
And, I'm terribly frightened.
Any replies about the small foramen magnum complication will be greatly appreciated.
My heart goes out to those who are suffering here.
Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread