It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
(female)

morganc HB User
brain muscle spasms

Ive always had muscle spasms in my body - relatively harmless although kind of "freaky" as I've had them where they will last over a minute of just a random part in my arm or leg or stomach that just quivers up and down randomly without any pain involved. But - lately, I've been getting these what feel like muscle spasms in my brain and its always in the same area (left side from back to front). They are hot and they HURT while it is happening. I immediately hold that part of my head as if its going to help and just stand there with my eyes closed hoping it will pass. They last anywhere from 5 seconds to 10 seconds and sometimes a few happen consecutively. Afterward that area remains warm for minutes or longer afterward (not to the touch but my brain feels hot in that area).

Is this something relatively common or something anyone else has experienced? It is really scary while it is happening. Im in between doctors right now so decided to post here to get some insight thanks!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: brain muscle spasms

First, you are talking about spasms of the scalp...not the brain. The brain has no muscles. But scalp muscles can and do contract as you have described. Most of the time, it's just a nerve irritation and the result is a twitchy muscle. And if the nerve is really irritated, it can hurt as well and the burning, hot sensation you describe is exactly what an irritated or even inflamed nerve feels like. The difference between inflammation and irritation is that the inflamed nerve doesn't stop right away and can keep up for hours and even days.

If you start to find that you have muscle weakness in these muscles that twitch, then see your doctor. That means something more is happening. In the meantime, why not try taking some Vit. B complex. Nerves need all the Vit. B's to function well and perhaps you are low in one or several of them. It can't hurt to take a supplement as the B's are water soluble and if you take too much, the body will just wash it out. So grab a bottle and see if it helps.

I did this after breaking my neck and had tons of muscle spasms due to nerve damage and the Vit. B's helped a lot. Helped the damaged nerves to heal and helped to stop the muscle spasms. Give it a try.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
(female)

morganc HB User
Re: brain muscle spasms

Wow. I couldn't have gotten a better answer - thanks for all the info!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
(female)

Destinyawaitsx HB User
Exclamation Re: brain muscle spasms

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
First, you are talking about spasms of the scalp...not the brain. The brain has no muscles. But scalp muscles can and do contract as you have described. Most of the time, it's just a nerve irritation and the result is a twitchy muscle. And if the nerve is really irritated, it can hurt as well and the burning, hot sensation you describe is exactly what an irritated or even inflamed nerve feels like. The difference between inflammation and irritation is that the inflamed nerve doesn't stop right away and can keep up for hours and even days.

If you start to find that you have muscle weakness in these muscles that twitch, then see your doctor. That means something more is happening. In the meantime, why not try taking some Vit. B complex. Nerves need all the Vit. B's to function well and perhaps you are low in one or several of them. It can't hurt to take a supplement as the B's are water soluble and if you take too much, the body will just wash it out. So grab a bottle and see if it helps.

I did this after breaking my neck and had tons of muscle spasms due to nerve damage and the Vit. B's helped a lot. Helped the damaged nerves to heal and helped to stop the muscle spasms. Give it a try.

I have the exact same thing happen to me it used to happen every other day, then for a short period of time daily. And then it slowly decreased and I am unsure as to why. It just happened to me again today which is how I found your post as I searched "brain spasms", and was looking into researching about it.

I know I've had a lot of sezuires and fainted alot in my past. I'm always weak and tired and lack important nutrients.

I was worried as to what might happen if I start driving and I wasn't fully sure I thought it would be safe for me or any other person on the road. As its unpredictable and there is no way to really stop it. When I get it, it makes me jump almost like a big twitch of my full body usually, or arms or legs. And I also press down on it too.

I like to sleep sometimes when I have them because I hate the feeling. Then I get a weird feeling afterwards and almost like a pins and needles effect.

I have a lot of health issues and have been tested for many different things. For this and related events the doctors thought I could be epileptic so they had don't an EEG, catscan, MRI. Ect incase I may be epeptic, have a blood clot in my brain or could possibly have cancer.

But after all of the tests and also more on my heart. No abnormalities were found.

If you would like to know about me or my health I would be glad to answer all of your questions.

Closed Thread