It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
(female)

Scribbler128 HB User
essential tremor

My dad has an essential tremor. Doctors said there is no cure and will only offer treatment once he can't tie up shoe laces or drink, for example. They say the later you start medication, the better, because the effectiveness will be prolonged.

Yet when I saw my doctor about my essential tremor, she mentioned beta blockers...and I don't have it as bad as my dad.

I'm confused. Help?

Old 02-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
(male)

NerveEnding HB UserNerveEnding HB User
Re: essential tremor

I would suggest that your dad's physicians are...mistaken. There are several types of medicines that can help essential tremor, beta blockers being one of the classes. There may be reasons why he can't go on some of the medicines, but to say there is nothing to offer is incorrect.

There is no cure, but there are treatments, including possibly surgery. If the tremors aren't bothersome, one doesn't have to get treatment in that this is not a life-threatening disease in the way that something like heart problems might be. If his tremor is in his neck, it can often be remarkably resistant to the medicines.

The line about starting the medication later prolonging the effectiveness is simply wrong. The physician is probably thinking of one of the Parkinson medicines for which this falsehood is marginally less false.

Where does your father live? If there is an academic movement disorders neurologist, that would be the ideal person for him to see.

BTW, essential tremor often runs in families. If you are on a medicine that helps, it will probably help your father as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler128 View Post
My dad has an essential tremor. Doctors said there is no cure and will only offer treatment once he can't tie up shoe laces or drink, for example. They say the later you start medication, the better, because the effectiveness will be prolonged.

Yet when I saw my doctor about my essential tremor, she mentioned beta blockers...and I don't have it as bad as my dad.

I'm confused. Help?

The Following User Says Thank You to NerveEnding For This Useful Post:
knightayan (02-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread