It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Brain & Nervous System Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
(male)

trooper50 HB User
VP SHUNT at 50...

Hello everyone. First and foremost, thank you for providing a forum where we can learn from one another.

Background: Retired US Army Infantry Paratrooper. Boxed for the Army during the first two years of my Army career before being diagnosed with a Post Concussion after being knocked around the ring a few times. Well, this was in the early 80's and I've been living with headaches since.

On 3 July 12 I finally convinced a Army doctor that I needed a CT SCAN done and that my problem was not dehydration; I drink plenty of water... Long story short, the scan/film showed a left side subdural fluid collection. Doctor stated the fluid had been accumulating on the left side of my brain for a very long time...

On 5 July 12, I had a procedure know as a Burr Hole in order to release pressure and possibly give me some relieve. However, the fluid collection continued. As you can imagine, I had a terrible 4th of July weekend... Doing the Fasting thing in preparation for next day surgery...

On 16 JULY 12, a VP Shunt was installed.... Although I'm 50, I am a very outgoing person who loves to workout etc... In fact, last summer I completed the 'Insanity' workout program.

That said, I feel my life has drastically changed forever.... Will I ever be able to workout or even play ball with my soon? Also, I've read cases (Not scientific research) where folks have had several Shunt replacements. If you have had this procedure done, you know it's not fun. Therefore, the last thing I want is to have someone drill my head again, in that Ive had two done within weeks apart.

I realize the shunt surgery was a little over a month ago, but I'm still having chronic headaches and my neck is always stiffed; it hurts to move my head!

Man, the more I research (Anecdotal data) the more depress I feel reading mainly horror stories about VP Shunt surgeries... Any positive outcomes out there for individuals that meet my demographics; male who suffered a traumatic brain injury back in the 80's and who at the age of 50 had two surgeries, last one being a VP Shunt install will be greatly appreciated by me and my family.

Additional background. Veterans Affair recently approved my claim for Traumatic Brain injury caused by trauma/boxing... I've been out of work for a little over a month and want to get back ASAP.

That said, I don't feel physically capable to work anytime soon. I guess I can always claim disability/social security etc., but I really want to work. I've been working since the age of 17 (20 years as a US Army, Infantry Paratrooper) and (13 as GS/Federal government employee). Don't see myself retiring at the age of 50.

Any recommendations lessons learned etc you want to share will be greatly appreciated. Before I forget, my ears won't stop buzzing! Thank you.

Last edited by trooper50; 08-20-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread