It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

88Girl HB User
Spreading skin numbness, dizziness, vision probs

I am currently waiting to see a neurologist. About 4 weeks ago my left pinky finger went numb (not completely but significant loss of sensation), which soon spread up my arm and then to my back (left kidney area), both sides of the back of my neck and the left side of my scalp and forehead and both sides of my nose and under both eyes and above my top lip. The numbness comes and goes but then I started getting dizziness and vision problems. Started with snowy vision in my left eye and then like a flashy spot just underneath my centre of vision. This then spread exactly the same to my right eye so I now see the flashy spot with both eyes open, although its worse with dim light.

In the last couple of days I have become a bit unsteady/clumsy on my feet and have noticed I've said odd things a few times, such as just a few minutes ago replying 'no please' when offered some soup by my mum :S

My Dr suspects MS I think, which is why he has referred me for a neuro appt, although I difn't think all this would happen so quickly with that, I had no symptoms less than a month ago!

There are other (possible) symptoms though which I assumed arent related, who knows though. I have always got headaches when slouching on the couch or sleeping on anything other than a bed with 1 pillow. I can never go on any rollercoasters etc as they give me intense headaches that last many hours. I also have bad posture - when I'm standing my head seems to point forwards more than other people with the top of my back sticking out a bit backwards. When I sit my natural position is with a rounded back and I have to constantly force a more upright position. My left ribs also seem to stick out a lot more than the right but maybe this is the same with everyone.

About 2 years ago I also got a bad spell of dizziness but this went on its own. I have also had a fast heartbeat since at least 11 years old with occasional palpitations more recently.

Any ideas? Neuro appt. Is weeks away yet. I have had blood tests (don't know what they included!) which came back normal and an x ray of my neck for which I am still waiting for the results.

Last edited by 88Girl; 07-01-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
(female)

powergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB User
Re: Spreading skin numbness, dizziness, vision probs

It is always good to rule out MS or anything like that since MS symptoms are identical to literally hundreds of other health problems - so I would try not to get too anxious about seeing the neurologists regarding MS.

I know it is easier said than done having been there myself.

The neurologist will probably order a brain and spinal MRI to look at what's going on or what is not going on....

It may be that you have a curved spine - called scoliosis - (might be why you have a hunched back as you describe?) - this can cause muscles to spasm and muscles to impinge nerves which causes numbness, tingling etc....Scoliosis can cause a host of problems affecting nerves and because the nerves exit the spinal column - your whole body can be affected.....

If you haven't already, definitely see an eye doctor and make sure that your eyes are okay - and if you wear glasses that your prescription hasn't changed etc. You can develop things called floaters and/or flashers in your eyes that can cause the symptoms you are experiencing with your vision and balance....ruling these things out helps to better define what is going on.

Having experienced some of the same symptoms you are experiencing - I can tell you it can take a long time to get a diagnosis of any kind. It is good that your doctor is immediately trying to rule out MS - get that out of the way and then the doctor can concentrate on other things as being the source of your symptoms....

Keep us posted on what is happening....I am currently awaiting a brain and spinal scan for similar reasons....and although I am a bit freaked that the word MS keeps coming up -I know that even if that is the diagnosis, it is what it is - I cannot change a thing by worrying about it so I am trying to remain calm....not working so well LOL

God Speed and keep us updated please.

Closed Thread